How do you know when almond milk goes bad?

Options
2»

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,200 Member
    Options
    jjungjr45 wrote: »
    This is not the final word, but I pulled out the 1/2 gallon container (the container was already opened), looked at the 'date' which was 5/02/17. Hmmm, is this good or not. Smelled ok, and a quick taste was ok. Poured me a glass for dinner and smelled it again (cannot be too careful), tasted it again and it still tasted ok. Looked fine with no clumps floating around . . . so I had almond milk for dinner. That was last night and no Ill affects today. My take is regardless of what they say . . . it is good 2 months after the printed date on the container.

For the person who tagged the quoted post as 'woo'...

I've also had a half gallon container of cashew milk that smelled, looked, and tasted no different two months after I opened it. Might as well go ahead and call 'woo' on me to, but I drank it and nothing happened so I'll continue do so until I can see or smell a 'bad' product. Not wasting my money dumping perfectly good food down the drain.

Ah, but did they mean "woo" as in "what a load of woo" or did they mean "Woo! Your milk was fine!"

This is an internet forum... I'd be willing to make bets. LOL. :wink:
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    This question contributed to my stopping the consumption of almond milk. One too many times drinking it after it was obviously bad. Generally speaking I would lean toward no more than 3 weeks past the day you open it.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    This question contributed to my stopping the consumption of almond milk. One too many times drinking it after it was obviously bad. Generally speaking I would lean toward no more than 3 weeks past the day you open it.

Okay I have to ask... If it was obviously bad. Why would you drink it? Seriously, you know it's bad, but choose to drink it anyway? I'm not understand that logic. Am I missing something?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    Once it says "almond milk" on it, it's bad.
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options

Okay I have to ask... If it was obviously bad. Why would you drink it? Seriously, you know it's bad, but choose to drink it anyway? I'm not understand that logic. Am I missing something?

I only had a sip or poured it on cereal without checking first. It is very frustrating to waste an otherwise great bowl of cereal because my almond milk was bad. My post was worded poorly. My apologies.
  • Wynterbourne
    Options

I only had a sip or poured it on cereal without checking first. It is very frustrating to waste an otherwise great bowl of cereal because my almond milk was bad. My post was worded poorly. My apologies.

I like cereal, but I'm not brave enough to eat milk that I know is bad so I don't have to throw away a bowl of cereal that was probably worth mere cents. All you...

And now I'm curious how asking someone why they'd eat bad milk is woo... *SMH*
  • LVNF04
    LVNF04 Posts: 2,607 Member
    Options
    If you bit the dust..its no good.
  • K810248
    K810248 Posts: 1 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Drank some 14 day old (open date) Silk chocolate last night & puked within minutes. :s It did not look, taste or smell weird. Spoil dates for almondmilk search led me to this older thread. Had coffee a bit ago with Silk creamer that will be on 7 days tomorrow. Stomach upset again, but not as severe as last night. I've had Kroger brand almondmilk that was similar age & have been fine. Maybe it depends on brand? Idk but I'll never forget to write the date on the carton again!
  • madwells1
    madwells1 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I have kept the stuff (and consumed) probably too long (2-3 weeks) and found no issues. After that, I usually forget I have it and lumps form. That is a definite sign!
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Honestly, same way you tell anything else has gone bad. Smells off, tastes off. If you don't want to risk having to smell or taste something that is off then I'd throw it out by the recommended date (10 days after opening) and get another one. If you find yourself regularly throwing it out then perhaps by a smaller package size.

Food going "bad" is just the bacteria in it growing enough to start converting the nutrients into biproducts you wouldn't want to injest. This is usually accompanied by a change in smell, taste or texture. Bacteria will grow in anything that has a mix of nutrients required for growth which means pretty much anything that has a mix of protein, fat and carb is going to be able to grown something and I'd imagine almond milk would qualify. Things that are pure one macro like pure sugar or pure protein powder typically don't go bad...if anything they end up decomposing over long periods of time.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Options
    K810248 wrote: »
    Drank some 14 day old (open date) Silk chocolate last night & puked within minutes. :s It did not look, taste or smell weird. Spoil dates for almondmilk search led me to this older thread. Had coffee a bit ago with Silk creamer that will be on 7 days tomorrow. Stomach upset again, but not as severe as last night. I've had Kroger brand almondmilk that was similar age & have been fine. Maybe it depends on brand? Idk but I'll never forget to write the date on the carton again!

Yep, I keep a Sharpie in my kitchen drawer for just this reason. The expiration date on almond milk (or soy, coconut, etc.) can be confusing because if I understand it correctly it means it will stay good until that date as long as it is NOT open. Once it's opened then the 7 - 10 day window applies.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    when i finish it
  • maura_tasi
    maura_tasi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Omg I had no idea there was a "use by this date when opened". I've 100% not drank my half gallons of almond milk within 7-10 days. I thought the use by date was for when it was open or sealed! I guess I might be using spoiled almond milk in my smoothies ugh yuck
  • Wynterbourne
    Options
    maura_tasi wrote: »
    Omg I had no idea there was a "use by this date when opened". I've 100% not drank my half gallons of almond milk within 7-10 days. I thought the use by date was for when it was open or sealed! I guess I might be using spoiled almond milk in my smoothies ugh yuck

I'm pretty certain if they didn't taste spoiled, they weren't spoiled.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »

Food going "bad" is just the bacteria in it growing enough to start converting the nutrients into biproducts you wouldn't want to injest. This is usually accompanied by a change in smell, taste or texture.

I wish that were the case. Bacteria that make you really sick often don't produce any visible change. This is especially true in cooked foods. Raw food like raw meat, milk, fruit, veg - when it goes off, it goes nasty, so if it looks fine, it likely is fine. But eg cooked meat or leftover cooked food you have to be much more careful with.

This question re the almond milk is interesting. Sounds like it may be one of these stealth-spoiling foods. I'd stick to the 7-10 days. The longer expiry date only applies before you open it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    If it tastes fine, it will be fine.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Is this the oldest resurrection? June of 2011?
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    Is this the oldest resurrection? June of 2011?

I doubt it. I've seen some oldies.
    This was resurrected back in July as well, too.
  • WillingtoLose1001984
    Options
    So don't laugh at me or anything but im bad at these things...i have the vanilla sweetened almond milk and it says on the box "use within 7-10 days of opening but there is an expiration date on it that says mid july! Soooo.....to be on the safe side i just wanna know....does it get sour like regular milk? How long do you drink yours for?

It gets chunky when it is old and smells bad. If it still smells good and everything you can probably still drink it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The dates on good are recommended "use by" dates, not "it will rot and make you sick" dates.