Winter running

Options
2»

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I wear mittens when it's freezing (below 32F) and have the wind shield style, also. I love them, and they keep my hands way warmer than any gloves I've tried.

I had some trial and error with what to wear when running while it's cold, but if it's less than 20F, I will wear my new balance fleece running jacket with a long sleeve shirt underneath. If it's between 20-30, I will wear a long sleeve shirt with a pull-over 1/4 zip shirt on top of that. If it's between 30-40, I'll wear the pullover with a short sleeve shirt. If it's 40-50, I'll wear just the long sleeve shirt. Over 50 and I'm in tank tops and t-shirts.

If it's less than 30, I'll wear two pairs of pants or a pair of bike style shorts underneath my running tights. Otherwise, it's just one pair. When it gets into the 50's, I'll entertain capri-length. When it's 60+, shorts.

I have a balaclava that I love that I wear when it's less than 25. Warmer than that, and I have an ear-warmer-band.

I haven't really run in wet/snow much, but I do have a pair of spikes that I attach to my shoes that I got at Costco for 9.99. Not fancy at all, and they are pressure/stretch fit. They get the job done and I have run on a bit of packed snow and ice with complete confidence.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »

In addition to what's already been said, if you are running in the dark, make sure to wear bright/reflective clothing and lights. Also, always run facing traffic, never with your back towards it. This might seem like common sense, but I can't tell you how many times I see runners on the edge of the road, in the dark, wearing dark clothing and running along with the traffic flow. It's a tragedy waiting to happen. Be safe!

This. Also- lights in addition to the reflective strips, especially if it's the cyclists (and not the drivers) who are running the stop signs at full speed (they don't have the bright wide beam of light that the cars do).
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

In addition to what's already been said, if you are running in the dark, make sure to wear bright/reflective clothing and lights. Also, always run facing traffic, never with your back towards it. This might seem like common sense, but I can't tell you how many times I see runners on the edge of the road, in the dark, wearing dark clothing and running along with the traffic flow. It's a tragedy waiting to happen. Be safe!

This. Also- lights in addition to the reflective strips, especially if it's the cyclists (and not the drivers) who are running the stop signs at full speed (they don't have the bright wide beam of light that the cars do).

YES. LIGHTS. Light yourself up like a Christmas Tree.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

YES. LIGHTS. Light yourself up like a Christmas Tree.

Yep, in addition to my reflective gear and petzl headlamp I bought one of these for running in the dark

HP-7.jpg

I also picked up their canine version for walking the dogs, they're brilliant (pun intended)
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Don't need lights at lunchtime ;)

So today I went for a run at lunch. A planned workout. Went downstairs, changed, stowed my stuff in a locker, and proceeded to run next to the Atlantic in the snow and about -1C, sideways snow always directly into my eyes... Hat, gloves, long sleeve tech shirt, tights. Perfect, but my hands did end up too hot after 30 minutes.

Saw a number of other runners. Most had jackets (admittedly I forgot mine today), one lady a puffy vest.

I do wear a hat year round - no hair to insulate or block the sun. Light weight summer, heavier spring/fall/cold rain hat, and stocking caps for right now.
  • kimhski1
    kimhski1 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I used to loathe running in the winter/cold. Now that I’ve found what works for me to keep me warm and comfy, I look forward to it. I do know my limits. Nothing less than 25 degrees unless the sun is out and there is no wind. I also have several pairs of cold gear pants and layer running tights or compression shorts underneath. I generally always wear a hat, gator and gloves. I do need to find a good windbreaker tho. I think that would make a ton of difference on some days.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I favor an inexpensive fleece vest for warmth rather than a coat. It keeps my torso warm but also allows me to sweat. And if I get too warm, it’s easy to unzip halfwAy and peel it down to my waist.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    abungay wrote: »
    But I was wondering if any of you had any tips for running in the winter?

Treadmill

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Philtex wrote: »

Treadmill

Only when there's freezing rain or hurricanes....I find the treadmill mind numbing but have had to resort to one several times this winter (my daughter disowned me for joining Planet Fitness but it's only $10 a month and practically next door to the office).

It is an option that a lot of people choose.....
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options

Treadmill

Only when there's freezing rain or hurricanes....I find the treadmill mind numbing but have had to resort to one several times this winter (my daughter disowned me for joining Planet Fitness but it's only $10 a month and practically next door to the office).

If I'm inside, I'm doing the elliptical on either a random or hill program... preferably with something interesting and distracting on the TV. And yeah, I've got the PF umbrella/parachute as well.
  • Lalaith2000
    Lalaith2000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    No matter how cold I am at the start I am always shedding layers by mile 3 lol. The cheapest (and somewhat laziest) cold running advice I can give is to layer with long sleeve tech shirts you are not that fond of... you can easily take one off and hide it on the trail and or the road so you dont have to carry it if you get hot. If for some reason you dont make it back for the shirt well a free shirt for the next run/walker to stumble on it ; )
  • ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    No matter how cold I am at the start I am always shedding layers by mile 3 lol. The cheapest (and somewhat laziest) cold running advice I can give is to layer with long sleeve tech shirts you are not that fond of... you can easily take one off and hide it on the trail and or the road so you dont have to carry it if you get hot. If for some reason you dont make it back for the shirt well a free shirt for the next run/walker to stumble on it ; )

kind of like dog owners leaving their bags of dog poop all over.
  • justlog
    justlog Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Tips? Watch out for the ice... I know a couple people who didn't see it & ended up breaking some bones from the fall. Some people have good luck with Yaktrax... others do not.

I go when I can get a clear shot on the sidewalks or street after they've been plowed.

Only way to know in terms of clothing is to try various layering and see what works best for you.

• Wolfger
    Wolfger Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Fewer than 2 feet off the ground; walking.
    More than 2 feet off the ground: flying! :smiley:

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options

Treadmill

Not an option for everyone. Treadmills literally hurt me. Mind-numbing-ness aside, I can't run more than 15 minutes on a treadmill without aching for 3 days afterwards (hips, knees, ankles)....something about my natural gait just doesn't work on a treadmill. My natural pace variation is too big for the constant speed of a treadmill also - half the time, I feel either like I'm going to go off the end, or run into the console. But I can run outside for 2 hours plus with no issue whatsoever. So I run outside...always. :smile:
  • bikecheryl
    bikecheryl Posts: 1,432 Member
    Options
    One thing to remember..... if your going at lunch..... and back to work after..... is you will be sweaty.

I am and I'm just walking at lunch.

So you may want to have a hair dryer at work in case you come back a little damp.

Of course I guess it depends on what kind of work your do. :)
  • kimtober
    kimtober Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I love winter running! It’s certainly different for everyone but I just keep adding layers depending on the temp. When it’s 30-40 degrees I wear my regular leggings, a fleece with windbreaker material on the chest, long sleeve shirt and maybe gloves. 20-30 degrees I add my ear warmer and a short sleeve shirt. 10-20 I add another long sleeve shirt and base layer pants. Below 10 I break out the balaclava, 2 pairs of socks and maybe glove liners. My hands always get sweaty so I usually ditch the gloves if it’s not terribly freezing.

I totally agree with the other posters about staying close to home. I just weave through my neighborhood in case I decide it’s too cold or have some kind of issue with my gear. It snowed here overnight and I was so determined to go for a run this morning but our side streets hadn’t been plowed much and it was too deep so I had to head home pretty quick. Such a bummer!