Most helpful thing someone has told you about health/diet??

Options
2»

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Oh, all sorts, there are so many. But I'll pick one that has been amazingly enduring and helpful, despite being so basic:

Use a smaller plate!
  • cparsons_60
    cparsons_60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Refeeds and diet breaks. But then I would say that :D
    I second this. I never heard of a refeed before MFP. It just makes so much sense. Eating at a deficit for months can be so danged tedious. It's good to know that taking a break from it periodically will make me more successful in the long run.

• megs_1985
    megs_1985 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have hypoglycemia too and learned that the hard way in college in which I ate a lot of easy carbs then would crash at really inopportune times like in class or at work. So I learned to always bring nuts or cheese with me.

I think being a nurse helped me learn why it’s so bad to be obese. I’ve struggled a lot because life and anxiety issues but I’ve never been morbidly obese. Being in the hospital and seeing what it eventually does to people is eye opening. It’s the really ugly side of obesity that no one sees or wants to think about. Out of control diabetes resulting in amputations, heart disease, blood clots (which my grandmother died from because she ate and never exercised and was very stubborn and didn’t listen to the doctors). So I know genetically what will happen to me if I let myself go otherwise the people in my family live a long time (my grandpa is 92!).
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Learning and practicing IF has made a world of difference for me. It is sustainable for me.
  • 17adf33
    17adf33 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A friend's daughter lost weight starting every day with an egg. Bit scared of cholesterol to begin with and don't eat them everyday but an appetite suppressant for me. Due to MFP portion control for carbs. Seeing cals over a week instead of over a day. Unlearning "starvation mode" and "low fat" Still wouldn't start eating full English due to calories!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    That it is more harmful and wasteful to consume the extra food than to throw it out. My husband doesn't need any weight loss tips, but even he finds this attitude liberating at times.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    17adf33 wrote: »
    A friend's daughter lost weight starting every day with an egg. Bit scared of cholesterol to begin with and don't eat them everyday but an appetite suppressant for me.

Me too, if I ever want a really low calorie breakfast that will keep me going (say I'm going out for a big blowout meal that night), I'll go for a fried egg and a piece of wholemeal toast. Excellent calorie value.
  • netitheyeti
    netitheyeti Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    That my family and a couple of friends weren't right when they told me I couldn't eat dinners and still lose weight, and that I should eliminate whole food groups... one friend for example swore she could only lose weight on some weird lettuce, grapefruit, egg diet?... (dinner is something I still argue about, skipping them is how my mother always lost weight)

For reference, I was a clueless 200lb 18 year old and I ended up unknowingly eating only about 700-800 calories a day for ... probably 3+ months? I lost 40-50lbs between september and new years... and I regained about 3/4 of the weight within a year :( Then I came across a calorie counting website/forum with a bunch of friendly people willing to help me out and that's when I started my food/calorie diary
    Basically - the importance of actually eating *enough*, to not feel sick and tired and deprived all the time