Gym controversy- would you hire an unfit trainer?

Options

Replies

• W8WarI
    W8WarI Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Surely you judge a trainer/coach on the results their existing/past clients have achieved, rather than their own physique?

Apparently not!
  • W8WarI
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Doesn't it depend on your goal and your situation?

If you're trying to lose 60lbs what good is a trainer that's never been overweight in their life? If you have a condition that makes exercise more challenging (for example I have lots of metal work, soft tissue damage and loss of range of movement from a traffic accident) what good is some ripped 25 year old that has never has a sprain in their life?

For me the question would be what training they had. Who their clients have been and what they have achieved. I spent too long in physio to be taken in by what a person looks like rather than what they know and can pass on.

You might find this interesting, from a trainer to trainers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPH7RbeLst4

Worth considering - would you choose this guy as your trainer if you wanted to be the world's best boxer? Angelo Dundee trainer to Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, George Foreman.... He trained as a cornerman and trainer, he wasn't a boxer himself.

iyn4edzr6bvq.jpg

The bold part, of your quote's nonsensical! For instance, I don't have to try cocaine; to know that it's awful for me! I am instead able, to learn via others; without experiencing their plight! Also it contradicts, the remainder; of your post {I didn't watch, the video; to compare that}!
  • RollTideHusker
    RollTideHusker Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I’ve never had a trainer. I think I’d want someone that would understand my goals and push me to achieve them.

She was a member at the gym- did she push herself during her workouts? Or was she just standing around a lot, not really doing much? What were her workout and nutrition goals?
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    I would, also, want a trainer that practices what they preach.
    This discussion got me thinking about the Debate forum, though. Everyone seems to be an expert on fitness and nutrition there, too.
  • bojack3
    bojack3 Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    W8WarI wrote: »

If you're trying to lose 60lbs what good is a trainer that's never been overweight in their life? If you have a condition that makes exercise more challenging (for example I have lots of metal work, soft tissue damage and loss of range of movement from a traffic accident) what good is some ripped 25 year old that has never has a sprain in their life?

For me the question would be what training they had. Who their clients have been and what they have achieved. I spent too long in physio to be taken in by what a person looks like rather than what they know and can pass on.

Worth considering - would you choose this guy as your trainer if you wanted to be the world's best boxer? Angelo Dundee trainer to Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard, George Foreman.... He trained as a cornerman and trainer, he wasn't a boxer himself.

iyn4edzr6bvq.jpg

The bold part, of your quote's nonsensical! For instance, I don't have to try cocaine; to know that it's awful for me! I am instead able, to learn via others; without experiencing their plight! Also it contradicts, the remainder; of your post {I didn't watch, the video; to compare that}!

Using Angelo Dundee is a poor example. Number 1, he over saw Ali's conditioning workouts but was not the conditioning coach. He was there to hone a skill, and was an advisor. As I stated before, that is far different then a strength and conditioning coach. There are very few people that are working out in the health clubs that are training to learn and excel at a certain sport. Most are trying to increase the level of their health and fitness. Using skill coaches as examples of that is like apples and oranges.
  • guacamole17
    guacamole17 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    meh.

Someone with the knowledge to help me reach my goals is more important to me than how they look. If I had a trainer for awhile who wasn't helping me reach my goals (or listening to me for that matter), I'd switch. And I have, regardless of how they look.

My current trainer is very very strong and fit (ahh muscle ups *swoon*), but not necessarily super huge. I think he has the knowledge to help someone reach that "super huge" look if that's what they are after, even though he's not that way himself.

• stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    100_PROOF_ wrote: »
    I haven't used any trainers. If I were to get one though I would want someone that's fit so at the very least they're practicing what they preach. I wouldn't want someone to just tell me how certain things should be done and believe them because they have certs. I would also want them to show me right then and there to do a clean rep of what they're training me to do and go through which muscles they're tensing up, at what time, and what form cues that they're doing that I should pay attention to.

This is exactly how I feel too. You where just able to put it into words much better than I was.

I got to hear both sides of this situation because the girl works at my bank. I had no choice but to go while she was working today and she let it all out. She asked me if I'd hire her ( hypothetically) and I was honest and said no. I was able to say it in a sparing way though as I explained that I'm interested in a different level of fitness so need a special kind of trainer and a special kind of coach.
    (She lifts 5lb dumbbells so that isn't really the training I'm interested in)

The 5 lb dumbbells is a bigger red flag than "looking unfit"

Take Rippetoe as an example.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ClayBengal wrote: »
    I wouldn’t take financial advice from someone driving a 1997 Yugo.

Me neither. A 1986 Toyota on the other hand.
  • W8WarI
    Options
    bojack3 wrote: »

iyn4edzr6bvq.jpg

Using Angelo Dundee is a poor example. Number 1, he over saw Ali's conditioning workouts but was not the conditioning coach. He was there to hone a skill, and was an advisor. As I stated before, that is far different then a strength and conditioning coach. There are very few people that are working out in the health clubs that are training to learn and excel at a certain sport. Most are trying to increase the level of their health and fitness. Using skill coaches as examples of that is like apples and oranges.

While I understand your points, mine was regardless of a trainer's current physique it doesn't make them incapable of training others via knowledge; regardless of what type of trainer they're & I didn't comment, specifically concerning; Ali's training/trainer because I'd have had to research, that 1st but that commentator's words, otherwise contradicted; their prior posting!
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I've had a personal trainer before. The guy I had was very fit, quite strong but there were certain exercises he couldn't do/had issues doing. I think the main thing that matters to me is proper qualifications and if they can do their job properly.

If she's not able to do certain exercises then that's fine, not everyone can do everything. I struggle with a few workouts, mainly ones like shoulder presses due to me having a bad shoulder. But if she can do her job right and help people correctly with the proper qualifications and things then that's all that matters to me
  • BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Options

The part you quoted was on selecting someone because of how they looked rather than what they know, the book by it's cover error, the Warren Harding error. Even if they had the life experience I'd still like to understand what training and education they have had, and how they've applied that so they they can understand my needs. The person the OP referred to may not have been genetically blessed, but may have the appropriate education and attitude. Similarly they may have lost weight or have overcome some medical difficulties, but not have the right training.

What do I want in a trainer? Knowledge and empathy. Push me when I'm being lazy, praise me when I push myself. Look at my bio-mechanics and don't assume that because you can execute a perfect squat that I can, I have different proportions and that can make some exercises harder or easier for me than for you.

If you were having nasal surgery, cocaine might be just the thing. The specific conditions and needs are more important that a generalized approach. Di-morphine was just what I needed at one point, wouldn't recommend it for recreational purposes.
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    When I was a personal trainer (only really do it recreationally for friends now), I knew a few trainers who you wouldn’t call ‘fit’.
    Those trainers are actually great for people who might be intimidated by working with someone who is super fit.

Everybody reacts to different people differently.

Personally, I wouldn’t hire an unfit trainer but only because somebody would have to be super fit themselves to put me through my paces, whereas somebody who has just started out wouldn’t have the same requirements.
  • BitofaState
    BitofaState Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    bojack3 wrote: »

The point is selecting a trainer that aligns with your goals. Not everyone in the gym actually needs a strength and conditioning coach, some need basic coaching, some need their individual bio-mechanics analysed to develop approaches that align with their body structure, some need guidance on nutrition more than they do on exercise. The instagram inspiration guys and gals are not the best for most people attending a gym.

Gyms push a one size fits all approach to PT. I was attempting to say that I would hire the trainer that best aligned with my needs, irrespective of how they looked.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I would, but I would be wary for all the reasons stated above. That said, I am overweight and have a degree in nutrition. I KNOW what I have to do, but it's not easy for me. I can absolutely help someone lose weight by giving them the tools they need, but in the end, it's up to the individual person to follow through. If an overweight trainer can help me fix my squat form, then I'd hire them right away! (Seriously, my form sucks.)
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't hire her, and in the US she /probably/ wouldn't win. I say probably because you never know what a jury is going to do. However, its not legally discrimination to not hire someone because they're fat...being overweight isn't a protected class. Legally, they could also not hire her/him if they were gay...or if they use marijuana regardless if it was legal there or not.

Now, if she could prove she wasn't hired because she was over 40...that's when things get interesting...
  • jennrissa
    jennrissa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Personally I wouldn't. I know there can be trainers out there who are not fit and know their stuff, but I follow by example. The coach i take classes for is amazing and that's what pushes me. In her I see a goal I want to achieve, being as physically fit as her, and that's what keeps me going when I want to give up.
    And I've had an overweight friend who claimed to work out and know how to lose weight... I gained 20 pounds with her. She may have known that stuff, but her lifestyle took me down with her.
  • jennrissa
    jennrissa Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Ohwhynot wrote: »
    I would, but I would be wary for all the reasons stated above. That said, I am overweight and have a degree in nutrition. I KNOW what I have to do, but it's not easy for me. I can absolutely help someone lose weight by giving them the tools they need, but in the end, it's up to the individual person to follow through. If an overweight trainer can help me fix my squat form, then I'd hire them right away! (Seriously, my form sucks.)

A trainer at a CrossFit place I went to told me to stand near a wall, not too close, arms stretched above my head hands on the wall, and to squat down. If my nose bumped the wall, or even my knees, I was leaning too far forward.