Do I have to sacrifice protein for weight loss?

Options

Replies

• dressagerider1020
    dressagerider1020 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Oh, and do not sacrifice protein to lose weight. Protein is what keeps you satisfied; if you're in a slump have a piece of string cheese or even a piece of beef jerky, it will help level you out and get you to the next meal without starving. There are a lot of meal and healthy snack ideas on Instagram, Keep meals interesting and you'll tend to stick with it.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Unless you have a pre-existing medical condition that means you should keep an eye on cholesterol and sat fats then just eat the red meat.

Not sure about the red meat. I’ve watched food documentaries that talk about studies which show that eating lots of red meat can cause cancer. I’d personally keep red meat consumption kind of low. Honestly I’ve been eating a lot lately so I’d better start practicing my preaching ASAP. I used to dislike steak but have recently acquired a taste for it. Better learn to dislike it again, hehe.

Wouldn't happen to be agenda driven documentaries on say, Netflix, would they?

Only if that agenda is educating people on smarter, healthier food choices and exposing the evil and greed of corporate America. You’re not an employee of Tyson or Monsanto, are you?

She has such a complex cover story for an undercover agent of Big Meat. She's really posting from the Tyson compound in Arkansas.

Trufacts
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    troll in the dungeon!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I adore salmon, never knew it was considered challenging. Trout is amazing too.

White fish seems pretty easy (cod, etc.). Shrimp (has cholesterol, but I don't think dietary cholesterol is an issue for most). Pre-roast a chicken or chicken breasts or buy rotisserie or make some skinless breasts or a turkey breast in a crock pot and have them on hand to shred and use.

Greek yogurt has lots of protein too.

Cook multiple meals at a time so you have leftovers.

Salmon is my favorite. For cooked fish, and for sushi even.

OP: if you're wanting to learn more, given your history, consider getting the "DASH Diet Weightloss Solution" from the library. (Hoopladigital ebook or audiobook) It focuses on more lean types of animal proteins, as well as other protein sources. It's a well researched book and dietary approach.

Have a look here: http://dashdiet.org/default.asp
    the book is on the left. Not a fad diet, just a tried and true "protein and veg" approach.

If you haven't seen a doc about the chest pains/your health in general, please start there.

Good luck, you're doing a great thing!
  • hellobarb
    hellobarb Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you are not a fan of fish and want to get omega-3s, I recommend flaxseeds or chia seeds. Just grind them up and put them on a salad, or even in a sauce you make. Or even using flaxseed oil to cook with. Good no cholesterol sources of protein are tofu, tempeh, beans, legumes. If you can tolerate wheat, try seitan. A 100 g serving of seitan has over 25 grams of protein.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    alicebhsia wrote: »
    i agree about the dash diet book, it is pretty good. i am on a mashup of the dash diet and the flat belly diet and i am starting to see results in a short time. My book is the DASH Diet for a Younger You. The best thing about it I've found is adding a small glass of red wine after dinner. It's lowering my blood pressure so it must be good for your heart. I've even halved my dose of high blood pressure meds since I went on it and it's only been like a week.

The Younger You book is good as well. I didn't mention that one because it doesn't quite emphasize protein as much as the other DASH book, and given his OP, I decided the other book might be a better fit.
    Congrats on your successes!
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    no. end of thread.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    No, you can still eat plenty of protein without eating so much fast food. Congrats on starting your healthier lifestyle. My husband has also been a primarily fast food eater his whole life. Since he’s been eating my home cooked food mostly he feels much better. He has a sensitive stomach though. He made hamburger helper for dinner a couple weeks ago and felt like death afterwards.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I adore salmon, never knew it was considered challenging. Trout is amazing too.

White fish seems pretty easy (cod, etc.). Shrimp (has cholesterol, but I don't think dietary cholesterol is an issue for most). Pre-roast a chicken or chicken breasts or buy rotisserie or make some skinless breasts or a turkey breast in a crock pot and have them on hand to shred and use.

Greek yogurt has lots of protein too.

Cook multiple meals at a time so you have leftovers.

Salmon is my favorite. For cooked fish, and for sushi even.

OP: if you're wanting to learn more, given your history, consider getting the "DASH Diet Weightloss Solution" from the library. (Hoopladigital ebook or audiobook) It focuses on more lean types of animal proteins, as well as other protein sources. It's a well researched book and dietary approach.

Have a look here: http://dashdiet.org/default.asp
    the book is on the left. Not a fad diet, just a tried and true "protein and veg" approach.

If you haven't seen a doc about the chest pains/your health in general, please start there.

Good luck, you're doing a great thing!

I'll agree with this, DASH is a really sensible approach.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    hellobarb wrote: »
    If you are not a fan of fish and want to get omega-3s, I recommend flaxseeds or chia seeds. Just grind them up and put them on a salad, or even in a sauce you make. Or even using flaxseed oil to cook with. Good no cholesterol sources of protein are tofu, tempeh, beans, legumes. If you can tolerate wheat, try seitan. A 100 g serving of seitan has over 25 grams of protein.

To some extent, but you won't get DHA/EPA, those are mainly sources of ALA, and they aren't interchangeable. ALA gets converted somewhat, but only a small percentage. As a result, when I'm not eating fish (I've been experimenting with 100% plant based and will likely do it consistently during Lent this year), I supplement DHA/EPA (algae is a source).
  • pensacarol
    pensacarol Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been getting the BB "farm to family" 93/7 ground turkey. I'll mix up a couple of pounds with minced garlic and whatever other seasonings sound good at the time. I portion it all into 4 oz patties (usually weighs out to 3 - 3 1/2 oz cooked). Grill or pan sear several and freeze the rest. I'll have one on a "sandwich thin" roll with all my favorite burger toppings and be in heaven. Toss the other cooked ones in the fridge for another burger later, crumbled on salad or use as a "sausage patty" with an egg for breakfast. They will keep several days in the fridge and can be reheated in a skillet or nuked in the microwave for a "fast food" meal. I've been known to eat them cold and it's still good!
  • abbynormalartist
    abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    billym2018 wrote: »
    True, I’ll start simple and work into other food groups. I didn't expect it to taste like it did. I tried tilapia and catfish too. Those were fine for me.

I love salmon but my hubby hates it. I'd recommend giving it a few more tries but if you don't care for it, just take a fill oil supplement and find other things that you enjoy.
  • troelsandtheis
    troelsandtheis Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Lentils! Also I am vegan (ish) but the nutritional yeast flakes that vegans typically have are a good mini protein hit. I sprinkle a tablespoon on soup.
  • bvff35
    bvff35 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Great advice everyone thank you! I have had heart issues in the past and recently had chest pains that were tolerable. I plan to have my blood tested for possible issues but I want to start the fight sooner than later. I really appreciate the food suggestions. I have been eating skinless chicken and fish recently which is seeming like a difficult change. I am not used to eating fish and find the oily salmon to be kind of overwhelming. I want the omega 3s but that may not happen as often as I’d like. I like cottage cheese and Greek yoghurt so I’ll have to buy some. I want to try tofu. Any suggestions on preparation? I’ll have to be more mindful of protein in my diet. Thanks everyone :)

I have only tried tofu a couple times so far but I like it better if I use the extra firm version and bake it so it's more dry and the outside crispy. It's not something that I am willing to eat often due to the texture.
  • lemurcat12
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Oh, I missed the tofu question. I eat tofu a decent amount, and would recommend not just eating it on its own, but in things. I particularly like stirfrying veg and adding some tofu (chopped into smaller pieces, either firm or extra firm) into the stirfry. Add the whole thing to rice. I might use some soy sauce and Japanese 7 spice or sriracha, but since soy sauce might be an issue for you (sodium), I'd recommend trying the 7 spice, it's amazing.

I also use it in noodle dishes (think Thai cooking, or Japanese noodles), and in soups. Did a spicy soup with cabbage, tomato, peppers, onions, mushrooms, some kimchi, and tofu last night.

I've also added it to savory oats and chili or other bean dishes.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I’m constantly moving because my job requires it. Until 2 weeks ago I enjoyed a fast food lifestyle. Funny how the things you love want to kill you :'( Anyway I’m trying to do all my food cooking at home and eat healthier. When I get home I dont want to workout, I want to relax.

How can I get more protein in my diet without consuming red meat or high cholesterol foods? Trying to avoid as much saturated fats and trans fats as i can too. A big goal is to lose weight around my waist. Food suggestions? I understand my diet choice might not seem like the most optimal for some but I really just need food guidance. Thanks!

By opting for protein sources that aren't mostly fat and surrounded by thick carby clouds. (Seriously though, fast food is not even remotely an efficient source of protein). Kind of a lot of protein choices that aren't 80-/20+ ground beef or breaded, deep-fried chicken. Beef, leaner ground beef, chicken that hasn't bathed in a deep-fryer, ham/pork, fish, dairy,...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I’m constantly moving because my job requires it. Until 2 weeks ago I enjoyed a fast food lifestyle. Funny how the things you love want to kill you :'( Anyway I’m trying to do all my food cooking at home and eat healthier. When I get home I dont want to workout, I want to relax.

How can I get more protein in my diet without consuming red meat or high cholesterol foods? Trying to avoid as much saturated fats and trans fats as i can too. A big goal is to lose weight around my waist. Food suggestions? I understand my diet choice might not seem like the most optimal for some but I really just need food guidance. Thanks!

My wife and I eat a lot of fish...mostly cod, salmon, and shrimp. We eat quite a bit of chicken as well...we prefer thighs for the most part, as well as lean cuts of pork like pork tenderloin. We do eat red meat...I'd say once every couple weeks except for summer when I grill burgers every week.

Eggs are also a good source of protein..Greek yogurt...lentils and legumes, etc...