Most helpful thing someone has told you about health/diet??

Options
lightenup2016
lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
There is an amusing thread going on right now about "strangest thing someone has told you about health/diet". Pretty funny stuff there! Now I was just wondering what HELPFUL advice has someone given you, that actually was sound advice, and made a real difference in your health or diet?

One thing for me was when my mom told me what a difference protein made for her. She suffers from hypoglycemia, and gradually over the years came to realize that even a small protein snack of a handful of almonds during the day could help keep her from crashing. At the same time, my sister, who is a nutrition coach, told me about how sugar can affect you as well, but in a negative way. Not that it's the devil, but that it can give you a sugar high and then crash if you have too much of it. Putting these two pieces together, we finally figured out a solution for our 4-year old daughter's terrible tantrums and fits. As it turns out, she also suffers from hypoglycemia, and increasing her protein and reducing her sugar during the day made her a completely different child. It was like night and day, overnight, and really saved us from traumatic nightly tantrums. Since then, I've also found that making sure I have enough protein in my diet helps me with my appetite control. Don't get me wrong, we still have plenty of sugar in the house, but we try to limit it to some degree, and make sure we have plenty of snacks with protein in them for the kids and myself! Bottom line, what you eat really can affect how you feel!

The other thing for me was reading about intermittent fasting on the internet. I know it's not magical or anything, but just the partitioning of calories during the day has really helped me with my weight-loss efforts. Of course, I still have to log and be careful, but it definitely helps!

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    That 1200 calorie diets aren't suitable for everyone, i.e. understanding how MFP calculates the NEAT calorie allowance
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    That a healthy diet is different for everyone.
  • jflongo
    jflongo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Learning about Flexible Eating and Watching Macros.
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    About weight management - "It's just simple math".
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Eat with what you can endure for a lifetime. Exercise goes along the same lines.
    Yes you may exercise like a maniac or eat like a refuge child and lose weight but can you do it for a lifetime? If you cannot think along these lines your lifetime will be a on again and off again cycle of nonsense!

I agree, I have especially had to think about how much exercise I think I can manage once I'm at maintenance. I can be all gung-ho and work out 5 times a week while I'm losing weight. But I know that over time, life is going to get in the way with busy schedules, kids, work, etc. So I'm trying to keep the exercise in moderation and what I think will be sustainable.

Yes....sustainable not just till the weights gone but for life!! People just don't get that!
  • dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Weighing every morsel and taking a diet break when necessary.
  • Momepro
    Momepro Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    The analogy of a financial budget for calories worked really well for me. Just like I shouldn't be spending more than I earn, I shouldn't be consuming more calories than I burn off. And if I want to splurge for a high calorie item, I need to find a way to "save" for it by either eating less elsewhere, moving more, or a combo.

That is exactly what I was going to say. And often do say, lol.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,405 Member
    Options
    This forum! I never really dieted before I decided to lose a bit of weight. Yes, I tried to get my weight down by workout out too much (resulted in overtraining) and by 'eating healthy' things such as smoked fish and black grainy bread. Next to my normal food :D

Only when I really thought about what weightloss entails, and ended up here did I realise what's important and how to do it. And the kind people of this forum have helped me with that.