BACK day

Options
Hi Guys,

I'm currently 20weeks pregnant and I'm really struggling to stay motivated on back day.

I'm currently struggling to deadlift due to slight pressure on my sciatic nerve and a bit of hip movement which results in it collapsing & can only use the trap bar otherwise I feel like I'm squashing my stomach and it's painful.
Legs is amazing, chest & shoulders is great and arms is great too. But back... my god it's getting a chore!! I'm struggling to find enough exercises to switch it up and excite me. Any help?

Currently got:
Pull Ups
Good Mornings
Barbell Row
Lat Pull Down
Close Grip Pull down/ wide grip
Single Arm Dumbbell row
Straight Arm Cable pushdown
Cable row
Back extension (but I hate the resistance one and can't do free weight anymore)

I obviously can't do machine rows or anything where my stomach/chest is pressed against something due to the baby and I do keep delts to shoulder day.

Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    You have pretty much everything there needed for building an amazing back. I’m not even sure what more you think could/should be added. I mean, I could come up with some kind of goofy contortionist movement whilst holding a dumbbell and call it “Russian Twisting Somethingorother” and it will go viral because it has Russian in the name.
  • EmmaCaz4
    EmmaCaz4 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You have pretty much everything there needed for building an amazing back. I’m not even sure what more you think could/should be added. I mean, I could come up with some kind of goofy contortionist movement whilst holding a dumbbell and call it “Russian Twisting Somethingorother” and it will go viral because it has Russian in the name.

Haha. I didn't think much could be added it was more wishful thinking as it's so hard to stay motivated with it it's driving me insane!!! I suppose I might have to look into different ideas of Supersetting/dropsetting etc to get some motivation for it.

Got the most amazing pregnancy leg day sorted which is adapted to suit. I'm loving being pregnant and find it amazing what the body can do but I can't wait to get back to training hard/heavy and using deadlifts again alot more. Think I wish I could just deadlift normally again.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    EmmaCaz4 wrote: »

Haha. I didn't think much could be added it was more wishful thinking as it's so hard to stay motivated with it it's driving me insane!!! I suppose I might have to look into different ideas of Supersetting/dropsetting etc to get some motivation for it.

Got the most amazing pregnancy leg day sorted which is adapted to suit. I'm loving being pregnant and find it amazing what the body can do but I can't wait to get back to training hard/heavy and using deadlifts again alot more. Think I wish I could just deadlift normally again.

Why exactly can’t you deadlift, or is it just that you’ve had to modify form?
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options

There's alot of pressure on my sciatic nerve at the minute and deadlifting makes it worse. Stiff legged isn't too bad as long as weight is low but normal deadlift is an issue. Also my hips are widening and on the drop my left hip sometimes collapses.
    I'm using trap bar and when I can deadlift I'm still getting to like 80-90kg which isn't bad for now 20wks pregnant... but I'm just struggling with my sciatica as I'd rather not deadlift and still get 6days exercise in than deadlift, screw my back up and be out for weeks.. :/
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options

There's alot of pressure on my sciatic nerve at the minute and deadlifting makes it worse. Stiff legged isn't too bad as long as weight is low but normal deadlift is an issue. Also my hips are widening and on the drop my left hip sometimes collapses.
    I'm using trap bar and when I can deadlift I'm still getting to like 80-90kg which isn't bad for now 20wks pregnant... but I'm just struggling with my sciatica as I'd rather not deadlift and still get 6days exercise in than deadlift, screw my back up and be out for weeks.. :/

Oh god, yeah, screw that noise. I was just making sure there was a legit reason, and you hadn’t fallen prey to the absurd “pregnant womens can’t be picking up heavy things” stuff.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It sucks to have to cut out or modify, but you do not want to risk injury, especially during pregnancy. I had to stop doing chin ups (even assisted) as well as deadlifts. For back I did one-arm rows, lat-pulldowns, and I did seated cable rows just watched my belly as I pulled it. You don't need to do a million different exercises, just find the ones that feel good and work and go from there.
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options

Oh god, yeah, screw that noise. I was just making sure there was a legit reason, and you hadn’t fallen prey to the absurd “pregnant womens can’t be picking up heavy things” stuff.

Oh god no. Legit reason. I'm still squatting heavy with a wider stance and it doesn't effect that. But tried adapting deadlifts and nothing helps
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    It sucks to have to cut out or modify, but you do not want to risk injury, especially during pregnancy. I had to stop doing chin ups (even assisted) as well as deadlifts. For back I did one-arm rows, lat-pulldowns, and I did seated cable rows just watched my belly as I pulled it. You don't need to do a million different exercises, just find the ones that feel good and work and go from there.

They all work and I can feel them working but because I can't engage my core properly & lift heavier I'm struggling to motivate myself.
    I'm not risking injury, I'm looking after myself but just wish I could find my motivation again for back.
    Was just hoping there was something I was missing that I could incorporate which might get me excited again for back but I think I've got everything. I'll find it again, just need to get on with it
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You have a lot on your list- I'd cut it short if you're struggling- check the box and be done with it.
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    You have a lot on your list- I'd cut it short if you're struggling- check the box and be done with it.

That's not each session!!!! They're just the exercises I have that I switch between.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

That's not each session!!!! They're just the exercises I have that I switch between.

Ah- yeah- I'd do 3-4 things and call it a day. You don't need to do the same exact thing while you're doing the pregnant thing. You can come back to it later. Just maintain and check the boxes.
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    I'd say that's a pretty comprehensive list.

I haven't been able to deadlift for some time due to SI pain, those are the exercises I use for back now (and used pre-injury, along with deads). Plus back extensions for lower back.

It's certainly frustrating to not be able to deadlift, but I try to focus more on getting a pump/feeling the muscles when doing these other exercises. (Deads were never something I'd really get a pump from, so I tell myself I'm not missing much lolol *cry*.)

In a way I might have more effective back workouts since I started really focusing on feeling every move I do, (I've had more back DOMS than I can ever remember) and that's kind of motivating.
  • se015
    se015 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys,

I'm currently 20weeks pregnant and I'm really struggling to stay motivated on back day.

I'm currently struggling to deadlift due to slight pressure on my sciatic nerve and a bit of hip movement which results in it collapsing & can only use the trap bar otherwise I feel like I'm squashing my stomach and it's painful.
    Legs is amazing, chest & shoulders is great and arms is great too. But back... my god it's getting a chore!! I'm struggling to find enough exercises to switch it up and excite me. Any help?

Currently got:
    Pull Ups
    Good Mornings
    Barbell Row
    Lat Pull Down
    Close Grip Pull down/ wide grip
    Single Arm Dumbbell row
    Straight Arm Cable pushdown
    Cable row
    Back extension (but I hate the resistance one and can't do free weight anymore)

I obviously can't do machine rows or anything where my stomach/chest is pressed against something due to the baby and I do keep delts to shoulder day.

Any ideas would be appreciated. :)

That looks perfect! I would maybe super set regular pull ups with one of the row exercises if you need more intensity or a change.
  • EmmaCaz4
    Options
    I'd say that's a pretty comprehensive list.

I haven't been able to deadlift for some time due to SI pain, those are the exercises I use for back now (and used pre-injury, along with deads). Plus back extensions for lower back.

It's certainly frustrating to not be able to deadlift, but I try to focus more on getting a pump/feeling the muscles when doing these other exercises. (Deads were never something I'd really get a pump from, so I tell myself I'm not missing much lolol *cry*.)

In a way I might have more effective back workouts since I started really focusing on feeling every move I do, (I've had more back DOMS than I can ever remember) and that's kind of motivating.

Haha I wish I wasn't missing them either.. I have to admit you do focus more when you can actually grip bars because you haven't done deadlifts haha. However it's not as easy to get a pump when you can't engage your core and get a full proper squeeze all the time because a baby is punching around in your uterus.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If you can't dead, low bar squats and some rows would be a good base.