Gym controversy- would you hire an unfit trainer?

Options
100_PROOF_
100_PROOF_ Posts: 1,168 Member
My gym was recently looking into hiring a new trainer. More or less just to catch the overflow so this person didn't have to have much experience (2+ years) . They would also have the option of teaching some of the newly added classes if they wanted to.
A lady came in and applied and was called in for an interview. She happened to be a member there so everyone already knew who she was, for the most part.
She said that she had 5 years experience one on one training and 1 year for group classes.
She was not hired though. Management told her that they where looking for someone with better qualifications even though she had experience in the field. They explained to her that they really wanted her to take on some additional education in the field and then reapply at a later date.
I do know that not all trainers are created equally so to say. I understand that some even just take week long online courses and print out their certification. ( I'm assuming that was the type of education she had but that is just an assumption and not fact)
Anyway ,she is particularly unfit and over weight. She thinks that she was passed over for the job because of this. She thinks that the gym ( privately owned, not a chain, small family business) may think that people wouldn't hire an unfit trainer.
Would you hire a trainer that was over weight or unfit ? Would you think something like " why don't they take their own advice" or maybe even " they can't even perform the exercise themselves" ?
Because she has accused the gym if this, it really made me start to think about the subject. I personally wouldn't hire an unfit trainer or coach. I would also want them to have certification from a reputable organization though.( Apparently she did not) I wouldn't trust someone who just took an online week class and printed their certs at home.
I have no idea if the gym really discriminated against her because of her size but for some reason I can't say that I would have personally hired her either.
She had a lawyer draw up a letter on her behalf and said she is seeking compensation for discrimination. I don't think she can prove it though and I don't think the gym is particularly worried about it at all but it definitely got me thinking about the subject.
Would you hire an over weight trainer? Do you think the gym may have really discriminated against her? ( I know there's no real way to answer that question, I'm just looking for opinions and chit chat)

Replies

• YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I haven't used any trainers. If I were to get one though I would want someone that's fit so at the very least they're practicing what they preach. I wouldn't want someone to just tell me how certain things should be done and believe them because they have certs. I would also want them to show me right then and there to do a clean rep of what they're training me to do and go through which muscles they're tensing up, at what time, and what form cues that they're doing that I should pay attention to.
  • 100_PROOF_
    Options
    I haven't used any trainers. If I were to get one though I would want someone that's fit so at the very least they're practicing what they preach. I wouldn't want someone to just tell me how certain things should be done and believe them because they have certs. I would also want them to show me right then and there to do a clean rep of what they're training me to do and go through which muscles they're tensing up, at what time, and what form cues that they're doing that I should pay attention to.

This is exactly how I feel too. You where just able to put it into words much better than I was.

I got to hear both sides of this situation because the girl works at my bank. I had no choice but to go while she was working today and she let it all out. She asked me if I'd hire her ( hypothetically) and I was honest and said no. I was able to say it in a sparing way though as I explained that I'm interested in a different level of fitness so need a special kind of trainer and a special kind of coach.
    (She lifts 5lb dumbbells so that isn't really the training I'm interested in)
  • 100_PROOF_
    Options
    I do appreciate someone who practices what they preach in most aspects of my life. I wouldn't hire a financial advisor who was on welfare because they can't find work. I wouldn't use a stock broker that works at McDonalds. If I'm trusting this person with my health or finances, I'd want them to be as professional as possible and at the top of their game.
  • canary_girl
    canary_girl Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Idk. I would LOVE to get certified as a spin instructor. I'm not overweight, but I'm not as athletic as the other instructors, I'm curvy. And I can keep up or out cycle most of the other instructors and my class would be tough.

But, I've taken classes with instructors who were overweight and their classes kinda sucked. Like way too easy and backed off any intensity fairly quickly.

So I guess I would say I wouldn't care as long as I felt pushed to go beyond what I think I can do.
  • 100_PROOF_
    Options
    Would you hire an investment advisor who wasn't wealthy?

Do you happen to be an investment advisor? If so, my answer is yes.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    On page 4/15 @SideSteel speaks with Lawrence Judd about this topic. I love what they have to say. "Should You Hire a Fat Trainer?"

https://shreddedbyscience.com/podcast/
  • 100_PROOF_
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Is this the same gym that allows beagles?

Unfortunately they no longer allow that member to bring her beagle. Apparently she lost a D&G coat in the locker room or something.
  • ZombieKillaPrincess
    Options
    Personally, no, I would not. How unfit/overnight are we talking though? I would hire a person that is of normal BMI and reasonably athletic though. I don't think trainers need to be super jacked or anything but they have to be knowledgeable and able to practice what they preach. I wouldn't want my personal trainer to look like they need a personal trainer.
  • 100_PROOF_
    Options

Even better- remember the fish in the pool??
  • kam26001
    kam26001 Posts: 2,799 Member
    Options
    I would hire her. I believe in all people.
  • YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »

What are all these crazy gyms?! Is there one with cats?
    W8WarI wrote: »
    My Kindergarten teacher was wheelchair bound, via a motor vehicle accident; should he've quit because he was then unable to physically, do an exercise; with us? Also what about, all of the elderly; various professional sport team coaches because they're old & thus've the inability, to physically demonstrate/practice; they should quit? Knowledge trumps physique, therefore their physique; doesn't matter!

I think it's all relative. I think their knowledge can still be of value to someone that is new to exercising for example. But someone who's more advanced or looking for very specific training is better served shilling out their dollars for someone who has both the knowledge and the physique. No one is suggesting that they should quit.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    no
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options

My Kindergarten teacher was wheelchair bound, via a motor vehicle accident; should he've quit because he was then unable to physically, do an exercise; with us? Also what about, all of the elderly; various professional sport team coaches because they're old & thus've the inability, to physically demonstrate/practice; they should quit? Knowledge trumps physique, therefore their physique; doesn't matter!

I think it's all relative. I think their knowledge can still be of value to someone that is new to exercising for example. But someone who's more advanced or looking for very specific training is better served shilling out their dollars for someone who has both the knowledge and the physique. No one is suggesting that they should quit.

There is a major difference between a coach with knowledge of a game that can instill his knowledge and help develop skills, and of that of a strength and conditioning trainer/coach that gets the player in shape to perform these learned skills.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I would only hire a trainer if I knew their background and success. They wouldn't have to be fit but they would have to be fairly prominent in the field.. I am very picky and would never hire just anyone, a really fit trainer would probably turn me off to be honest.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options

However the elderly coaches're exactly, like the bold part; of your quote but without the physique &'re being paid millions of dollars, to train; professional sports stars!

This' a slippery slope, lets take a gander; at another profession: Gynecology! Should men, not be allowed; to become gynecologists because they, don't have; a female physique {genitalia} but've the knowledge, to help; females otherwise?
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    My powerlifting trainer is overweight. She also squats 315 for reps. I don't care about her weight.

If my goal was to lose fat, I wouldn't hire an overweight trainer. It's not good "self-promotion" in the health/fitness field to look "unfit."

An overweight trainer may signal to new clients that losing weight and being fit is really hard...so hard that even a professional can't be fit.