Gym controversy- would you hire an unfit trainer?

Options

Replies

• KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    They'd have to be a chubby weightlifter because otherwise no.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I hate to discriminate but I would not. There was a PT that kept trying to get me to take sessions with her and she probably was fit but didn't look fit. I was already taking sessions with another PT plus I do Bootcamp (extra money) so I told her No because of that.

But in my mind I was thinking "I'm more fit than you why would I listen to what you are telling me.." :#
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    I would only hire a trainer if I knew their background and success. They wouldn't have to be fit but they would have to be fairly prominent in the field.. I am very picky and would never hire just anyone, a really fit trainer would probably turn me off to be honest.

I think it's smart to check the background of a trainer...or really anyone you hire. I am a trainer and extremely physically fit. But it's not because I want Instagram followers, nor because I'm a meathead. It's because the aesthetics of my body come from me applying my knowledge on a daily basis, and I'm not only extremely qualified but love what I do and practice what I preach to those that hire me.

I train athletes as well as people barely able to sit up out of their chair. While it's true advice and knowledge can come out of any mouth from any mind regardless of the body.....I personallyh would feel like such a hypocrite asking so much from someone without willing to have done it myself.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Depends on my goals and the knowledge of the professional. I powerlift. Someone I would want to coach with may not look "fit" to many people.
  • YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    bojack3 wrote: »
    There is a major difference between a coach with knowledge of a game that can instill his knowledge and help develop skills, and of that of a strength and conditioning trainer/coach that gets the player in shape to perform these learned skills.
    W8WarI wrote: »
    However the elderly coaches're exactly, like the bold part; of your quote but without the physique &'re being paid millions of dollars, to train; professional sports stars!

For coaches or those teaching professionals, 100% agree. I feel like we're getting a bit off topic with all these hypotheticals. I was mostly talking about the situation that the OP described and how I would react in that situation.
    This' a slippery slope, lets take a gander; at another profession: Gynecology! Should men, not be allowed; to become gynecologists because they, don't have; a female physique {genitalia} but've the knowledge, to help; females otherwise?

This is also totally not the same thing but you're still hung up on the idea that I'm saying that people shouldn't be allowed to do x y z or should quit x y z. Not saying that at all! :)

There are probably amazing male gynecologists, I honestly don't know but I don't doubt it at all. I'm just saying (in this specific strawman example) there's someone out there who will personally feel that if they had to see a gynecologist, that they would prefer them to be female. Which doesn't take away from the male ones, they should keep doing what they do and other people with no preferences will see them and get the desired results just fine.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    On page 4/15 @SideSteel speaks with Lawrence Judd about this topic. I love what they have to say. "Should You Hire a Fat Trainer?"

https://shreddedbyscience.com/podcast/

Thanks for the mention. This is a good topic and one I am pretty opinionated on.
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I wouldn’t take financial advice from someone driving a 1997 Yugo.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    ClayBengal wrote: »

Even when Sam Walton {Walmart} was the wealthiest person, within the world; he lived like a poor person!

Also:

https://cnbc.com/2016/08/29/janitor-secretly-amassed-an-8-million-fortune.html
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Eh it depends. You can be 500 pounds and still know what it takes to be fit and teach others how they can do it. Of course it's better for them to practice what they preach. Kinda like a fat nutritionist telling you how to lose weight. You can take his advice and still be successful. His weight doesn't affect your success.
  • buggsby83
    buggsby83 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I definitely would IF it was a personal trainer just for my own benefit because I would know that she would know exactly what NOT to do. Just like a personal investment banker who has been/is on the poor side instead of filthy rich; they've seen the worst and know how to help guard against it. At least in my uninformed opinion.

Then again if it were a gym that has a business to keep up and an image to maintain... I could understand only wanting the most "fit" looking body builders and lean people as trainers. They wouldn't be any less qualified but it would be too controversial and bad for business.
  • ClayBengal
    ClayBengal Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    ClayBengal wrote: »

Even when Sam Walton {Walmart} was the wealthiest person, within the world; he lived like a poor person!

Also:

https://cnbc.com/2016/08/29/janitor-secretly-amassed-an-8-million-fortune.html

Exception to the rule.
  • Merkavar
    Merkavar Posts: 3,082 Member
    Options
    I think I would prefer a trainer that is qualified and fit. I guess to me it more proof that what they are teaching works.

But I would take a qualified unfit trainer over a unqualified fit one.

It’s sort of like how obese doctors comment on your weight, it seems odd but they have the qualifications to make the comment.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    It is hard to take advise from someone who doesn't look the part for their profession. In my opinion a true professional would look the role of what they are selling. They may have tons of qualifications but if they don't look the part it would be hard to take them seriously. I personally don't think anyone needs a personal trainer for basic fitness. Now if you are training for something like an Ironman or bodybuilding competition that is different story. Best of luck!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about this one for a bit. Technically it shouldn't matter as long as they know their stuff. But if it was a first impression thing I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that if I had to choose between 2 trainers and one looked fit and one didn't I'd be inclined to choose the fit looking one.

In thinking about this more I realize I should consider my choice more thoroughly. I can think of a few health care professionals I know who do not look or practice good health care habits for themselves but give great advice to others. Not everyone has the same desire/motivation to be a certain way (fit, healthy, whatever) that doesn't mean they don't know what they are doing/teaching. Or they may know what to do, but have trouble doing it for themselves.

random question @TeacupsAndToning, because you are my go-to for grammar, is it wrong to start a sentence with "But"? It looks awkward to me and I trust your opinion :smile:
  • Svanel
    Svanel Posts: 6,255 Member
    Options
    I would think it would depend on your goals. Power-lifters don't generally look like someone who was more into the aesthetics of bodybuilding, but they're hella strong. There are different types of training when it comes to lifting. If one is looking to be more aesthetic in appearance, then they would most likely look for someone who has the dedication it takes to maintain that look as far as training regimen and food intake, etc. etc. Or, I could just be spewing a bunch of nonsense, lol.
  • SHAL215
    SHAL215 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    You say she’s unfit but also that she attends the gym regularly ... so she’s not unfit, just overweight.

I have had a few trainers. I feel more comfortable hiring a trainer who has extra pounds over one who has no idea what I’m going through. I’ve had trainers who were fit, and they had no clue how to help me and some actually hurt me. And I have had trainers who were overweight and could reach me on a level that no trim person ever could. That gym missed out big time.
  • W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I had a trainer for a few months who was a bit heavier but probably still in the healthy weight range. I was a bit doubtful about her knowledge for me to lose weight, but she was a good trainer, she made me feel welcome and was good at showing me how to do the exercises. I felt comfortable with her, we had good chats and she was attentive to what I was doing. I feel like I misjudged her.

Some trainers may be overweight, but have life experiance as previous athletes. Or maybe they are really passionate about their job and are good at transforming other peoples bodies. Maybe being fit and in shape isn't a priority for them, but they still know how to get other people there. It kinda reminds me of the plot in Elle Woods- a celebrity trainer wouldn't give her alibi against murdering her husband, because she didn't want her fans to know she got liposuction to get rid of the last five pounds (or something). When I was in highschool, our PE teacher was this fat dude, but he knew his stuff.

I would say to judge someone on their clients testimonies, rather than on the trainers body. Plus, everyone has different body goals. Some people want no body fat, others want to be curvy, some like a little bit of fat everywhere, some people want no muscle, some want lots etc. When I've asked other people how much I should weigh, they have told me anywhere between 70 and 80kg, when my preference is actually about 60kg. What someone thinks looks good is up to the individual.

I don't think I would hire a trainer based on qualifications alone- I would want to make sure they recognise correct form and can use most of the machines correctly, and see how well they train a practice client, and if they have a good rapport with them. An interview isn't enough imo.

Your response's the best!

However I do understand the necessity, for a personal trainer to be fit enough; if you're expecting them to be your exercise partner as well & thus do all of the exercising with you, like leading a group; during a trail run! Most of those trainers, either work with a group of people; once daily or with 1 wealthy, enough client because it'd be unrealistic/implausible, to expect a trainer to exercise at full tilt; all day!

Even those that teach several exercise classes, within a day'll just do it; to demonstrate but then walk around the class, lightly instructing individuals; that require more demonstrations & then mostly shouting already physically taught repetitive instructions, plus provide overall encouragement/motivation; to engage with the current class but to also conserve, their own energy; for their following classes!