Desk Job Workouts

Options
Hi There!

I have been lucky after about a one year hiatus and I have not put on any weight, but that being said I have decided that I need to get back on the right track or risk damaging all the work I did. I still have another 25 pounds I would like to lose.

I have a very sedentary job. I am a dispatcher and my life is 50-60 hours at a desk in front of the computer. I need ideas to start making myself more mobile while at work. I recently downloaded an app that goes off every hour and has a 5 minutes timer. I get up and pace around the office until it dings again, so long as the phone doesn't ring. My step count has almost doubled which is great but, what other activities can I incorporate to help be more physical?

Looking for any ideas, and appreciate all!

Replies

• Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Nice! I have a desk job as well. I keep my printer/scanner away from my desk so I have to get up from my chair throughout the day. I also force myself to fidget - bouncing my legs/feet for most of the day, even as far as kicking my legs out in front of me under the desk. Little things add up and I try to take advantage of moving as much as possible even though I'm stuck behind a desk.
  • PapillonNoire
    PapillonNoire Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I also have a desk job. I make a conscious effort to move as much as possible. I'll shadow box in my cubicle, or stand and pace while I'm on the phone. I walk on my lunch break. I'll fetch files one by one rather than getting several in one trip. It's made a big difference in my TDEE.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Desk pushups, squats, lunges, mummy kicks, resistance bands, side bends, etc.
  • Ladylisa6689
    Ladylisa6689 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job. I put my computer keyboard and mouse on a box to make my desk a standing desk. I also do squats and leg lifts while I'm waiting for the fax or the copy machine. On my breaks, I power walk around the building. I bring my gym bag to work and do yoga, tabata and HIIT workouts on my lunch hour.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    It sounds like your job keeps you tethered to your desk or phone, so many of the old standbys won't work as well.

It also sounds like you have a private or semiprivate office which means that doing burpees or jumping jacks may be possible.

You could also do sets of KBell/DBell cleans/swings at like 5-10 an hour or half hour.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Me too! All the above ideas are great, plus
    • Stand/sit workstation if they will go for it - Varidesk makes some great ones - it's more healthful that all our sitting and you may have a risk management or wellness dept that would help defray costs to your own dept. Standing 8 hours burns about 100 cals I heard somewhere, I don't log it but think it helps. Also standing makes me fidget and move around more.
    • Every time I microwave anything (tea, lunch, rice bag for my neck lol) I run in place while the microwave's going (140 or more steps a minute and I try to get the knees up so it's actually a burn)
    • When I go to the restroom I run up and down the adjacent stairs 3-5 times
    • You might work on a small suite of low-impact aerobic/strength/yoga moves that you like for those 5 minute breaks, I do squats and some yoga stretches that help with shoulder/neck pain.
    • If I have to talk to a co-worker, I trot over to their desk instead of messaging or emailing, but of course this depends on the constraints of your work.

Good luck and you are not alone! Thanks for inspiring me, today I will try to take more of my own suggestions :blush:
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Well at my old job I went for walks during the day. Once or twice I would get out and walk around that building (5 minutes max) and at lunch sometimes I would go for a longer walk (15 or so minutes) at my new job there isn’t really anywhere to walk :/
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water, makes you run to the bathroom frequently LOL.

I'm actually not even kidding, sipping on water all day gives me something to do but also gives me a good reason to go for a short walk across the office every couple hours.

I also have a standing desk, maybe that would be an option for you?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    Options
    Standing desk. Under desk bike pedals. Pace around every time you're not on a call AND needing your computer....
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    @mommyweighless 50 to 60 hours per week seems like you're working longer than a normal work day. Does it leave you with any time you could use for an exercise program??
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    @TonyB0588 i do work a lot of hours, and it does NOT leave many hours in the day. I am at my desk by 6:45 am and I don't leave until 5:15-6:00pm. I do have an hour lunch and I try to walk for 30 minutes during that hour. I have a gym pass but I also have small children that I have to pick up, then dinner, baths, bed and trying to find time for the hubby. I'm making excuses but that is why I am trying to incorporate as much activity into my work day as I can. There are some really awesome ideas here!

I'm definitely going to look into the bike pedals for under my desk @PAV8888!
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    Some of my work time activity increases have been:
    • Going for a walk up and down a couple of flights of stairs
    • Doing squats or jogging on the spot each time I go to the bathroom
    • Yoga
    • Lunchtime runs/walks
    • Seated workouts
  • Skworon
    Skworon Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I hold on to the back of my chair and stretch. Then I am still close enough to answer the phones.
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    Standing desk. Under desk bike pedals. Pace around every time you're not on a call AND needing your computer....

Under desk bike pedals! Genius! I haven't seen those in decades...but now I want them!

• Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Everything and anything you can do to move more throughout the day will help!

I work a desk job 8-5 with an hour lunch break that I use to workout.

I am very lucky to work right next to my house that I can run home, eat, feed dogs, change, go running with the dogs, change and head back to work. On nice days I will head home and go for another run as well!

I also park further away at work, grocery stores, etc. to add more steps

Every little thing you do will add up throughout the day :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    @mommyweighless 50 to 60 hours per week seems like you're working longer than a normal work day. Does it leave you with any time you could use for an exercise program??

Don't know where you are but 50-60 hours a week is not unusual The average workweek in the US is 47 hours for full time employees. " The work week is even longer for salaried workers (an average of 49 hours), likely because employers don't have to worry about paying them overtime. According to the Gallup poll, half of salaried full-time employees said they work 50 or more hours each week."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-leadership/wp/2014/09/02/the-average-work-week-is-now-47-hours/?utm_term=.f2eecfa99768
  • TayaCurragh
    TayaCurragh Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as some of you, I work 9-5.30 in an office. It's an open office so I can't really do anything at my desk and my colleagues will notice if I get up to walk around every hour which my fitbit encourages me to do.

The printer is at the end of our bank of desks so I try to get my printing each time rather than it all at once. I end up getting a lot of water from the cooler and make a lot of tea rounds so I can walk around the kitchen whilst the kettle is boiling.

The pedals look great but I need a footstool so unfortunately wouldn't work for me, will try some of the suggestions here though!
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour rotating shifts. I work 6:30 am to 6:30 pm half the month and the other half I work 6:30 p.m. to 6:30 a.m. We got a work desk that lifts so I try to stand for about an hour and then sit for an hour every shift. I workout in my area on every shift. I do lots of bodyweight exercises but I do have some homemade workout equipment too. I welded a dumbbell from old parts and made push-up/dip bars from PVC. I also have a jump rope and bands I use as well. Depending on the size of your area and how your company feels about you staying fit at work you could do a TON of stuff at work. Here is my workout from Tuesday this week as well as a pic of my work area.

Complete each rep range before resting

SET 1
    D.B walking lunges x10
    D.B. Calf Raises x10
    D.B. Shrugs x20
    1 minute rest 4 Sets

SET 2
    Chest to floor burpees x10
    Bear crawls 10 feet forward and 10 feet backwards
    Sit-ups x10
    1 minute rest 4 Sets

SET 3
    D.B. front squat x10
    D.B. bent over rows x10
    D.B. bicep curls x10
    1 minute rest 4 Sets

SET 4
    Tabata
    Alternating planks
    qixwk3pv6hpi.jpg
  • Lesscookies1
    Lesscookies1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I like to take a walk around the building, and around a walking path we have. Good luck!!