Winter running

Options
Hey guys,
I am thinking about bringing my kit to work and running at lunch. I haven't done much winter running, a bit late last year or early spring depending how you want to look at it. I have been reading up on layering, which I know it very important, and will go and get a pair of traction aids for my sneakers. But I was wondering if any of you had any tips for running in the winter? Thanks a bunch!

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I love this tool for figuring out how to dress: https://www.runnersworld.com/what-to-wear

Personally I don't do much running outdoors in the winter--we don't really have sidewalks and they do a poor job of plowing the whole road so it really becomes dangerous. I tend to hit the XC or snowshoe trails when we have enough snow, or just run inside on the treadmill otherwise. I do prefer running outside though.
  • noraknotes
    noraknotes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I hope this doesn't sound weird but I often run with my dog in the winter, mostly I just want to get him out and go home. It's not officially "running" but we are jogging. I make sure to pay attention to the sidewalk. Look for clear areas (ice) and avoid those and try to step IN the snow. I've found that it gives me decent traction. We go the same paths pretty often and I've learn to figure out which driveways/sidewalks ice most than others and try to avoid those paths or slow down when I know that there may be 5 feet of ice ahead of me. That's just my advice but would love to hear opinions from others.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    abungay wrote: »
    Hey guys,
    I am thinking about bringing my kit to work and running at lunch. I haven't done much winter running, a bit late last year or early spring depending how you want to look at it. I have been reading up on layering, which I know it very important, and will go and get a pair of traction aids for my sneakers. But I was wondering if any of you had any tips for running in the winter? Thanks a bunch!

Layers and a good windbreaker. My general winter running outfit is a dry fit tee under a long sleeve heavier dry fit half zip (Nike Therma Sphere), under a very light windbreaker. The windbreaker makes a world of difference because it eliminates any wind chill effect. Long running pants and gloves round out the ensemble.

Once the temperature/real feel drops below 20F or so, I add another long sleeve tee and a hat. You may want to consider adding a balaclava or neck wrap/scarf depending on how sensitive you are to the wind.

If you're road running, I wouldn't bother running if the pavement will be icy or if there's a risk of black ice. Too much chance for injury and traction aids won't do much to help on ice.

Outside of that, enjoy it. I love running in the winter...almost more than the summer. The colder and dryer air is much easier to breathe.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Once you warm up, you shouldn't have much problem staying warm... but plan on being cold until you get to that point. Also, don't stop sweating - that's when you get cold and problems can arise.

Avoid cotton at all costs, especially as a next-to-skin layer.

Don't underestimate the wind. Cold temps are one thing... wind chill is a whole nuther beast.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    abungay wrote: »
    Hey guys,

• If you can do a route that is mostly less busy 1-way roads, then take advantage (the middle of the road will typically be the best condition (plowed, recently salted).
    • Praise the manufacturing gods that traction devices come in your foot size (if they do). They, unfortunately, have not quite jumped on the market for children yet.
    • leg warmers or gaiters over the running tights and shoe opening (keeps the ice/slush spray off pants/out of shoes).
    • Larger than typical waist pack (to hold gloves/mittens/hat/etc) as you need to de-layer.
    • Start cold (not quite freezing your @ss off, but cold) - you'll warm up and start sweating quickly otherwise. If a remote area with no shops to stop in, then do bring a running jacket (tie around waist/stuff in pack) - if you need to walk back for some reason (injury, worsening conditions, etc), you might need it.
    • Something to cover face if particularly cold (balaklava or one of those stretchy band things).
    • And, just in case someone might actually make this mistake - ditto on no cotton.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Something to break the wind, something for your hands, and something for your neck.

Definitely use performance/thermal base layers and if it's below 25, probably a windbreak/extra thermal layer for your legs.
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    runners don't need many clothes. unlike cycling, which is why you see the cyclists all bundled up. The other day, I saw a cyclist all kitted out with a jacket, the weird crab claw gloves etc, then a runner came by shirtless.

I wear a merino wool shirt (note, I wear it in the summer so it is lightweight). Over that, I put on a polartec grid hoodie (melanzana, comes with a baclava). I wear cheap gloves from costco ($10-$15). That seems to be all I need here in colorado except for the coldest of days. Even when I hike above 14,000' in winter, I do the same, but I add a synthetic jacket (patagonia micropuff). And I've used that to 0F and 50+mph gusts. If I need something a little warmer for running, I have 20 year old "tech" fleece I wear on top, but I have yet to wear it this year. I used to wear my merino bottoms, but now all I wear are my jogging shorts. I skip the traction, but I am on trail and I don't have to worry about "black ice".
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Try it out closer to home until you're more comfortable; if something doesn't work out you might appreciate being able to get home more quickly! Lean more towards route safety if ice is an issue (treated and/or sufficiently well trodden) - I've found a shortish route that tends to be decent enough and I prefer to do that twice rather than looking for variety and potentially hurting myself. Plenty of time to do pretty runs when the temperature is above zero!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    It can take a little trial and error to get the layering right as we all have different cold tolerance. Yesterday, for example, it was around -8C in Ottawa and I ran with my regular running shoes (no traction aids as I was on a soft surface - kind of like running an the beach but with more clothes) regular 2 layer running socks, a medium weight pair of tights (Do you have a running room in St John's? I've bough a fiar bit of my kit there over the years & most of their staff are runners familiar with your local conditions) a running t-shirt under a medium weight half zip topped of with my hideous yellow running shell (the one in my profile picture), a toque & light pair of gloves.

One of the things I found hardest to dial in was gloves, my hands get cold before the rest of me does.

Something else to keep in mind for winter running.....shorten your stride a bit. Keeping your forward foot no farther forward than your hips helps a lot with balance in slightly slippery conditions.

I've been running outside all year 'round for 7 or 8 years and it can occasionally get down to -40C here, all good fun if you're dressed properly.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    It can take a little trial and error to get the layering right as we all have different cold tolerance. Yesterday, for example, it was around -8C in Ottawa and I ran with my regular running shoes (no traction aids as I was on a soft surface - kind of like running an the beach but with more clothes) regular 2 layer running socks, a medium weight pair of tights (Do you have a running room in St John's? I've bough a fiar bit of my kit there over the years & most of their staff are runners familiar with your local conditions) a running t-shirt under a medium weight half zip topped of with my hideous yellow running shell (the one in my profile picture), a toque & light pair of gloves.

One of the things I found hardest to dial in was gloves, my hands get cold before the rest of me does.

Something else to keep in mind for winter running.....shorten your stride a bit. Keeping your forward foot no farther forward than your hips helps a lot with balance in slightly slippery conditions.

I've been running outside all year 'round for 7 or 8 years and it can occasionally get down to -40C here, all good fun if you're dressed properly.

This is so true.

Back in December we had a cold snap and I went running(with correct gear) at about 28F. I felt great, warm, no problems. couple weeks later it had popped up to 49, I went out, neglected my gloves and thermals. By the time I finished it had popped down to about 42 and with the wind... I was miserable.
  • abungay
    abungay Posts: 85 Member
    Options

Yes we do have a running room here, I will try and get there the weekend and talk to the people there and maybe add more stuff to my kit. Thanks!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,680 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling comfortable the first half mile, you are wearing too many clothes. You should feel slightly cool. The RW What to Wear page is helpful, but a little too warm for me most of the time. Wear outer layers with zippers so you can adjust the temperature as you warm up. Pay attention to the wind chill and dress for that temperature not necessarily the air temperature (unless you will be running with the wind at your back the whole way.) I like to bring two pairs of gloves when it's cold, a very light pair and a fleece pair I wear the first couple of miles and the last miles. (I often cool down a lot when I'm tired.)
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I only run outside all year...and the answer is, it depends on you.

For me, down to about 20*F, I will wear a short sleeve tech tee, a running jacket, running tights, thin gloves (with wind covers), and an earwarmer (and I usually ditch the gloves and earwarmer within 10 minutes).....below 10-20*F, I'll swap the short sleeve tee for a long sleeve tee, and use lined tights. 0-10*F, I swap my normal running jacket for a fleece lined jacket, and swap my earwarmers for a fleece hat. Below 0*F, I'll add another layer on top and bottom, wear a balaclava, and use my warmer gloves (but I do try to limit how long I am out if it is below zero - no more than 30 minutes). I wear wool socks (single layer)...and I have gortex trail shoes that I wear when it is cold/snowy/slushy and keep my feet toasty warm. :smile:
  • michellebirtleeds
    michellebirtleeds Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I plan my runs to start with about a 1mile or 2k loop back to where I started. I drop a layer of clothes if I need to after completing the first loop, then continue with my run.

Good luck.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I plan my runs to start with about a 1mile or 2k loop back to where I started. I drop a layer of clothes if I need to after completing the first loop, then continue with my run.

Good luck.

Good call!
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I'm from Minnesota, and I've found that all the layering, hat, glove advice is great! I would add that one of the best things for me is a gaiter for my neck/mouth. I have very mild asthma which usually doesn't bother me, but in the cold it flares up badly. A gaiter to put over my mouth and nose has been one of my best purchases! I have a Smartwool one I love.

I also layer my gloves/mittens because my hands are always cold. I wear a very thin athletic pair of gloves plus my fleece-lined wool mittens. I can take the mittens off easily if I get too warm.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    I also layer my gloves/mittens because my hands are always cold. I wear a very thin athletic pair of gloves plus my fleece-lined wool mittens. I can take the mittens off easily if I get too warm.

Anything below 50F and I wear gloves. My hands get cold/numb really fast. It looks odd to be wearing shorts and gloves, but hey, it's what works for me!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Anything below 50F and I wear gloves. My hands get cold/numb really fast. It looks odd to be wearing shorts and gloves, but hey, it's what works for me!

I do the same. I highly recommend getting the gloves with wind shields (pull-over mittens). Those little shields are like magic. If temps are in the single digits or below, I usually put a pair of hand warmers in my gloves as well.

In addition to what's already been said, if you are running in the dark, make sure to wear bright/reflective clothing and lights. Also, always run facing traffic, never with your back towards it. This might seem like common sense, but I can't tell you how many times I see runners on the edge of the road, in the dark, wearing dark clothing and running along with the traffic flow. It's a tragedy waiting to happen. Be safe!