Egg whites and what to do with the yolk

Options
2»

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks are calorie dense. Let's stop acting all holier than thou with this "egg whites?!?!?! pfffft!" Attitude. I eat eggs. I'll also eat egg whites when I don't feel like using that many calories on a yolk.

Agreed. It's not like you have to pick one side or the other and stick to it till death. It depends on goals and plans for the day.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If I'm having scrambled egg for breakfast I'll use one whole egg and one white, and give the yolk to the dog.

I did see egg whites in a carton the other day in Sainsburys, so it looks like this has reached the UK now too.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Yep - here's the math depending on the calorie chart you look at:

calories in the whites-only: 15
    calories in the whole egg: 100

Throw the yolks out - they are cheap. Who wants a FAT dog??

Not sure what chart you are looking at but a large egg only has 72 calories. I usually eat a one egg, 2 egg white omelette or fritatta a few times a week. I just trash the egg yolks and use fresh egg whites. I don't like the way any of the processed stuff from the cartons tastes and I find they are expensive relative to the cost of a dozen eggs.

And I haven't tried it, but I have heard the yolks make a great facial!!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks are calorie dense. Let's stop acting all holier than thou with this "egg whites?!?!?! pfffft!" Attitude. I eat eggs. I'll also eat egg whites when I don't feel like using that many calories on a yolk.

+1!

People need to really READ what the OP is saying.. Egg whites are a good tool to help people hit their macro goals for the day.
  • Johnsweaver
    Johnsweaver Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I eat 4 whole eggs and one egg white every morning. I trash one egg yolk just to be considered a wasteful american.
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Options

Dogs are CARNIVORES, they are meant to have HIGH fat and protein diets.. Which is something dried junk in a bag doesn't provide for them.. Egg yolks won't make them fat, grains will. Trust me, I've fed my dogs thousands of pounds of raw deer, goat, beef, chicken, mutton, beaver, pork, squirrel, etc.. Some with gobs of fat, and my dogs are healthier and leaner when they eat that than they are eating kibble. I don't eat many eggs, but sometimes when I do I give my dogs the yolk. They really enjoy it.

BUT, something that you seriously need to consider about eating so many eggs whites and so few yolks is the chance of a biotin deficiency. When eating egg whites the compound avidin binds with biotin in your body resulting in a deficiency, the yolk itself contains biotin which counteracts the effect of avidin. Making whole eggs safe to eat.
  • Iceskatefanrn
    Iceskatefanrn Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Beat the egg yolks with some olive oil, apply to dry hair. Once your hair is saturated with this mixture, pile it up (if it's long) and leave it on for about 10 minutes.

I put a plastic hair thing on then blow warm air from the blow drier onto the hair.

After the 10-15 mins is up, shower, shampoo, and condition as usual.

Your hair will be unbelievably soft and moisturized!

:drinker:

Ice
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Yep - here's the math depending on the calorie chart you look at:

calories in the whites-only: 15
    calories in the whole egg: 100

Not sure what chart you are looking at but a large egg only has 72 calories. I usually eat a one egg, 2 egg white omelette or fritatta a few times a week. I just trash the egg yolks and use fresh egg whites. I don't like the way any of the processed stuff from the cartons tastes and I find they are expensive relative to the cost of a dozen eggs.

And I haven't tried it, but I have heard the yolks make a great facial!!

Personally I think the yolks are the best bit! But if you really don't want to use them (or are doing things such as meringue that leave them over) then do a hairmask - add a couple of teaspoons of olive oil to the yolks, apply to your dry, unwashed hair, leave for 20 minutes, rinse out with lukewarm water (not hot or the yolks will scramble) then use your normal shampoo and conditioner = lovely soft hair!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I buy the egg whites only in a carton. They're sold in the fridge case where regular eggs are.

It's cheaper to buy the dozen eggs and throw away the yolks. You throw them out or eat them . . . I thought about this too because I eat 3 egg white omlette and sometime throw in a yolk. If I don't want to eat the calories and cholesterol for breakfast why would I save the calories and cholesterol for another time of day? Eggs are cheap protein, about the cheapest you can buy, no use crying over them.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks are gross. I would throw them out after stabbing them in front of the rest of the carton of eggs as a lesson to the other egg yolks.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks are gross. I would throw them out after stabbing them in front of the rest of the carton of eggs as a lesson to the other egg yolks.

Great ideas and facts throughout this post, but I like yours the best! He He :laugh:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options

Dogs are CARNIVORES, they are meant to have HIGH fat and protein diets.. Which is something dried junk in a bag doesn't provide for them.. Egg yolks won't make them fat, grains will. Trust me, I've fed my dogs thousands of pounds of raw deer, goat, beef, chicken, mutton, beaver, pork, squirrel, etc.. Some with gobs of fat, and my dogs are healthier and leaner when they eat that than they are eating kibble. I don't eat many eggs, but sometimes when I do I give my dogs the yolk. They really enjoy it.

BUT, something that you seriously need to consider about eating so many eggs whites and so few yolks is the chance of a biotin deficiency. When eating egg whites the compound avidin binds with biotin in your body resulting in a deficiency, the yolk itself contains biotin which counteracts the effect of avidin. Making whole eggs safe to eat.

Yes, but dogs in the wild live active (at least more active than the normal couch dog) lifestyles with unpredictable food schedules. Animals get fat for the same reasons that their owners get fat: poor diet and limited exercise. I ran out of dog food last night and fed my dogs each 2 hard boild eggs and 1/3 cup of rice for breakfast this morning without batting an eye, but I've seen how gargantuan a dog can get on eating table food. Normall I also throw some steamed and raw veggies and some fruits in too. Dogs do require different levels of nutrients than humans, but they do still require meat, plant, and grain nutrients not just meat.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

Thanks for your input. Maybe you could stop calling me out on these boards now. This is the third or fourth time you've done so. It would be great if I could express an opinion without being called names. I'm not acting "holier than thou"; I'm posting on a board.
  • sarah829522
    Options
    I was looking at bodybuilding.com at the diet they describe for weight loss. Breakfast is meant to be 7 egg whites and one whole egg. I have never managed to get my head around this with body building. If you have to eat 7 egg whites, how do you eat them, hard boiled?
    And what really bothers me, is what do you do with the 7 yolks, throw them out? It seems so wasteful. Can you really not just eat three eggs instead????

Make sure you check the quantity because that is for their 2250 calorie diet and the amounts don't decrease even if you put your weight into their nutrition site. You don't want to eat that many egg whites. Adjust your protein to be 10-12 g per lb of lean body mass and divide it up among all the meals you eat.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, love egg yolks!

Send them to me please! Just send them to my MFP mailbox.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Adjust your protein to be 10-12 g per lb of lean body mass and divide it up among all the meals you eat.

That is a lot of protein. hehe. I'm sure you mean 1 - 1.2 g/lb of LBM.
  • sarah829522
    Options
    Adjust your protein to be 10-12 g per lb of lean body mass and divide it up among all the meals you eat.

That is a lot of protein. hehe. I'm sure you mean 1 - 1.2 g/lb of LBM.

Oops - I did mean 1-1.2!!

Your goal should be to get about 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight.
  • maria1993
    maria1993 Posts: 112
    Options
    [
    Yes, but dogs in the wild live active (at least more active than the normal couch dog) lifestyles with unpredictable food schedules. Animals get fat for the same reasons that their owners get fat: poor diet and limited exercise. I ran out of dog food last night and fed my dogs each 2 hard boild eggs and 1/3 cup of rice for breakfast this morning without batting an eye, but I've seen how gargantuan a dog can get on eating table food. Normall I also throw some steamed and raw veggies and some fruits in too. Dogs do require different levels of nutrients than humans, but they do still require meat, plant, and grain nutrients not just meat.

Sorry, I know this isn't a animal forum.. But I've fed my dogs a raw diet for about 6 years now.. As we see with people on here who go from junk food and horrible health problems to healthy food and much fewer health problems it is the same with dogs. Raw meat, bone and organ is so much healthier for them. I had one dog on high doses of thyroid medication go off medication completely after going on the diet.. And they don't need vegetables or grains either, when was the last time you saw a healthy wolf gleaning wheat or picking a basket of tomatoes and carrots? I have given my dogs whole prey before, they empty out the grass or grain before eating the stomach of the animal.
    The only time my dogs go to the vet is for their shots. They don't have health problems and have the cleanest teeth.. My beagle was 7 when we got him and the vet warned us that he'd need his teeth cleaned. After about a month or two his teeth looked like they belong to a puppy
  • Tess12513
    Options
    I think they suggest not eating 3 whole eggs every day because the egg yolk is loaded with cholesterol. If you're going to eat the whole egg, it's recommended that you not eat more than 3 or so a week. So, if you eat the egg whites, you get protein without as much cholesterol. It does seem wasteful though...not sure what you could do with the yolks.

So true...One egg yolk has about 215 mg of cholesterol. The "recommended" daily cholesterol for a healthy individual is only about 300mg, so if you are going to be eating a lot of eggs, it would be wise to limit the amount of yolks so that your cholesterol doesn't rise. There are a variety of cholesterol-free egg substitutes that taste great! Good luck!
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I think they suggest not eating 3 whole eggs every day because the egg yolk is loaded with cholesterol. If you're going to eat the whole egg, it's recommended that you not eat more than 3 or so a week. So, if you eat the egg whites, you get protein without as much cholesterol. It does seem wasteful though...not sure what you could do with the yolks.

So true...One egg yolk has about 215 mg of cholesterol. The "recommended" daily cholesterol for a healthy individual is only about 300mg, so if you are going to be eating a lot of eggs, it would be wise to limit the amount of yolks so that your cholesterol doesn't rise. There are a variety of cholesterol-free egg substitutes that taste great! Good luck!

Ya, I generally try to stay away from what the government recommends I do, when it comes to nutrition at least.

There has been little to no link between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol.