Dreading my birthday

Options
So usually on my/my partner's birthday we make breakfast in bed (usually a full English) then have a takeaway on the evening but obviously can't do that this time round. Help!

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Why not? Only one day won't hurt your progress. Enjoy your birthday, then get back on track the next day.
  • angelsja
    angelsja Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I'm only on 1316 Cal's a day not much room for banking calories for another day :/
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Of course you can.

You can either have smaller portions of the things you usually have, you can find English breakfast and takeaway items that fit into your calorie goal, you can eat lower a few days preceding the event and "bank" the calories, or you can decide to take a day where you go over your calorie goal.

If one of those options doesn't work for you due to personal preference or circumstance, another one will.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    If you stop overeating confused custard powder, you can most likely have either full breakfast, or takeaway, or maybe even both, it's just one day.
  • angelsja
    Options
    I've already gone over my Cal's one day this week then there is pancake Day, valentine's Day then my birthday all in the same week it's a slippery slope for me to ease up for a few days it can cause a binge :(
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    OP, are you more concerned with going over calories, or with the actual food itself? From looking it up, a "full English" breakfast is bacon, eggs, sausage, toast, coffee? You can have all of those foods, maybe keeping to about 500-600 calories, have a light snack at lunchtime, then have your takeout in the evening, just being careful not to way overdo it. Maybe split your portion in two and save some for the next day? To me, the experience can be the best part--breakfast in bed I wouldn't skip, just eat a little less of what you'd normally have.

Personally, I'd try to log ahead of time, allow myself to go a few hundred over maintenance calories, and totally enjoy it!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should just switch to maintenance for a week. You might gain water weight, but your calorie goal would allow the flexibility while not causing weight gain.
  • angelsja
    edited February 2018
    Options
    OP, are you more concerned with going over calories, or with the actual food itself? From looking it up, a "full English" breakfast is bacon, eggs, sausage, toast, coffee? You can have all of those foods, maybe keeping to about 500-600 calories, have a light snack at lunchtime, then have your takeout in the evening, just being careful not to way overdo it. Maybe split your portion in two and save some for the next day? To me, the experience can be the best part--breakfast in bed I wouldn't skip, just eat a little less of what you'd normally have.

Personally, I'd try to log ahead of time, allow myself to go a few hundred over maintenance calories, and totally enjoy it!

Toast, bacon, eggs, tomatoes, beans, sausage, hash brown, black pudding and mushrooms
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    angelsja wrote: »
    I've already gone over my Cal's one day this week then there is pancake Day, valentine's Day then my birthday all in the same week it's a slippery slope for me to ease up for a few days it can cause a binge :(

Yeah, there's always going to be special occasions. It sounds like choosing smaller portions or lower calorie versions of the things you'd typically eat on this day sounds like the way you want to go.

Are you making your own English breakfast? If so, it should be fairly easy to make lower calorie options and load up on the lighter things like vegetables (I'm assuming you have some, when I make one I typically have mushrooms and tomatoes).

Many takeaway places have lighter options as well. Or you can make yourself a salad to go alongside smaller portions of your typical takeaway choice.

Either way, you can find a way to enjoy your birthday without necessarily going over your calorie goal for the day.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Why can you "obviously" not do any of that?

1. It's one day. One day will not derail months of hard work and progress.

2. You don't have to do breakfast in bed with sausage, cheesey eggs and biscuits and gravy. You can choose a lighter breakfast in bed. Your favorite fruit instead, either whole or blended in a smoothie with Greek yogurt? Granola and fresh juice? And takeaway doesn't have to be super calorie dense either, if you make smarter choices.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I totally understand not being able to eat less ahead of a food filled event when you feel like your calories are already as low as you can tolerate. IMO, it's way easier (and more logical) to have the bigger calorie day and THEN increase your deficit to compensate.

I know there is argument that one day isn't long enough for a refeed, that it needs to be at least two days to reset your hunger hormones, but I can't help but wonder whether the amount of calories consumed has more meaning than the length of time. I say this because dieting has seemed like much less of a struggle for me after an overeating day. In other words, I think it's entirely possible that this day of overeating could make life easier for you in the weeks ahead. To me the only risk of a big eating day used to be that feeling of "I've blown it now. It's over. I don't have what it takes to start all over again." As long as you can avoid that thought process you'll be fine.
  • steveko89
    steveko89 Posts: 2,216 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others saying you can definitely make a "full English" breakfast fit your calories (I love breakfast food and have that all the time). Eating a few extra hundred calories for a day here and there also isn't going to wreck your progress (unless you let it, having it go on for more than that). However, if you feel as though you won't limit yourself to a one-off day of extra food and/or can't keep yourself to maintenance-ish calories for the day, maybe this is a good opportunity to seek out new traditions that don't involve food.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Pre-log and stick to it.
  • angelsja
    Options
    I totally understand not being able to eat less ahead of a food filled event when you feel like your calories are already as low as you can tolerate. IMO, it's way easier (and more logical) to have the bigger calorie day and THEN increase your deficit to compensate.

I know there is argument that one day isn't long enough for a refeed, that it needs to be at least two days to reset your hunger hormones, but I can't help but wonder whether the amount of calories consumed has more meaning than the length of time. I say this because dieting has seemed like much less of a struggle for me after an overeating day. In other words, I think it's entirely possible that this day of overeating could make life easier for you in the weeks ahead. To me the only risk of a big eating day used to be that feeling of "I've blown it now. It's over. I don't have what it takes to start all over again." As long as you can avoid that thought process you'll be fine.

THIS is what I'm worried about I got down to 11stone 4 then this happen and before I knew it I was back at 13 stone 6 I was originally 15stone but I seem to forget how far I've come and just see my slip ups