Do you eat more on the days that you work out?

Options
I haven't been. I wonder how many people actually do? I find that I am much less hungry when I work out.

Replies

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't go by hunger, so personally, yes I do... especially when I'm trying to lose weight.

FWIW, it's not uncommon for exercise to be a bit of an appetite suppressant.
  • starbird3
    starbird3 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Sasha24201 wrote: »
    I haven't been. I wonder how many people actually do? I find that I am much less hungry when I work out.

I'd be willing to bet that you aren't less hungry but rather more focused on making good decisions. I know that's how it works for me at least.

• angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    I don't go by hunger, so personally, yes I do... especially when I'm trying to lose weight.

FWIW?
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I eat the same amount everyday workout or not sometimes less on weekends I'm on 1316 Cal's a day
  • MarylandRose
    MarylandRose Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »

FWIW?

"For what it's worth"
  • Nudgey02
    Nudgey02 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I eat more on work out days - little bit more protein and carbs (normally a protein shake or bar and a couple of new potatoes with my salad or porridge for breakfast) before exercise and then more overall after exercise because I get really really hungry after! Im 5'2" female 60kg going by my BF scales I have 27% Body fat so aiming to see that reduce to 24ish% at the mo. I reckon I will need to cut a couple of KGs to get there but doing it slowly to reduce muscle loss. I have 1460 cals on a non exercise day (my work days are sedentary) and then eat my exercise calories on exercise days and carry over any I have left for the next day as I still seem to be hungry then! I'm losing faster than MFP predicts but I've only just gone back to cutting after a period on maintenance.

Having said that, I think everyone is different so if you are not hungry and you are getting enough protein then maybe just carry on as you are.
  • ManBehindTheMask
    ManBehindTheMask Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    No
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I eat way less for some reason, less hunger cues, it's one of the main reasons I try to do it daily since it makes 1500/calories a day feel easy.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    i do TDEE, but i've found I do better if i eat more the day BEFORE and AFTER a heavy workout than the day of - before to help replenlish glycogen stores and after for recover
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,990 Member
    Options
    My maintenance level is 1650 cals/day.

I burn about 650 cals/day rowing and lifting. Eat most (but not all) of them back. This allows me to eat 2000-2200 cals/day.

Always get hungry if I don't do this and have to restrict my intake to just 1650.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Yep, I do now, training harder to keep strength gains going, I eat maintenance or just above on training days and then make the cal cuts on rest days. I am trying to lose fat again, so back in deficit (work it out for the week as a total)
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    I eat more the day AFTER I work out.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 2,000 Member
    Options
    I eat within a range every day, approximately the same, but the range allows for a bit more if I'm especially hungry, or a bit less if I'm not.

I DO calculate my workouts into my daily range though, because they are far too intense not to, especially now that I've been able to get back to my "normal" workout routine.
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I workout everyday, so it depends on what I did. Cardio usually squashes my appetite so I have to remember to re-fuel. I'm tend to be extra hungry on a heavy leg day and might eat more if I have time to.
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »

FWIW?

For what it's worth
  • 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I always eat more on work out days. Makes me love my excercise days.
  • ssurvivor
    ssurvivor Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    starbird3 wrote: »
    Sasha24201 wrote: »

I'd be willing to bet that you aren't less hungry but rather more focused on making good decisions. I know that's how it works for me at least.

Everyone is different. For example, I drink a lot more water when I workout so I'm actually less hungry in general.

To answer the OP's question, I don't eat more, but I eat more efficiently. That is, I always make sure I have a high protein breakfast and a high protein Boost with my AM snack on workout days. In the end, I only consume about 100-200 extra calories, but I don't feel like I've used all my energy.