Confused custard powder

13»

Replies

• rockerbabyy
    rockerbabyy Posts: 2,258 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    this....cant be real..?

Checking...2277 posts. I thought for sure you were new here! :lol:

been away for a while lol must have forgotten why i left the forums in the first place
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    How can adding water change the calories if I only added 400ml of water instead of 425 it wouldn't make 3 167g portions the one that you add milk too says 81 cal per 100g prepared that's with milk but this one is prepared with water
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I'm out.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    angelsja wrote: »
    How can adding water change the calories if I only added 400ml of water instead of 425 it wouldn't make 3 167g portions the one that you add milk too says 81 cal per 100g prepared that's with milk but this one is prepared with water

No, then it would make 3 158g servings, still 109 calories each, totaling 327 calories for all 3 servings.
  • rockerbabyy

it doesnt change the calories. it changes the weight. 1 sachet is ~300 calories, all by itself. 3 sevings.
    add water (which has, and adds weight) and you still have ~300 calories and 3 servings. it just weighs more.
  • rockerbabyy
    also, the one prepared with water probably has different ingerdients, so that when you just add water (and not milk) it still has a nice creamy consistancy.
    the one you add milk too doesnt have/need those ingredients because you add milk
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Just have icecream - it's easier!
  • WaterBunnie
    So I have a packet of custard power weight 75g it says it's 65cals per 100g and 109cals per 167g portion but all you add to it is water so how does that work shouldn't it just be X calories per packet no matter how much water you add???

Both are made up weight - neither is dry weight - neither is powder only - just per 100g of made custard or a recommended 167g portion of made custard. They always display per 100g for comparison purposes with other products.

• WaterBunnie
    pinuplove wrote: »
    So I should just scan it type in 75g and use that because it says a sachet makes 3 portions of 167g at 109cals but the powder only weighs 75g

The 75g of powder has 327 calories. Are you eating the whole thing?

But it says 100g prepared with water is 65cal the whole packet only weighs 75g :/

Not once you've added the water it doesn't!! Prepared with water not dry weight.
  • WaterBunnie
    The whole packet contains 9 x 167g portions of 109kcals each if made up with the amount of water they specify. You only have wet weight calorie counts so the amount of dry powder you have is totally irrelevant. They haven't given you the dry powder calories because nobody consumes it that way.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    The whole packet contains 9 x 167g portions of 109kcals each if made up with the amount of water they specify. You only have wet weight calorie counts so the amount of dry powder you have is totally irrelevant. They haven't given you the dry powder calories because nobody consumes it that way.

3 167g portions but some people like it thicker/thinner than others so that would alter the made up weight it doesn't matter now anyway
  • WaterBunnie
    You'd make it as specified, take out your weighed portion and then add more water to it after you'd calorie counted it if you wanted to make it runnier.
  • rockerbabyy

3 167g portions but some people like it thicker/thinner than others so that would alter the made up weight it doesn't matter now anyway

the 9 portions is in the whole box. 3 sachets, 3 servings per sachet.
    also, just because the prepared weight would be different, doesnt change the calories per sachet.
    if youre gonna eat the whole thing, make sure it totals 327 calories. and done.
  • WaterBunnie
    (Your nutritional info showed 9 portions at the bottom - so assume it was a multipack of 3 sachets?)
  • WaterBunnie
    Or if making it thicker, weigh whatever you have made and divide by 3 and however much that weighs (it doesn't matter) it's still 109 kcals as it would be with more water.