Working Moms, HELP PLEASE!

Options
I am a full time working mother of 1. I have been very successful with my weight loss up to this point. The problem I have is my nutrition has not improved. I find it hard to find the time to make healthy lunches, snacks, and dinners (that the whole family will eat).
Working moms please share your secrets with me! I've hit a wall and I need help. Thanks :)

Replies

• FoxCarter
    FoxCarter Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Working Mom - Mother of 2.
    Here is how I work lunches/snacks. Lunch is usually leftovers from the night before. I have small containers to pack them in and try to make the entree around 200-300 calories. In addition to the entree, I pack a yogurt, (2) fruits and a breakfast bar. So, for example today's menu:
    Breafast: Luna Bar, Banana
    10am: Yogurt
    Lunch: (2) tamales and fat free refried beans (<--dinner yesterday)
    3pm: 1 cup cherries.

Healthy = Simple. For the kids, usually pack them a sandwich, chips, fruit and yogurt. At two years old my youngest will beg me for yogurt.
  • winodini
    winodini Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have found success with cooking on Sundays for the week. This Sunday, we cooked chicken for lunches and dinner. This way I only really concentrate on sides. It has helped soo far, and has kept us from eating out since I started.
  • ejscholtz
    Options
    The trick is to plan out EVERYTHING! I have a spreadsheet with our menu for the entire month. In fact, I have the entire school year planned out by month as well, which I work on during the summer since I am a teacher and have some summer time off. I made up my own system so that there is a methodical pattern to our weeknight dinners: Dinner is always a starch, a protein and a vegetable; Monday is flank steak, Tuesday is Sauteed BLSL Chicken Breasts, Wednesday is crock pot day, etc.) Then, each Saturday the grocery shopping for the week gets done, and each Sunday I do as much prep work as I can, which takes an hour+ (ie washing and chopping fruit and veggies, putting them into snack bags in the fridge, etc). That way, when I get home Monday at 4, I know exactly what's for dinner; all I have to do is take out the ingredients and start cooking. Dinner is usually on the table by 5. Cooking Light Magazine has a cookbook called "Dinner Tonight" featuring recipes that can be made in 30 minutes or less. I use those on weeknights. Hope this helps!
  • smedshel
    smedshel Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am also a working mom. I ate pretty poorly up until the last little while and my body felt it. I drank lots of Diet Coke, ate chocolate and doughnuts almost daily, and suffered from stomach aches, fatigue, etc. A couple of things I've added to replace the bad stuff...water for Diet Coke. I bought some nice water bottles and keep them in the fridge at work so that I always have something cold and refreshing. I also keep on hand, bananas, apples and caramel dip, Fiber One 90-calore brownies, and Reese's Puffs cereal. All appeal to my sweet tooth but do no damage to my diet. I just keep in mind that eating well makes me appear disciplined and that's a reputation I like. I have also felt so much better. Stomach aches are practically gone and I feel more energetic which helps motivate me to get to the gym 3-4 times per week. I keep my workouts to 30 minutes (if I do only cardio) or 45 minutes (if I do cardio and lift some weights). If I overdo it, I dread going back, so these short workouts are perfect.
  • ecmcnamee
    ecmcnamee Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm a working mom of 3 ... and for me it's all in taking that 45 minutes when I first get home from work and making sure lunches and things are together for the next day. My kids (ages 12, 7 and 4) are usually entertaining themselves and chilling since they've been at camp all day. Once that's done, I'm free to make dinner and hang out with them. I also do what FoxCarter does and my lunch is normally leftovers from the night before. The kiddos are easy because they both love PBJ everyday and they get some chips, cheese sticks, fruit and drinkable yogurt.
  • Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Try www.skinnytaste.com for some yummy and healthy recipes!
  • sarah829522
    Options
    Working mom of 2 as well. I found until they are 5-6 I was making two dinners at night. Not sure how old yours is. I've gotten to the point now where this is what's for dinner. Period.

I also take leftovers for lunch or sometimes I will make two-three days worth of chicken and healthy carb/vegetable in containers in my fridge.

What throws me off is going out to eat at lunch with coworkers and friends, sometimes I'm good and sometimes I'm not.

I always have in my desk drawer - protein meal bars, tuna packets, rice cakes and protein shakes/shaker bottle. I will also usually grab a piece of fruit or when I buy cherries or grapes I preportion them out so they are ready to go in baggies.

Biggest loser family cookbook is good. We also get a lot of ideas for new dishes from cooking light.
  • bunchofobriens
    bunchofobriens Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I use Body By Vi Meal Replacement Shakes for breakfast & lunch. When I make my morning shake, I make a lunch one too & pop it in the fridge at work. These shakes are busting with nutrition! I am not overweight and was always eating under my calorie goal, but I too was concerned with my nutrition - not getting enough of the right things. Now I don't even think about it! The shakes have me more than covered! When my girlfriend recommended them I did a google search and didn't find a single negative comment on them. The company, Visalus, does work as a pyramid, but you don't have to go that route. I just enjoy the shakes!

Oh, in addition to the shakes they recommend 2 100 ish calorie snacks throughout the day. I generally eat 2 different frult or veggie snacks, but you can have anything. Then they recommend a sensible dinner - 500 ish calories.

The Body by Vi shakes, combined with myfitnesspal.com has been a winning combination for both myself and my husband. He's lost 17 pounds in the last 5 weeks and I have lost 6. I highly recommend it!
  • bethy0316
    Options
    I have one son and one semi step-daughter (8 and 9) and my boyfriend is trying to be healthy as well. What we do is sneak in the healthy foods ... don't talk about it much or they will freak out.

For their lunches I pack a sandwich (or a lunchable) and then a 100 calorie snack pack, some yogurt, some 100 calorie chips and a drink. Nutri Grain bars for their breakfast.

For us it's usually the same ... I use wheat bread, water for drinks, and 100 calorie packs or fruit.

For dinners I have been using a lot of recipes from skinnytaste.com. YUMMY!! Sneak in the ground turkey, turkey bacon, etc. Just keep it quiet. If they complain, blow it off. They'll eat if they're hungry. Don't keep anything unhealthy in the house, and if you have to (cookies etc for the kids and hubby) make it something you don't like.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    mummy to two girls 2.5 & 4.5

meals for youngest are provided by her nursery.

Eldest's lunch for her holiday play scheme

1 slice of bread sandwich - billy bear sausage meat, ham or chicken
    cheese straws/baby bell or other stick cheese
    1 yoghurt tube
    1 apple or grapes or the supermarket snack bags of mixed apple & grape
    1 other fruit - today its a little pot of strawberries
    1 pot of raisins
    1 mini packet of sweets,little chocolate bar, sweet biscuits or a small fairy cake
    1 mini packet of crisps, cheese biscuits or torillias
    1 large bottle water.

eldest is very small for her age (only in age two clothes!) she does better if she grazes all day rather than eat a larger meal.

lunch for me - varies

so today was left over boiled rice with chicken & cashew nuts.
    other weeks I will buy a pack of cooked chicken breast chunks, a bag of mixed salad leaf and some cucumber & cherry tomatoes
    this goes in the fridge at work and I make myself a salad at lunch time.
    i alternate using a balsamic reduction as a dressing with light mayo on other days.
    I will also switch out or add radish, onions, carrots depending on what I fancy or what is on special - e.g king prawns instead of chicken!

Evening meals are a little harder - we tend now to eat after the children are in bed as they don't really want that much, so they will often have a slice of toast, toasted tea cake, houmus and carrots or just chopped fruit before bed.
    Then hubby and I eat around 8pm - both of us like salads, or rice & pasta dishes but we make them with more veg, less pasta & rice and less fat - so very similar to what we used to do but with smaller portions.
    I am in the process of setting up to do batch cooking so one evening or at the weekend I will cook lots of meals and then pack them in the freezer to reheat during the week nights. I am sure our eldest will need to eat more than she is now as she starts primary school in September.
    I have just bought a vacum sealer for the meals - it says you can keep raw meat in the freezer if vac'd for 2-3 years!
    it should certainly extend pre-cooked food to 3-6 months I would have thought so I might only have to do it once a month.
    When it gets colder I also bring out my slow cooker to give us more options.
  • mp09aap
    mp09aap Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One big thing is frozen vegetables, for each meal where applicable put some frozen vegetables that only takes 10 minuets. And its cheep. Another thing is to make large portions of things like bolognaise and soup. And freeze it.

One of my favourite soups that’s is not only cheep but filling and healthy
    Cooking time 20 mins
    Serves 6 total cost £3 or 40p per portion

Ingredients:
    1 bag of Frozen peas (907g or 1kg doesn’t matter which 1)
    500g of frozen winter vegtables (inc onions, carrots, sweed, parsnip.)
    500g of cooking bacon
    500ml of water
    20ml of olive or (or vegetable oil)

Put oil in a large sauce pan
    On a medium heat fry cooking bacon for about 5 minuets or until cooked through
    Once the bacon is cooked add peas, winter vegtables and water and bring to the boil.
    Once it reaches the boil simmer for 12-15 minuets.
    Then use a hand blender or any other blender and blend into a thick soup.

400 cal per 400g portion or 100 cal per 100g

Optional to serve it with a slice of bread for an extra 100 cal but doesn’t need it

enjoy!

And any left overs freeze.
  • Pridgenization
    Pridgenization Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have a 6 and 8 year old. They know that if they want candy, chips or some other treat at the end of the day, then they have to have 5 servings of fruit/non starch vegetable, as well as 3 servings of dairy.

With their breakfast (which is often cereal or a cereal bar), I usually cut of an orange or apple. They get milk for breakfast.

I hate packing lunches, but I usually pack a sandwich, a piece of fruit (or a container of grapes, berries, watermelon, pineapple, etc.), pretzels and maybe a cheese stick. You can freeze peanut butter and jelly sandwiches ahead of time and just pull them out as needed. Sometimes, I will buy big containers of pretzels, trail mix, goldfish crackers and bag them up into single size portions. Its cheaper than buying them prepackaged that way. It makes packing lunches during the week.

It's too hard to come in the door at 6:00 or 6:30 pm to start a meal from scratch, do homework, get baths and get the boys in bed by 8 or 8:30. I usually cook meat the night before for dinner (often while we are eating tonight's dinner or while I am cleaning up). Then, when I get home, I just have to heat up some frozen or canned vegetables, cut up some fruit, pour the milk and we are ready. I also keep washed and cut up lettuce, raw baby carrots, cut up celery sticks, etc. If I don't have time to cook vegetables for dinner, these are quick. I also count pickles as a vegetable. :)

I try to follow a similar routine and goals for fruits/vegetables/dairy as the boys for my meals, but I hate to sit and eat breakfast. I never have time. I prefer to have something that I can eat on my way to work -- or at work. I keep instant oatmeal in my desk. I also have been known to eat a pb&j on the way to work. Or I just stop and get an egg mcmuffin. I figure it counts as my protein and dairy.

For lunch, I try to pack a salad for myself. If I have cut up meat, then I will make it a chef's salad to get my protein. I also use the baby carrots, cheese sticks, pretzels (or nut thins). I keep nuts and protein bars in my desk.
  • dragonflytwt
    dragonflytwt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    First of all, good for you trying to get in shape and being a mom, it's hard and don't stress. No matter what you do, you're still a mom and you work, so try and go with the flow!

I recommend Hungry Girl! Her recipies are awesome and loved by all! Also check out the WWW, I follow a few blogs like Skinny Taste, Our Best Bites.. etc. Also Weight Watchers is a good source too.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I just eat really really basic meals, no fancy cooking. Grilled lean meat, throw some frozen veges in a pot, or a handful of greens/salad, and then make some rice or sweet potato. Uncle Ben's rice sachets are good and kids love it. Also cooking ahead, like maybe cook a pot ful of rice and have a cup of that with a can of tuna mixed through for lunch. Protein shakes and hard boiled eggs (once again cook a half dozen eggs and keep them in the fridge for snacks). It really doesn't have to be about elaborate cooked meals. I'm lucky as my daughter eats the bulk of her meals at nursery but I don't see why she needs to eat differently from me.