Healthy Donuts?

Aside from adding protein powder to the mix, how else can a donut be made healthy(ish). These cravings are strong but Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts are just empty calories of temporary joy that wreck my numbers for the day.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Mmmm poutine!
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Tom ketridge's how to loss weight for good has a great recipe for low calorie doughnuts 120cals each
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    I'm not really into donuts, but my 2 tricks when I want one are:
    1. Fitting it into my daily calories and;
    2. Eating with my 2 bottomless-pit children with me cos then I only get to eat about a third if I'm lucky
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2018
    I suppose you could blend some fruits or vegetables and add to the mix. I don't know if they would taste like a doughnut you want.
    https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/kale-doughnuts-3415292
    http://www.kansascitydietitian.com/2016/06/veggie-lovers-donuts/
    http://www.pbs.org/food/recipes/medhu-vada-lentil-doughnut/

I think I have seen doughnut recipes using pumpkin puree, banana, blueberries, lemon and strawberries.

I have made tasty baked doughnuts.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    Apple cider donuts because...apples are healthy, right? ;)
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    Smell them and walk away.

I know it sounds crazy but when I have a craving I find a way to smell the food then tell myself how this will effect my goals then walk away.

Believe it or not this is a method used for cigarette addicts to help them deal with their cravings. Basically it helps them learn to ride the wave of cravings
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    edited February 2018
    There's no substitute for an amazing donut. I used to buy a gas station donut every time I filled up the car. Stale, not very tasty and yet I ate wolfed it down. Empty, unfullilling calories. Now I get one super amazing donut a week - fresh from the local bakery on the weekend coming home from the gym. Rather than instant meh-gratification, I eagerly anticipate something amazing in just a few days. If it's been a good week food management wise, I'll go all out and get a super fancy one. If it's only been so so, I get a cake donut - still fresh, still amazing, but 250 calories instead of 500+.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Syres20 wrote: »
    Aside from adding protein powder to the mix, how else can a donut be made healthy(ish). These cravings are strong but Krispy Kreme and Dunkin Donuts are just empty calories of temporary joy that wreck my numbers for the day.

Top Chef recently featured some beet donuts. Probably still high cal, though.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

These are the only donuts I really care about. So delicious. Plus apple cider makes ACV, so there you are! ;-)

I'll probably have a paczki next week, though.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

These are the only donuts I really care about. So delicious. Plus apple cider makes ACV, so there you are! ;-)

I'll probably have a paczki next week, though.

Gasp! I almost forgot about Paczki Day!!
  • fuzzylop72
    fuzzylop72 Posts: 651 Member
    I eat doughnuts vicariously though Stephanie Buttermore's cheat day videos. I like to play the 'how many minutes into her cheat day would my daily calories last'. Usually I wouldn't make it past breakfast :neutral:

None of the healthy doughnuts have seemed all that satisfying to me, unfortunately.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    crazyravr wrote: »

Have a look here.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10570146/protein-donuts-using-your-favorite-protein-pancake-mix/p1

Yeah but that's not really donuts... more like a protein cake substitute.

Same as Kodiak cake pancakes are nothing like real fluffy pancakes. Doesn't mean they're not good, but they don't do a thing when I crave nice buttermilk pancakes.

Personally... I always go for the real thing if I really crave it.
  • skinnyjingbb
    skinnyjingbb Posts: 127 Member
    I love Krispy kreme too, if really want them. I would buy one and eat 1/4 everyday or share the rest with someone or freeze them or throw away.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,879 Member

Adding protein to a doughnut isn't going to make it a health food...something doesn't become "healthy" just 'cuz protein (though it's good marketing 'cuz right now protein is all the rage).

A doughnut is awesomeness because of the abundance of fat and sugar. Not everything has to be "healthy" and when you talk about healthy, you really need to look at your diet on the whole rather than breaking down every little individual thing.

A doughnut is a tasty treat...fit one in once in awhile. I'm hopefully doing a big group ride on Saturday (unless it gets cancelled) and we're all hitting up Rebel Doughnuts afterwards...I'm getting my favorite chocolate and red chile with bacon...