Which is the best diet for overall health and weight loss?

Options

Replies

• TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    No diet at all?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I think the best “diet” is one that is well balanced and includes all different food groups. I heard a radio interview of a guy who traveled around the world studying the “healthiest” groups of people (those wth the longest life expectancy) and the trend was they ate a lot of plant based foods, vegetables, beans, nuts, and they were also very active.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    strive356 wrote: »
    The goverment healthy plate diet is good if you use sourdough bread or sprouted bread, and sprouted grains. The paleo diet is so high in good fats that it may not let you lose body fat. Is fat fat whether good or bad? I don't know. In terms of losing weight I mean. Low fat dairy and low fat diets may cause inflammation of the organs, causing acne and diseases. Because low fat products are all too processed. This is just my experience, what's yours?

You mean you've read these things on various web sites and blogs, and believe what you've read, not that it's your experience.

Best way to lose weight: reduce the number of calories you're eating, and increase your activity. There is no "magic" diet that will make you lose weight. You need to make sustainable choices you can live with for the rest of your life.

Best way to stay healthy: eat fruits, a variety of vegetables, avoid all trans fats, reduced saturated fats and increase vegetable fats (nuts, avocados, etc), make sure your diet has enough fiber and nutrients, increase the amount of protein you're getting from non-animal sources. And avoid advice from New Age and pseudo-scientific pundits - Like Drs. Axe, Mercola, Oz, etc.
    Thinking aloud, I need to start the best diet that will eliminate all possible disease. i just went through the healing leaky gut elimination diet with dr. axe and i didn't finish it properly. Then i went to a nutritionist who has a healthy plate diet, low fat dairy, and lots of carbs. I can't figure out which one will help me mainly maintain healthy gut and still lose weight. I think it's the paleo diet.

If you like the paleo diet, do it. If you don't like it, you won't stick with it. Again, you need to find a way of living that you can stick with for the long hall.

And there's no "best diet" that will "eliminate all possible disease", just as there's no drug that will do this. All you can do with your choices is reduce the probability of getting certain diseases. Comedian Andy Kaufman died of a rare form of lung cancer and had never smoked in his life. Some people live to 100+ on a daily diet of cigars and booze and steak. It's called probability.
  • FaithSevio
    FaithSevio Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Stress contributes to ill health. Stressing about the healthiness of every food choice you make is probably going to cause more health issues than enjoying some foods on occasion that may not be "healthy".
    Well Said!
  • FaithSevio
    FaithSevio Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    acorsaut89 wrote: »
    I've lost 80lbs on my own, and honestly moderation is key. I've watched friends go on plant-based, yada yada diets and they actually gained about 30lbs because nuts and seeds - while very good for you - are also very calorie dense.

I tend to follow the nature rule: if the world went through some catastrophic event and I had to go out and find my own food, could I find this item? Could I grow this item, or make it from food I could grow myself? If the answer is yes, it goes into my diet. If the answer is no then it doesn't. I follow this rule about 85% of the time, the rest I do allow myself some items outside of the nature rule. I eat a lot of produce, actually when I grocery shop there are very few items of mine that come from the inner aisles of the store, or as I call them: the box aisles. There are some things like coffee and PB, but most of my food is from the produce and fresh meat sections.

Another good mindset is this one: if you purchased this food, and let it sit out for a week would it rot or would it look exactly the same? If it is going to go bad, you want to eat it. If it will look exactly the same, stay away from it.

Or ask yourself this: has there been any advertising for the food you're looking to buy? Foods that are the best for you - nutritionally speaking - often have the least amount of advertising.

Just some food for thought.

No pun intended on the Food for Thought!!! hehehe
  • Nova
    Nova Posts: 9,948 MFP Staff
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Hey folks,

If you'd like to respond to the OP, please do so in this topic. However, if you wish to debate, please keep any debate about this discussion here.

Thanks,
    Nova
    MFP Staff