Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    taluch75 wrote: »
    If you eat oatmeal...you're better off eating a candy bar, or chocolate ....oatmeal raises your insulin and does not keep you full for a long time.
    Better to have some eggs and bacon....to keep you full for a LONG TIME

Eggs and bacon raise your insulin level too. Better check out your facts.
  • Vanyahiril
    Vanyahiril Posts: 89 Member
    Options

So does the egg replace some of the water or milk you would normally use? I like my oats pretty dry too, like the consistency of spackle :lol: and I've heard of people cooking oats with an egg but wasn't sure if you still need to add a liquid.

Yup! It definitely replaces some of the liquid! But when I do this, do make it wetter than normal. After it’s been heated up, it’s kind of like a muffin.
  • tar2323
    tar2323 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    60g jumbo oats made with water and topped with single cream, a handful of blueberries and a spoonful of sugar sprinkled on the top. My new favourite evening dessert.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you eat oatmeal...you're better off eating a candy bar, or chocolate ....oatmeal raises your insulin and does not keep you full for a long time.

Keeps me full, and insulin has never been a problem for me.

Maybe don't generalize?
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Better to have some eggs and bacon....to keep you full for a LONG TIME

As I've posted before, one of the few breakfasts that results in me being hungry before lunch is bacon and eggs.

Eggs with vegetables (in an omelet) plus some cottage cheese (for more protein) works great, though.

Again, generalizing about what leads to satiety for others rarely works well.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Options

Someone gave me almond chocolate toffee for Christmas. I prelogged meals today with a serving of it (40g). My macros didn't look awesome, so I subbed 40g oats+10g pecans to see what that looked like instead. (I also have an apple with yogurt logged, and if I do oats, I'll use a little of the apple in the oats, but I'll eat the whole apple either way.)

oats vs. toffee: It makes <10cal difference and doesn't move the needle on my macros either. So I'll have one or the other depending on my mood. But I do think of oats as a treat, so I am agreeing with you there.

I question your bit about the insulin response, however. FIBER when eaten in combination with sugar slows the insulin response. I don't know what kind of candy bars you eat, but if they have as much fiber as oats, it could possibly be comparable. I doubt it, but I'm not as well versed as someone who has medical reasons to watch insulin.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Ridiculous. If someone wants a chocolate bar for breakfast and it meets their goals, they can go for it. But oatmeal has fiber, as well as some key vitamins. If I have some fat with my oatmeal, it does a fine job of filling me up. I had some this morning with walnuts and cacao nibs and I felt great until lunch time.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    tar2323 wrote: »
    60g jumbo oats made with water and topped with single cream, a handful of blueberries and a spoonful of sugar sprinkled on the top. My new favourite evening dessert.

20 g oats with no cream or sugar, just blueberries is a perfect bedtime snack for me. Sweet, filling, warming, satisfying, not too much. Perfect!
  • billym2018
    billym2018 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    It’s all about the bang for your buck. Don’t fret the calories. Just make it something that will add value to your diet. A lot of people are saying cinnamon and I totally agree. It adds flavor and is ranked in the top 20 of food items that are highest in antioxidants. Not only that but cinnamon can give you a small edge in preventing weight gain when added to your meal. Check it out.
  • coletammym
    coletammym Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Protein powder with some raw peanut butter
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    First, never eat those instant oatmeal packets. Loads of sugar.
    Here is what I do and everyone in the family, even the dedicated oatmeal haters love it.
    In a slow cooker, set on low, before I go to bed:
    6 cups water
    2 cups steel cut oats.
    2 apples, peeled and cored, diced into 1/2” size pieces
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    Cinnamon to taste
    1 table spoon vanilla

Just dump everything into cooker, stir it up a bit and go to bed.

You’ll awake to amazing aromas and wholesome goodness. Keeps in airtight container in frig for up to a week.

Tip..I used to buy that Irish oats in a can. Good stuff but spendy. Steel cut is steel cut so I buy mine in bulk, keeps a long time.
    It’s amazing and no added sugar. Stores really well so the next day it can be easily warmed in microwave

@nkovacs53804 Unfortunately I've never been able to find any dried cranberries without sugar..do they exist or are they all simple made with added sugar in the processing? Please say they're out there and I just haven't come upon them yet! :laugh: ;)

Your recipe sounds wonderful and I can imagine the aroma it gives off overnight... appreciate you sharing it.. Now back to my cranberry dilemma. :'(:#
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    First, never eat those instant oatmeal packets. Loads of sugar.
    Here is what I do and everyone in the family, even the dedicated oatmeal haters love it.
    In a slow cooker, set on low, before I go to bed:
    6 cups water
    2 cups steel cut oats.
    2 apples, peeled and cored, diced into 1/2” size pieces
    1/2 cup dried cranberries
    Cinnamon to taste
    1 table spoon vanilla

Just dump everything into cooker, stir it up a bit and go to bed.

You’ll awake to amazing aromas and wholesome goodness. Keeps in airtight container in frig for up to a week.

Tip..I used to buy that Irish oats in a can. Good stuff but spendy. Steel cut is steel cut so I buy mine in bulk, keeps a long time.
    It’s amazing and no added sugar. Stores really well so the next day it can be easily warmed in microwave

@nkovacs53804 Unfortunately I've never been able to find any dried cranberries without sugar..do they exist or are they all simple made with added sugar in the processing? Please say they're out there and I just haven't come upon them yet! :laugh: ;)

I never have either, unless you count ones made with "dried apple juice" (which is basically just sugar for those who don't want sugar).

I make oats with frozen cranberries sometimes. (That said, to my taste plain cranberries DO need either some sugar or some other fruit -- goes well with oranges or cherries or raspberries.)
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    butter on oats? am I the only one thats never eaten this? lol

mix in some protein powder or egg whites. You can even mix in some PB2.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options

da *kitten*? :s
  • troelsandtheis
    troelsandtheis Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I get jumbo oats rather than oatmeal. Much tastier and fill me up more. I have just under half a cup and soak them overnight in the fridge in some oat or almond milk with a handful of blueberries and raspberries and a tablespoon of chia seeds. In the morning I heat it up and add either a bit of honey, a dash of unsweetened cocoa, or a drop of rose water. All delicious and never more than 300 calories.

I’ve never heard of people using butter!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    2wise4u wrote: »
    Have you tried butter sprays? I can't believe it's not butter is one that has 0 calories but I'm not sure about fat and other bad stuff.

This myth that the spray is 0 calories gets a lot of people in trouble. That's a labeling trick but it has just as many calories as the regular margarine. I would always log it as 10 calories because it's something like 6-8 but under the labelling laws they are allowed to say it's 0. Unfortunately, your body isn't a legal representative and when you put on 4 or 5 sprays you've added almost 40-50 calories without even knowing it.

yep- I think pretty much no one does the 1/4 sec spray serving that is on the label (at least on the aerosol ones I buy, I don't recall what is stated on the liquid margarine pump bottle). That being said, with those fine aerosol cans, you can get away with a pretty good uniform coating in less than 2 grams (under 20 calories), which I definitely can't do with butter or drizzling spout or non-aerosol spray. (I weigh the can before and after).
  • refugeefromkekistan
    refugeefromkekistan Posts: 48 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Oatmeal is a god-tier meal, so long as we're talking steel cut realness and not that Quaker boxed trash. I eat it nearly everyday, sometimes twice/day, and have so for as far back as I can recall. Once in a while I'll batch in the slow cooker but normally it's 5 containers on Sunday night in the fridge, each with some water and every morning I heat one up for 90 seconds, then add protein powder and greek yogourt, as well as some combo of ground flax, berries, chopped banana/apple, trail mix, etc. Easy, fast, tasty and satisfying.

I have never ever heard of anyone adding butter to it and just eating it like that, that sounds disgusting and counter to the purpose of eating something as clean and healthy as oatmeal, so OP you should try an adjustment in method and enjoy.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those that gets crav-y after oatmeal, and hungry again not long after. I generally have my breakfast oats (if any) in the form of a food bar with added protein, fat, and fiber; and accompanied by greek yogurt.