Please help I can’t stop eating

I lift weights at home and lately I’ve been eating about 5000 cal per day for three days straight so which is about 15,000 cal does this have anything to do with me lifting weights or just that I have no willpower I’ve gotten super thick but the scale says I am less in pounds everyone around me of notice but I am thick what is going on please any word of advice has anyone went through this

Replies

• lovelife409
    lovelife409 Posts: 31 Member
    What do you mean? I’m 128 5’5
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    edited February 2018

That seems like an ideal weight. As long as you are not rapidly gaining weight, you are fine. You may just be getting some muscle pump after your workouts where the muscles retain a little water that you are not used to, which is making you feel "thick".

If you just started working out, your body may just be adjusting to all of the new activity. 5,000 calories a day is a lot, though, and you may start gaining weight quickly if you continue at that rate.
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Also, the fact that you are getting up to 5,000 calories a day may be an indication that your food choices are not so great. You should be able to feel full on much less than that, but if you are eating calorie rich foods, I could see it getting up that high. Try to replace some of your calorie rich foods with healthy alternatives if that is indeed the case.

Also, are you drinking a lot of beverages containing calories? Those can add up quickly.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    So you're binging like crazy. Why are you? Have you been restricting too much? Apart from that: 5000kcal in a day is a massive amount of food. Once it enters your mouth it doesn't go poof. It remains in your body and gets digested. So yes, of course part of it is still there, and will eventually be pooped out. Added to that probably a substantial amount of water weight.

Basically: give it time. Don't restrict too much. Relax.
  • lovelife409
    @yiara I did it again!!! Binged I don’t understand why and I eat around 1600 a day but I binge on 3000 I think
  • lovelife409
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Sounds like water retention from the extra calories. At 128 for a 5'5" female your BMI is perfect and you don't need to lose weight. If you're lifting heavy and working out a lot, the hunger is normal. Try changing what you eat to less calorie dense foods. If you keep it up the scale will show it eventually, although you've got plenty of leeway to gain a little. Put the extra calories to use if you're going to eat them, work out harder in the gym. Also, 1600 sounds like it's too restrictive. Re-calculate your TDEE with your exercise factored in. Try iifym.com's calculators.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member

'Super thick'? Really? No.

Agree. I am 5'5 at 135 and if someone called me thick I'd say they were blind.
  • Shugahhfatt
    Shugahhfatt Posts: 73 Member
    lolllllll keep it up kiddd You just found the secret
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    @yiara I did it again!!! Binged I don’t understand why and I eat around 1600 a day but I binge on 3000 I think

So maybe think about why?

Because you're eating your feelings or because you're restricting too much and then bingeing on all the food you tell yourself you 'can't' have?
  • lovelife409
    @kshama2001 I set up appointment with therapist this Monday. Yes I’m very depressed. Thank you so much I do workout at home 5-6 days a week mainly lifting weights
  • lovelife409
    @TavistockToad yes I’m very strict I haven’t eaten pork in years or drank soda but I don’t put any salt in my chicken etc
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    @TavistockToad yes I’m very strict I haven’t eaten pork in years or drank soda but I don’t put any salt in my chicken etc

Glad to hear you have an appt with a therapist. I suggest you ask them if being overly strict can lead to binges, and what you should do about that.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Are you eating back the extra calories you earn by exercising? What I mean is, you would eat your 1600 calories PLUS the additional 300 to 600 calories you expended lifting weights. If you do that, you’ll be less likely, I think, to panic and binge. You might be overly restricting your calorie intake and need to eat more to fuel your workouts.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,388 Member
    Are you eating back the extra calories you earn by exercising? What I mean is, you would eat your 1600 calories PLUS the additional 300 to 600 calories you expended lifting weights. If you do that, you’ll be less likely, I think, to panic and binge. You might be overly restricting your calorie intake and need to eat more to fuel your workouts.

All of this. Also, at least I know for myself that if I don't eat sufficient salt then I get massive binge cravings. My body is telling me: give me more salt! And I interpret it as: eat more.