Best choc milk choice for recovery

Options
I am looking for the best chocolate milk ( nutritionally) to drink after tough workouts. What’s your preferred brand and why ?

Replies

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Runners World once ran an article that the only difference between a Nesquick choc milkshake and an expensive SIS Rego recovery shake was the magnesium content. How true this is I can’t verify as haven’t bothered to look, I make it up with Arla BOB (Best of Both) milk which tastes like semi skimmed but has the fat content of skimmed - thus keeping the fat macro down a bit vs whole milk.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Whole fat milk. And brand as long as it’s whole fat
  • YosemiteSlamAK
    YosemiteSlamAK Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I make my own using the milk I regularly use for cereal and chocolate sauce. It is less expensive than buying premade chocolate milks and I control the chocolate level.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Buy the $.97 a gallon milk at Wal-Mart (whatever fat level you prefer based on your nutrient needs and taste). Add chocolate syrup to taste.

That being said, for the vast majority of people, nutrient timing around a workout is majoring in the minors.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Fairlife chocolate milk is my go-to most of the time. Sometimes I'll make up my own chocolate milk with a 4:1 carb to protein ratio which ends up being about 12oz skim milk and 4tbsp chocolate syrup.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Buy the $.97 a gallon milk at Wal-Mart (whatever fat level you prefer based on your nutrient needs and taste). Add chocolate syrup to taste.

That being said, for the vast majority of people, nutrient timing around a workout is majoring in the minors.

While I agree with your point, I just want to add some context for others who may be reading -

Nutrient timing around workouts makes almost no difference for the vast majority of people in terms of their ability to progress towards their goals (i.e. it does not increase muscle whatever whatever... it doesn't aid in fat loss... it doesn't blah blah metabolism... etc). Nutrient timing CAN make a HUGE difference in someone's ability to stay on plan and adhere to their calorie and macro goals... and that most definitely can/will affect progress.
  • naculp
    naculp Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

I envy you. Milk is close to $3 a gallon where I live, and we go through a decent amount at my house. At $.97 I feel like I would go through a lot more though
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Nestle or Hershey's syrup for me. It's what I grew up with. Whole milk only.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk because of the name and because everyone got a free sample after the Mud Hero run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Muscle Milk because of the name and because everyone got a free sample after the Mud Hero run.

Yeah, they seem to show up at triathlons too. I thought it tasted gross......

OP, any old chocolate milk will do. I prefer whole milk myself but whatever is available locally will do the trick.