dizzy spells

Iwantahealthierme30
Iwantahealthierme30 Posts: 293 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
What am I lacking? most days I'm fine on 1610 calories but today just randomly and last night after exercising I've been dizzy. I don't normally eat lunch, but after eating a couple of samosas at work today I feel fine. Yesterday I was fine after eating yogurt. I think I had too much sugar yesterday.

Diary is open

Replies

• JodehFoster
    JodehFoster Posts: 419 Member
    edited February 2018
    low blood sugar & dehydration can cause dizziness.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Low blood sugar? Consider spacing out your calories a bit differently so you don't have those dips. I also have never heard of too many carbs causing dizziness.
  • I didn't work out on an empty stomach, it was an hour after dinner.
  • JodehFoster
    edited February 2018
    after eating a couple of samosas at work today I feel fine. Yesterday I was fine after eating yogurt.
    ^
    this points to it being a blood sugar issue.

Have you ever had a blood glucose tolerance screen? May want to schedule yourself for a physical with your physician and mention your dizziness along with diet.
  • I read it in places talking about insulin resistance but I'm not diabetic nor pre-diabetic nor doing keto so I guess it's not that, still need to meet my protein goal for today though, I was planning on eating pasta tonight but I realized that would put me over on carbs.
  • JodehFoster
    have you been tested?
  • after eating a couple of samosas at work today I feel fine. Yesterday I was fine after eating yogurt.
    ^
    this points to it being a blood sugar issue.

Have you ever had a blood glucose tolerance screen? May want to schedule yourself for a physical with your physician and mention your dizziness along with diet.

Not that I know of. Do they screen that in a blood test?
  • You could just be coming down with something. Could be dehydrated. Could have exerted yourself more than usual. Could have not gotten enough sleep the night before. Carbs are highly unlikely to be causing dizziness.

Thanks.
  • Skworon
    Skworon Posts: 40 Member
    I have trouble with my ears that cause random dizzy spells.
  • JodehFoster
    edited February 2018

Not that I know of. Do they screen that in a blood test?

Yeah, you would know if you've had it done, it's hours long. I had it done years ago due to dizziness and my father is diabetic.

to quote endocrineweb, "The oral glucose tolerance test is conducted by measuring blood glucose levels 5 times over a period of 3 hours. In a person without diabetes, the glucose levels in the blood rise following drinking the glucose drink, but then they fall quickly back to normal (because insulin is produced in response to the glucose, and the insulin has a normal effect of lowing blood glucose)."

They have you drink a "glucola" bottle with a high amount of sugar in it, then draw your blood many times over a few hours and measure how your body is processing the glucose as shown by the levels measured.

• have you been tested?

I've had a blood test recently and my sugar was fine.
  • JodehFoster
    edited February 2018
    a simple "blood test" is not a glucose tolerance screen and wouldn't be representative of a diabetic test.

but anyway, I hope you get the answer you want.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Dizziness could be any number of things: ear infection, low blood sugar, low blood pressure, etc. It may or may not be related at all to your diet. If it continues for more than a few days, I would see a doctor.
  • a simple "blood test" is not a glucose tolerance screen and wouldn't be representative of a diabetic test.

but anyway, I hope you get the answer you want.

Oh, that's what I thought you meant, no I've not been tested, don't have diabetes in the family and this isn't an every day thing but I was the one who gave you the "insightful" tag so thank you.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2018
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    Low blood sugar? Consider spacing out your calories a bit differently so you don't have those dips. I also have never heard of too many carbs causing dizziness.

Maybe if someone had issues with their liver, heart, brain or pancreas. Many causes for dizziness including too fast of a weight loss.

I say go to your dr, as a dr could test you for electrolyte imbalances, diabetes, etc, etc.

Not good to diagnose yourself, or go online and have strangers without medical degrees diagnose you. Jmo