Weight loss math doesn't work, so confused!

Options

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Perhaps I was hoping for a more linear decline in my weight. It's been stuck for 1.5 weeks and not moved regardless of my diet and exercise

What weight loss looks like...

z7538.png

Also, in the early stages of a diet bigger drops in weight are pretty normal as you release water and have inherently less waste in your system. After that it slows to a more realistic rate and you will have weeks with bigger losses, smaller losses, no losses, and gains...you have to look at trends over weeks an months.

Quoting for truth and also adding MY weight loss graph over the last THREE MONTHS, not just a week. 8wuo1vd0wr17.png

EDIT: See, it's really normal to not be quite so linear.

• jocelynmoore08
    jocelynmoore08 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you aeloine! These graphs are really helpful to see how large the swings are. I was starting to get frustrated by the scale after only 2 weeks. Now I know I need to collate data for much longer before I start to be able to create a downward trend. Thanks for sharing
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Perhaps I was hoping for a more linear decline in my weight. It's been stuck for 1.5 weeks and not moved regardless of my diet and exercise

What weight loss looks like...

z7538.png

Also, in the early stages of a diet bigger drops in weight are pretty normal as you release water and have inherently less waste in your system. After that it slows to a more realistic rate and you will have weeks with bigger losses, smaller losses, no losses, and gains...you have to look at trends over weeks an months.

Quoting for truth and also adding MY weight loss graph over the last THREE MONTHS, not just a wee8wuo1vd0wr17.png
    k.
    __________________________________________________________________________________

Also adding my weight loss graph for the last 3 months.
    Your weight will fluctuate a lot and you'll just have to get use to that.
    Give it time and don't give up!

xgo7tqohf0hs.jpg
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    ive been playing around with the same 3lbs for the past 3 weeks :(:(:( just how it is don't quit

^^^^^^ TWO MONTHS for me (I'm down to the last 7-10lbs and it's taking forever).

Just have to trust the process.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    As other people said weight loss (ie your scale weight) is not just a function of fat (which is what you are calculating the loss of) but also of water. There is no way to predict your weight loss on a week to week basis and have any sort of accuracy. Water weight fluctuates and over long stretches of time it will average out and what you will see is the underlying loss of fat.

That said healthy weight loss is a marathon, not a sprint. Your lack of patience seems to be having you try to grit your teeth and run as fast as you can if you are attempting to eat 1200 calories when burning 2700. That isn't healthy or sustainable, you are just tearing yourself down doing that. You would be much better off both in terms of health and likelyhood of success if you eased up a bit and set a more reasonable caloric deficit goal.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    another troll bites the dust...
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Time for the MFP moderators to step in and sort the trolling and his/her swearing.
  • Go_Deskercise
    Go_Deskercise Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Yikes...