50 lbs gone, so is my depression

Options
Hey friends,
In April of 2017 I weighed 345lbs and was experiencing depression and suicidal thoughts. I had lost my job and was feeling lost.
I ended up sleeping all the time. I didn't want to participate in the life of my family, friends or even my own. I ended up dropping 15lbs by not eating very often. Most of my calories were from beer which I was using to battle the depression. It worked at night but the next morning I felt worse than before.
I talked to my wife about my bad thoughts and depression and we decided to make a change in our diet while also talking through our feelings. I've gone vegetarian with a big focus in whole foods. I've added an exercise program and track all my calories through MFP.
My depression has been gone for over 45 days now and I'm 1/3 closer to my weight goal. At 6'2" I would like to get down to 200.

Join me on my journey by adding me as a friend and let's create a circle of friends who can spur each other on to greatness.

I love you, my Greek gods and goddess's in the making.
Paul

Replies

• Falklang
    Falklang Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job buddy, I'm definitely noticing a difference in my anxiety and depression too even though I've only lost 19 pounds so far. Keep up the great work! :smiley: I'll add you in a second! Also if anyone else reads this feel free to add me :)
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Keep going you are doing fab and no doubt you will inspire others :)
  • Charlotte318
    Charlotte318 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fantastic! Keep up the great work!
  • rawrrgenn
    rawrrgenn Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Your story gives me some hope. Thanks for sharing '-- it's good to know that these kinds of things don't have to be a lifelong sentence of sorts.
  • paulerdmann1
    paulerdmann1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    rawrrgenn wrote: »
    Your story gives me some hope. Thanks for sharing '-- it's good to know that these kinds of things don't have to be a lifelong sentence of sorts.

preach
  • julieofarc
    julieofarc Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Kudos! And thanks for sharing.
  • ThatHealthyCaper
    ThatHealthyCaper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!! The foods we eat definitely play a big role in how we feel. Congrats on having the courage to talk about your feelings and make the switch to healthier eating. It's a big help to have such wonderful support in your wife.
  • paulerdmann1
    Options
    Great job!!!! The foods we eat definitely play a big role in how we feel. Congrats on having the courage to talk about your feelings and make the switch to healthier eating. It's a big help to have such wonderful support in your wife.

A more true sentence has never been uttered.
  • paulerdmann1
    Options
    47232873.png
  • MsHappyAss
    MsHappyAss Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Good stuff! I feel you. I am 5’ and at my heaviest was 225. I was depressed and suicidal. I have battled panic disorder and anxiety my whole life. By changing my food habits with a natural path and focusing my energy on my whole self vs just the scale I have became overall a much healthier person. Still a daily choice and challenge but we can do it! Keep up the great work!
  • paulerdmann1
    edited February 2018
    Options
    memejean77 wrote: »
    Good stuff! I feel you. I am 5’ and at my heaviest was 225. I was depressed and suicidal. I have battled panic disorder and anxiety my whole life. By changing my food habits with a natural path and focusing my energy on my whole self vs just the scale I have became overall a much healthier person. Still a daily choice and challenge but we can do it! Keep up the great work!

Hey, you're totally right, natural is the way to go. You keep up the great work too.
  • ladylilly7
    ladylilly7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    way to go thats amazing, I started jan 8th at 366, down to 344, still going at it. it can be done. Keep up the great work.
  • paulerdmann1
    Options
    ladylilly7 wrote: »
    way to go thats amazing, I started jan 8th at 366, down to 344, still going at it. it can be done. Keep up the great work.

Great job!!!
  • adele012
    adele012 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Cheers mate so glad you’re doing good. Congrats on the weight loss and here’s to more to come!
  • paulerdmann1
    Options
    Yesterday the bad thought monster returned in the morning but I kept an open dialogue with my partner and I exercised. By the afternoon I felt in charge of my thoughts again. I truly think that exercise and eating right, in conjunction with having someone to confide in, can greatly improve the quality of life for someone with depression.
  • paulerdmann1
    Options
    My brother-in-law and I are in a weight loss challenge. Who can lose the most in 100 days. Even though we are 21 days into the competition the day 1 video just dropped on YouTube.
    Check it out!
    https://youtu.be/Q2vBtdDjWYM
  • paulerdmann1
    Options
    https://youtu.be/qMLQPiMaN94
    Here's the newest one.
  • jeremyb1234
    jeremyb1234 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Man! I have so much respect for you. I've also dealt with weight issues being obese and subsequent feelings of depression and anxiety. And I too have gone plant based in my diet and I've been feeling amazing by doing so. I would love to add you as a friend