Indian

Options
Looking forward for support and motivation so that we can loose weight, become fit and also discuss Indian food together

Replies

• Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I love Indian food :)
  • YogiJear
    YogiJear Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Indian food is my jam! Give me some butter chicken, saag paneer, chana masala, some cheese nans and I am beyond happy. o:)
  • southerngirl1966
    southerngirl1966 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    i would love to find out low calorie vegetarian indian food items! and how to cook them
  • Enthusiast84
    Options
    But can you cook it healthy? That's the question!
  • renissamoodley
    renissamoodley Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 4th generation Indian to be raised in South Africa so I'm not sure how authentic our recipes are, but I cook curries often. These are my top tips :
    In a meat curry, forget the potatoes. Add grated zucchini to thicken the gravy.
    Add baby Spinach to every curry. You won't notice it but it's a great way to sneak in fibre.
    Get used to not eating curry with rice or Naan. I often eat it on its own with a spoon.
    Hope these help.
    Renissa
  • MsDollyDimple
    MsDollyDimple Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    i would love to find out low calorie vegetarian indian food items! and how to cook them

Mushroom balti is the way to go!

• Enthusiast84
    Options
    I'm 4th generation Indian to be raised in South Africa so I'm not sure how authentic our recipes are, but I cook curries often. These are my top tips :
    In a meat curry, forget the potatoes. Add grated zucchini to thicken the gravy.
    Add baby Spinach to every curry. You won't notice it but it's a great way to sneak in fibre.
    Get used to not eating curry with rice or Naan. I often eat it on its own with a spoon.
    Hope these help.
    Renissa

Some great tips there thank you. I'd never thought to add zucchini to the sauce. Going to try that.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I love Indian food but I can’t get it very often bc my husband HATES it. If there was a decent Indian place near me I’d go for lunch on my own but there’s not.
  • aminap2016
    aminap2016 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'm also from South Africa. I cook with very little oil and make my curries very dry (its more tomato based than watery) - so that we can eat with a spoon. I have small kids so if I make a vegetable only meal then I make roti for them - then they are happy to eat it.
    - Cabbage, peas and carrot curry
    - Dhal (lentils) and brown rice with beetroot salad (no chicken or meat)
    - Chana dhal and dodi (calabash) curry
    - Green beans, mince and potato curry (more green beans than mince) or else Green beans, potato and roti.
    - McCain French stir fry (with added spices) and meatless chicken nuggets / meatless chicken breasts or fish fillet
    - Curried brinjal (egg plant), mushroom and spinach with brown rice (I add small pieces of minute steak and sweet potatoes for the kids)
    - Eggs, mushroom and spinach omelette most Sundays for breakfast.

I also add spinach to most of my meals.

Hope this helps!