Eating enough while on phentermine

Options
I’ve been on phentermine for 3 days and I’ve been struggling to eat 1200 calories a day, closest I got was 1100. Any tips? Also, I only felt crazy energy and dry mouth on the first day. No trouble sleeping, I'm not even dreaming... I’m sleeping better actually. Just need to work on making my calorie goals. Please share your experiences.

Replies

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating more calorie dense foods?
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    What strength are you on? Maybe go on a lower dose. You can also ask your dr about Lomeira. It's an 8 mg dose taken up to 3x a day. Maybe eat more late in the day as it wears off. It's tough because it really suppresses your appetite like it's supposed to.
  • GoalGal50
    GoalGal50 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Be careful don’t stay on it too long... the potential damage to your organs definitely won’t be worth it. If you follow MFP with/without exercise you will get you to your goal. Speaking from experience...
  • transformationofsoul
    Options

That’s my goal for this week. I was previously on a low carb diet and that was already suppressing my appetite and cravings. I’m trying add carbs back into my diet little by little.

• Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

That’s my goal for this week. I was previously on a low carb diet and that was already suppressing my appetite and cravings. I’m trying add carbs back into my diet little by little.

You can just cut out the lowered fat options. Instead of eggwhite, have a full egg, full fat yogurt, etc.
  • transformationofsoul
    Options
    GoalGal50 wrote: »
    Be careful don’t stay on it too long... the potential damage to your organs definitely won’t be worth it. If you follow MFP with/without exercise you will get you to your goal. Speaking from experience...

I definitely do not plan to be on this long term. My doctor told me 6 months top. He told me to force myself to eat and to take advantage during this time to learn how to eat healthy. He suggested the South Beach Diet. Right now I’m focusing primarily in my nutrition and adding in exercise gradually.
  • transformationofsoul
    Options
    What strength are you on? Maybe go on a lower dose. You can also ask your dr about Lomeira. It's an 8 mg dose taken up to 3x a day. Maybe eat more late in the day as it wears off. It's tough because it really suppresses your appetite like it's supposed to.

To be completely honest, I don’t even know. I have to check when I get home later today. Thank you for your suggestions.
  • Sandythinandfit
    Sandythinandfit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it. After a week, you'll be eating normally, just will have a smaller appetite and be able to control your eating. I was on it and lost 40 pounds in 6 months. It sucks, but after awhile it stops working. I can't take it now, it doesn't work at all for me. I'm starting back again. I started eating badly and gaining weight. For me it's all about logging my food. That helps more than anything.

Please friend me! :)
  • Sandythinandfit
    Options

I never heard of Lomeira. Is it stronger than regular Phen? I think taking a lower dose 3 times a day makes more sense. Regular dose of Phen is about 30mg.

• melissa6771
    edited February 2018
    Options

I never heard of Lomeira. Is it stronger than regular Phen? I think taking a lower dose 3 times a day makes more sense. Regular dose of Phen is about 30mg.

No, phen comes in 15, 30, and 37.5. This is only 8 mg up to three times a day. Doesn't mean you have to take it three times, 1,2 or 3 depending what the dr tells you. They can en be split in half to make it more customized because they are a tablet instead of a capsule. Even so, total for three doses is only 24 mg. Should make it easier to ween off of, not give as much jitters, etc.
  • transformationofsoul
    Options
    Don't worry about it. After a week, you'll be eating normally, just will have a smaller appetite and be able to control your eating. I was on it and lost 40 pounds in 6 months. It sucks, but after awhile it stops working. I can't take it now, it doesn't work at all for me. I'm starting back again. I started eating badly and gaining weight. For me it's all about logging my food. That helps more than anything.

You're absolutely right, feel much better (appetite wise) today. Not STARVING, no cravings but if I don't eat every 3 hours my stomach starts to growl. Taking it a day at a time, a 80 lbs weight loss is overwhelming to think about. Focusing my energy primarily on changing my habits.
  • Sandythinandfit
    Options

You're absolutely right, feel much better (appetite wise) today. Not STARVING, no cravings but if I don't eat every 3 hours my stomach starts to growl. Taking it a day at a time, a 80 lbs weight loss is overwhelming to think about. Focusing my energy primarily on changing my habits.

Yay! Just keep logging your food. That helps me tremendously. I hope it helps you too.

The first day I logged, I was honest. I ate 4 cupcakes and had a bottle of wine. My calories were 3200. When I log, I don't eat junk because I don't want to see it in writing.

I am so psyched Phen is working again for me. I quit around Thanksgiving. It wasn't doing anything. No appetite suppression. However, when I quit, I really packed on the pounds, so maybe it was working more than I thought. I took one yesterday, and one today, and my appetite is definitely down. I didn't snack after dinner last night. Hallelujah
  • Sandythinandfit
    Options

No, phen comes in 15, 30, and 37.5. This is only 8 mg up to three times a day. Doesn't mean you have to take it three times, 1,2 or 3 depending what the dr tells you. They can en be split in half to make it more customized because they are a tablet instead of a capsule. Even so, total for three doses is only 24 mg. Should make it easier to ween off of, not give as much jitters, etc.

Thanks. I read the info on their site. I asked my doctor about it. He said if Phen isn't working anymore, this definitely won't. And that I can only take it 12 weeks. He kept me on Phen for a year. The last 2 days Phen worked, so fingers crossed he will let me. It makes so much more sense to take it 3 times a day.
  • melissa6771
    Options
    @Sandythinandfit

Really? Because it is phen! Just a lower dose split up differently. And taken before each meal. Hmmm
  • saarahmurphy
    saarahmurphy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have to eat a calorie dense breakfast before my day starts and get some extra calories in then. I eat and drink a CalNatural Svelte shake. I found without it I would be 200-400 calories short by the end of the day. The shake is 200 calories so it really helps.
  • dyanne233
    dyanne233 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I take Phentermine. I started 15mg in the morning for one month I would say the first two weeks worked but then I think I got use to it. Now I take 30mg daily in the am and that's seems to be perfect dose for me. As for eating goes I force myself to have my protein shake for breakfast and lunch. Dinner I have a sensible meal. I also drink 200 ounces of water daily sometime more.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,969 Member
    Options
    GoalGal50 wrote: »

I definitely do not plan to be on this long term. My doctor told me 6 months top. He told me to force myself to eat and to take advantage during this time to learn how to eat healthy. He suggested the South Beach Diet. Right now I’m focusing primarily in my nutrition and adding in exercise gradually.

I didn't learn healthy eating habits when my appetite was artificially suppressed by taking a legal amphetamine-like drug and I gained all the weight back when I stopped taking it.

Here's my new favorite post about Phentermine: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10329901/phentermine/p1
    I have seen a lot of posts on and off about this and other weight loss drugs. I can vouch that they absolutely work. I have lost a lot weight using Phentermine on and off throughout about a 10 year span.

BUT...

The weight doesn't stay off. And those side effects? They are real.

You could take Phentermine and lose the weight, but you might end up like me. I'm 30 years old, slightly over weight, and have moderate tricuspid valve regurgitation. As in, I might need open heart surgery because my heart was damaged by Phentermine. To be clear, I never took it for more than a few months at a time, was monitored by a doctor, and did everything "right".

My lifespan has likely been shortened to lose a few pounds. Weight I could have lost on my own with a little bit of gumption. It wasn't worth it.