Simplifying my Diet HELP!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• ms_havisham
    ms_havisham Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I love cooking, but long days leave not much time in the kitchen so I have fallen in love with sheet pan dinners. You can basically pick a protein (chicken breast, turkey tenderloin, sausage, etc.), any veg that you like roasted (broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, carrots, bok choy, asparagus, brussels sprouts etc) and I usually add something a little starchy or starch like (potato, sweet potato, parsnips, turnips) or make rice or pasta. It takes a little figuring to get the times and cuts down...potatoes and carrots usually go in first, depending on the size of the meat. I measure my oil before tossing the veggies with it, but that keeps portions under control.

For example- Turkey tenderloin, potatoes, and broccoli. Preheat oven to 425, cut potatoes about 1-1 1/2 inch cubes, toss in oil, salt & pepper, roast for about 15-20, remove pan, turn potatoes, add turkey tenderloins and broccoli (lightly oiled and seasoned) to pan and bake for about 20-25 minutes, turning broccoli after 10 minutes. And done.

I have started doing chicken fajitas the same way. You can adjust the cooking time somewhat by changing the cuts on the meat or potatoes. Most seasonings are negligible in calories, but if you have a combo that you love to use you can always premix, add it to your recipes, and measure it out for a quick add. You can even spray the oil instead of measuring it, just weight the container before and after and the difference would be your amount.

And here is another favorite, it has a few more ingredients but is simple. I fell in love with it after my sister sent us a box from Marley Spoon. https://blog.marleyspoon.com/one-sheet-sausage-roast-with-peppers-onions-and-fennel
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I don't mind cooking, but don't spend a lot of time on it. My go to dinner/lunch leftovers are:

-Roast in crockpot with potatoes, carrots, onion and dry packets of Italian seasoning, Ranch and Brown Gravy. Eat with warm bread if I have the calories for it.

-Lean beef tacos. Then can use to the meat for taco salad the next day or just more tacos.

-Soup/Chili in crockpot
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who have said recipe builder, but also did you expect this to be easy?

Take a Saturday afternoon, write down all the recipes you make regularly and everything that goes into them. Add up the calories, for the whole batch/sheet/pan/etc and then divide by how many meals you get out of it. You can then add that to the My Food section on MFP and you'll always have them. Remember to name them something specific that you will recognize as your own food. But seriously it's not tough to do, it just takes some time investment and some thought to determine the recipes you make on a regular basis.

Some websites that give you recipes will also tell you the calories per servings, and how many servings per batch. Be careful with that though: those calories are based on you using the exact same ingredients - down the brand - that they are using.