Strangest thing someone has said to you about health/diet??

Options

Replies

• Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    WardaRiaz wrote: »
    Eat as much fruit. It doesnot makes you fat.

But the most important one on which i have not researched is. All the elders around me say some people have soft fat and they lose it quickly but gain it quickly aswell. Some people have hard fat they lose it slowly and gain slowly aswell. This doesnot makes sense to me.

There is some truth to this, but I cant remember where I heard this topic discussed about different types of fat.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    ZDeb16 wrote: »
    someone in my office shared the following exciting diet yesterday in the hopes that I would join in :smile:

Overview of Allowed Foods

Day One: Eat only low-sugar fruit today. No bananas! Choose apples, pomegranates, and any citrus you like. Drink 12 glasses of water.

Day Two: Vegetables only. Start the day with a boiled potato. Eat the salads of your choice, plus drink 12 glasses of water.

Day Three: You're allowed both fruit and vegetables today. No potatoes or bananas. Drink 12 glasses of water.

Day Four: Eat eight whole bananas today. Make and eat today's basic vegetable soup recipe. Drink three glasses of milk. Also, drink 12 glasses of water.

Day Five: Eat six small tomatoes today plus a serving of plain, boiled rice. You can also have more vegetable soup, apples, oranges, and grapefruit. Drink at least 10 glasses of water

Day Six: Eat a small serving of rice. You can have vegetable soup three times. Drink at least 10 glasses of water.

Day Seven: Eat a small serving of rice. You can have vegetable soup and vegetable salad today. Drink at least 10 glasses of water, plus fruit juice if desired.

Bizarre!!!

Sooooo bizarre!!

I feel like most office jobs I worked in during my 20s, half the women there were doing this stuff every couple of weeks. They were mostly older than me (at the time) ladies in their 40s-50s and they gained and lost the same 10 lb for years, through this great and complicated effort LMAO
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    That Man was never meant to consume wheat and other grains. It's why people have so many health problems now. Also, legumes contain toxins that our bodies can't flush out and should be avoided.... um, yeah okay...
  • Crafty_camper123
    Crafty_camper123 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    Another one: That the GAPS diet cures "leaky gut" syndrome, which is the leading cause of ADHD, Autism, and many other health problems in children (along with vaccines, of course).
  • Eelkov
    Eelkov Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    someone told me she was going on "The" gluten free diet... to loose weight (??!?). I asked if she was gluten intollerant, and she wasn't.
  • pcw65
    pcw65 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    One more...when I lived back in the UK our local barman was a little on the heavy side. He announced to the pub that he would be losing weight. For the next few weeks he was eating and drinking way more than usual. He told someone that he had learned that it is easier to lose weight if you initially gained weight. That gained weight comes off fast and you keep the momentum going to lose more, like taking a running start.... Needless to say it didn't work. He gained 10+ pounds and never lost it. He never was the smartest cookie in the jar.
  • Enthusiast84
    Enthusiast84 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That dairy is the devil. Never understood that one.

You will never loose weight by missing breakfast. Well I'm loosing pretty good so far without breakfast.

Oh bread is another evil apparently!
  • knhigham
    knhigham Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My husband keeps on getting frustrated with me trying to track my food intake. He always tells me “you can eat whatever you want if you just go to the gym five days a week” and then he wonders why I don’t put as much on my plate as he does. :#
  • strongwouldbenice
    strongwouldbenice Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    One of my workmates swore off of bread because 'carbs make you fat'. She said all of this while eating a big bowl of oats.
  • layladrew26
    layladrew26 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Long before I discovered MFP and CICO, someone told me in order to lose weight I had to drink warm lemon water every morning. This was supposed to 'kick-start my metabolism'. Yeah right! all it did was make my teeth hurt.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    Shanel0916 wrote: »
    WardaRiaz wrote: »
    Eat as much fruit. It doesnot makes you fat.

But the most important one on which i have not researched is. All the elders around me say some people have soft fat and they lose it quickly but gain it quickly aswell. Some people have hard fat they lose it slowly and gain slowly aswell. This doesnot makes sense to me.

There is some truth to this, but I cant remember where I heard this topic discussed about different types of fat.

We have brown fat and white fat; brown fat is burned to generate heat. Babies are born with a lot of brown fat and we lose it as we get older and then we end up with the make-you-fat white fat.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    You can build "bulky" or "lean" muscle. Lean muscle is longer, while the bulky is shorter.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    That I can eat whatever I want because I walk so much. Because apparently burning maybe 600 extra calories a day magically makes up for the fries, ice cream, and pastries that I want to eat.

Also a friend got told by her daughter's pediatrician that a gluten free diet will help with her attention issues. I'm quite sure that it's not how it works, and she's constantly broke and paying extra for gluten free stuff (half the time).
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    You can build "bulky" or "lean" muscle. Lean muscle is longer, while the bulky is shorter.

I've heard this one- yoga and Pilates build lean muscle, weught training builds bulky muscle. Don't lift heavy if you don't want bulky muscle.
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    In the early 90s at the height of the no fat craze coworker told me it was okay to eat a whole loaf of bread (one of those mini bread bowls ) as long as I didn't put butter on it and I won't gain weight :#
    Fitness wise, my mother told me 20 years ago with my first pregnancy that I should not exercise, I'm depriving the baby of oxygen. Wtf? Yeah, I gained 57 lbs because my dumb *kitten* thought it made sense.
  • gogetemrogue
    gogetemrogue Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    "Two slices of pizza are the same as eating two spoonfuls of warm oil." WHAT?!?!?!?