Scale barely moved

Options
So, I am doing the 60 day keto challenge. I started January 1st and have only lost one pound. However, my clothes are a lot looser and am almost (a few inches to go) in a lower pant size. I look better (lost some stomach fat) and feel better. I know we can't always count on the scale but how does this add up. I, unfortunately, don't have time to exercise until June. So I can't see how this can be fat lost and muscle gain. Does anyone have the same issues? Can anyone explain this to me? Thank you.

Replies

• emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't have anything to offer in terms of why you wouldn't see a larger weight loss (because I don't know much about weight loss in general!) but I noticed in the beginning that my weight didn't move as quickly as the inches came off. Some of this is probably water related - you're not as bloated due to better eating habits.

Perhaps your "woosh" is coming soon - where all the weight slides off after a lengthy period of deficit. I've also experienced that where I eat well for 3-4 weeks with no scale movement and then all of a sudden the next week there's a 5lb loss.

Are you eating at a deficit while in keto? This may also be a part of it. Do you weigh your food? Is there a chance that there are ways in which you are eating over your calorie goal by accident? I do this as well when I cook (I just made granola and couldn't help snack on a few of the nuts and lick the spoon!)

Good luck on your journey, and keep at it. It will come!
  • SanaAnum
    SanaAnum Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    From what i have read here you really cant gain muscle in this way.
    In 60 days any weight loss will show on scale or measuring tape.
    Maybe with your clothes you are just feeling they are loser ?
    These 60 days you only created deficit for a pound.
  • thinnerinnerme
    thinnerinnerme Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I can't explain why, but the same thing is happening to me. I've been on keto for two and half weeks and have only lost one pound. I can tell a huge difference in the way I feel and how my clothes fit. I was wondering if maybe my problem is that I'm not eating enough fat. I'm anxious to see what kind of explanations you get.
  • SanaAnum
    SanaAnum Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Sorry it has only been 38 days yet not 60 days.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    x9wiqwmh2f0e.jpg
  • jseams1234
    jseams1234 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Interesting....

When you "diet/cut" and go from a relatively high carb diet to restricting carb intake most people lose a significant amount of water weight in the first couple of weeks. This is even more pronounced for many that initially start a ketogenic diet when they were eating normally before, since carbs are so severely limited. You hear this time and time again from the keto camp - "I lost 15 pounds in the first week! Wow, Keto works!" ... thinking this is actual fat loss. A possible explanation is that you actually did lose water weight but gained fat - hence the lack of loss reflected on the scale and clothes fitting differently. It will be interesting to see what kind of rebound you have after the challenge is over and you start eating carbs again. ;)
  • PBAUSA17
    PBAUSA17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    How old are you? Could you perhaps be in peri or full menopause? If so, this can significantly impact the rate of loss. I went through menopause very early in life (my 30s) and am having the most difficult time losing. I have been on keto for 10 weeks and have lost around 6 pounds. That averages to around 0.6 lb. a week! It's quite frustrating as I weigh and count calories. Everything I've read says that after meno, weight loss can be much slower. I have accepted this and am KCKO (keeping calm and ketoing on).

I've also learned that certain keto-friendly foods do not work well with me - namely ground beef. If I eat ground beef, I don't have a loss for days. Chicken and fish do work however - and fish particularly well. I also had to cut out all alcohol as even having vodka with diet soda or a shot of tequila slowed down my loss on weeks that I had something.

Good luck. Stay strong and KCKO :smiley:
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    So, I am doing the 60 day keto challenge. I started January 1st and have only lost one pound. However, my clothes are a lot looser and am almost (a few inches to go) in a lower pant size. I look better (lost some stomach fat) and feel better. I know we can't always count on the scale but how does this add up. I, unfortunately, don't have time to exercise until June. So I can't see how this can be fat lost and muscle gain. Does anyone have the same issues? Can anyone explain this to me? Thank you.
    jseams1234 wrote: »
    Interesting....

When you "diet/cut" and go from a relatively high carb diet to restricting carb intake most people lose a significant amount of water weight in the first couple of weeks. This is even more pronounced for many that initially start a ketogenic diet when they were eating normally before, since carbs are so severely limited. You hear this time and time again from the keto camp - "I lost 15 pounds in the first week! Wow, Keto works!" ... thinking this is actual fat loss. A possible explanation is that you actually did lose water weight but gained fat - hence the lack of loss reflected on the scale and clothes fitting differently. It will be interesting to see what kind of rebound you have after the challenge is over and you start eating carbs again. ;)

This. Significant water weight loss is pretty common at the start of keto. So could possibly be a gain in fat. It could also be normal fluctuations if not a large deficit. If eating a lot of high fat foods in your keto diet, you'd be better off weighing them (a few grams can make a huge difference in calories).

If you haven't added in any weight training (and especially in a short time), it won't be muscle gain. Better fitting clothes could possibly be that your old diet left you more bloated (for me personally, for example, I get extremely bloated if I eat wheat..which is something a keto diet would largely or wholly cut out.
  • MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    You still have to weigh and track your food.
  • capecodgirl01
    capecodgirl01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your help. Apparently, I didn’t do as much research as I should have and found out that when you’ve got PCOS, it takes a lot longer to reach my goals. I’m not going to give up as the scale did move down to almost 2 pounds lost since my post.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Consider joining these groups:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/3070-p-c-o-sis

both groups have members experienced in PCOS and low carb eating patterns.