what to eat ? I need something healthy.

Replies

• edward1973
    Options
    Not sure - but I have 20lbs to spare if you want them lol
  • CassandreNoreen
    CassandreNoreen Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    My brother was trying to gain the right kind of weight for hockey, and basically it was PROTEIN and lots of it. After every workout he would have a protein shake and otherwise he would load up on meats, green veggies and eggs...

Of course, keeping a balanced diet is important too, and working out because muscle is heavy.

I also have some weight to spare for ya! ;)
  • chineboy359
    Options
    i dont want that. eww. need REAL food
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I used to be in your shoes and it's alot harder to gain that some people would realize! Eat lots of peanut butter and nuts they'll help pack on the calories.:wink:
  • nikkimoon1382
    nikkimoon1382 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    PROTEIN BABY!
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Nuts, protein bars and shakes, beans, lean meat, peanut butter, oils like flax, coconut, olive, bananas, uhm.... you can add oatmeal to shakes, as well as pb and oil, makes them massive.. brown rice?
  • bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    I've been there, done that. Protein.
  • tony2009
    tony2009 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Heavy weights, less reps, get to your calorie goals, and more protein intake. I promise the shakes will work for helping you do that, along with chicken, fish, and other meats.
  • therealangd
    therealangd Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

Nevermind, I'm hoping he was referring to the 20lbs to spare not the "eating protein" post.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    To seriously build muscle you need to increase your daily intake by about 2800 calories, and not just protein alone. While protein is the tissue builder, the energy stores that actually fill the cells come from carbs and fat so you need a balanced diet all around.

This, combined with a solid strength training program will help you back on more lean mass.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options

Anyone else feel like this guy is trying to make fun of us in some way?
  • firefightinflip
    Options
    What 21 year old says.....eww??
    Just sayin......
  • ilikeher
    ilikeher Posts: 78
    Options
    Um, I'm pretty sure that meat, veggies and eggs are about as "real" as food gets. Ask anyone who knows what they're talking about and they will tell you that you need to eat a ton of Protein. (Meat, Fish, Eggs) Protein shakes are a great way to go also. Start keeping track of your calorie intake and probably add a few hundred to what you normally eat
  • Pril2000
    Pril2000 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Whole grains. Look into lentils, bulgur, cous cous, etc. Then just eat veggies, fruits, dairy (cheese has a fair amount of calories and is delicious), and lean proteins. If you need to add calories but aren't hungry, then I would say protein shakes could help. Or some kind of meal supplement that has vitamins and minerals and around 200-300 calories. That's a good boost to your calorie goal without having to eat an extra meal.

Good luck!
  • chineboy359
    Options
    I meant REAL HEALTHY food....
  • chineboy359
    Options
    dang you guys, reply fast.
  • bry_all01
    Options

What is unhealthy about protein? No one said candy bars and tubs of ice cream, everyone said protein.
  • tramaine81
    tramaine81 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Taylor Lautner from the Twilight movies gained 20 lbs and he was eating a lot of turkey burgers and sweet potatoes. The trainer in the magazine said the ratio was protein, fat, and carbs. The ratio was something like protein (40%), fat (30%), and carbs (30%). Add olive oil or canola oil to your food when you cook (like eggs, fried rice, etc) and eat a lot of nuts to get the protein and fat (peanuts and cashews are really fatty).

Another suggestion, if you don't want to change your food, just eat twice as what you normally eat of the same foods at meal times. (This should give you at least a 10lb weight gain)

Also, workout, but do not do more than a mile of cardio at one time (or less than 10 minutes). Your strength training should be heavy sets for 8-10 reps (repeat 3 times). Each body section should have it's own day (chest, lower body, back and arms). If you strength train the same body parts too often, you will break down muscle mass and lose weight.

GOOD LUCK!!!
  • CassandreNoreen
    CassandreNoreen Posts: 158 Member
    Options

What is unhealthy about protein? No one said candy bars and tubs of ice cream, everyone said protein.

I think he was referring to the fact that I suggested protein shakes.

Just trying to help... I know it works and I've seen it happen that way.
  • bry_all01
    Options

I think he was referring to the fact that I suggested protein shakes.

Just trying to help... I know it works and I've seen it happen that way.

Ah, I suppose that makes sense, though when I was trying to gain 30 pounds, I swore by the protein shakes, but to each his/her own. :smile: