LOSING INCHES BUT NOT POUNDS

Options
Hi everyone !!! so im 5'1 UK size 12 top and bottom i eat 1200 sometimes less a day following myfitnesspal i have been exercising 4 weeks properly 4 times a week including Zumba and i havent lost a single pound but my clothes feel alot slacker! my two best friends DO NOT exercise they are on slimming world they are a couple sizes bigger than i am but have both lost nearly a stone in 3 weeks... Im so confused as i am working so hard and not achieving weight loss....

Replies

• me0231
    me0231 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    So, would you rather your clothes fit the same but the scale showed you a different number? I'm confused, you're clearly making progress. Isn't that the goal?
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,867 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I don't know about UK size 12 I do tend to understand lb, kgs, stones, and possibly even rocks if they're on Google!

That said: I know which one of the three of you is going to be healthier.

Having said that counting accurately is good. And 1200 accurately counted or less given the exercise you describe is a recipe for ill health and giving up.

There is no *kitten* given right that 2lb a week is correct and realistic for every single person in the world just because it falls within a generally acceptable range.

If you're not obese consider setting your deficit to 1lb a week and eating at least half if not more of your exercise calories back.

Exercise for your health and for your enjoyment. Not just to lose weight...
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    At least you're losing something. I got nothing.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I hope you are eating the calories you’ve been earning by exercising. You shouldn’t go below 1200 calories.

Anyway, it’s probably water weight. Keep eating real food to fuel your workouts. Drink more water. And do not do that Slimming World nonsense. MFP works, it’s free, and you develop lifelong habits. I reached my goal weight and have maintained. And I was much happier whenever I could see I’d lost inches and the scale stayed the same. I’d rather wear smaller pants, wouldn’t you?
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I’m 5’1.5”. I eat about 1500-1700 a day post walking/exercise calories. I’ve already lost almost all the weight I needed to lose.

I suggest eating more. And weighing your food properly. Somethings going on with what you’re saying, but I cannot figure out what. But 1200 is not enough calories. Or you’re eating more and not logging properly.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Losing inches is better than losing pounds. Means you are gaining muscle and losing fat, which is the most ideal outcome.
  • DJtobias13
    DJtobias13 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Don't concern yourself with #'s on a scale, measurements are the true guide to how your routine is working... so if clothes are feeling more slack then you're doing just fine. Remember muscle weighs more than fat so if you're building lean muscle by exercising and eating right the #'s probably won't drop off like you'd expect... all that really matters is how you feel so don't get discouraged by the scale ;)
  • DJtobias13
    DJtobias13 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    ... and like Deb said, drink lots of water
  • leandra23xx
    leandra23xx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have been exactly the same. I've been eating 1,200 calories most days since Jan 1st and exercise classes/weight around 3-5 times a week. I didn't lose any weight for the first 4 weeks, which was frustrating but I definitely have lost some inches around my hips which feels really good. But in the last 10 days or so, I have managed to drop a few lbs so like the others have said on here, I think it can be the body building muscle etc. Also make sure you definitely hit the 1,200 target of cals and eat enough. I found another area that might have been causing issues was not sleeping enough. I am trying to get more sleep now which seems to help with energy levels. And also making sure I eat the right food after workouts, as I would tend to come home and snack and now I am trying to have protein where I can. Its definitely trial and error, but keep going - keep motivated! Try some old clothes on that were feeling tight or didn't feel brilliant, and hopefully now you will feel so much better wearing them - find the positives! :)
  • oliviageorge93
    oliviageorge93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been exactly the same. I've been eating 1,200 calories most days since Jan 1st and exercise classes/weight around 3-5 times a week. I didn't lose any weight for the first 4 weeks, which was frustrating but I definitely have lost some inches around my hips which feels really good. But in the last 10 days or so, I have managed to drop a few lbs so like the others have said on here, I think it can be the body building muscle etc. Also make sure you definitely hit the 1,200 target of cals and eat enough. I found another area that might have been causing issues was not sleeping enough. I am trying to get more sleep now which seems to help with energy levels. And also making sure I eat the right food after workouts, as I would tend to come home and snack and now I am trying to have protein where I can. Its definitely trial and error, but keep going - keep motivated! Try some old clothes on that were feeling tight or didn't feel brilliant, and hopefully now you will feel so much better wearing them - find the positives! :)

Thankyou so much for your comment. i dont get alot of sleep due to my toddler not sleeping but i do agree maybe tweeking afew things pointing me in tbe right direction xx
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thankyou so much for your comment. i dont get alot of sleep due to my toddler not sleeping but i do agree maybe tweeking afew things pointing me in tbe right direction xx

You don't need to tweek to point yourself in the right direction. You're already losing inches which is the goal. You're already going in the right direction. Would you rather the number on the scale move but you still wore the same size?

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Are you logging your food on this app using a food scale/picking verified database entries? if not you have no way of knowing how many calories you are really eating. 4 weeks is usually enough time to see some loss unless that is being masked by TOM/ new exercise etc. Loss of inches is what others see so that's a great non scale victory (NSV).

If another few weeks goes by and you still haven't lost any weight then you need to reassess your calorie intake as not losing means you are eating more than you think.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    tyrindor wrote: »
    Losing inches is better than losing pounds. Means you are gaining muscle and losing fat, which is the most ideal outcome.

Um....no, no it doesn't. We don't know what kind of "proper" exercise the op is doing (no idea if there's any resistance training), but with that said it's still highly unlikely that muscle is being built fast enough to offset gains, ESPECIALLY with how little the op claims to be eating. It most likely water weight from the new exercise regimine.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »

Um....no, no it doesn't. We don't know what kind of "proper" exercise the op is doing (no idea if there's any resistance training), but with that said it's still highly unlikely that muscle is being built fast enough to offset gains, ESPECIALLY with how little the op claims to be eating. It most likely water weight from the new exercise regimine.

this. she is not putting on appreciable muscle mass in 3 weeks eating 1200 calories per day. most likely water weight.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

No resistance training and female means this is a really really really unlikely scenario.

OP, it's likely water retention. Give it a bit longer. When I return/start new/increase intensity the scale stalls for a good bit.
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Get 7-8hrs good sleep, drink plenty of water or until urine is clear, don't depend on the scale it's evil and creep in your mind and destroy you. Last be happy!