Veggies....UGH!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Roastiing just about any vegetable makes them that more amazing. Roasted cauliflower is huge in our house even my daycare kids love it. You can experiment with flavorings, we used to always use curry powder and a splash of lemon juice but lately plain with maybe a sprinkle of salt is all we need!

Roasting vegetables in balsamic vinegar is great too!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    green smoothies. full of kale, spinach, chard or collards... choose one or two and put a couple handfuls in with almond milk, dark cherries, blueberries, peaches, pineapple...

basic recipe for 2 pints (2 servings), around 150-175c each

about a cup of greens
    1.25c almond, soy or coconut milk (easy on the soy, if you eat a lot of it, it can overload estrogen levels - i prefer almond milk, myself)
    1 banana
    1.25c frozen fruit (mixture of whatever you like)

gulp gulp gulp! delicious and nutritious.

you can get extra fancy, too, using things like nori, blue algae, hemp protein, etc. be creative, but get your greens in!

minor note:

THIS DOES NOT REPLACE A MEAL; it is a nutritious thing to drink. it should not be your ONLY source of greens, but an addendum to your daily intake.

enjoy!

Sounds interesting.
  • salmat77
    salmat77 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou:
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE an egg white omelet packed with veggie!!!!

I spray a pan with cooking spray, and toss in mushrooms, peppers, onions and spinach....and when they are tender, I put them in a 2 egg white omelet.....SOOOOO GOOOD!!

Or, sauteed spinach is DELISH by itself...with a splash of lemon juice and a sprinkle of garlic powder :)

Thanks I will definitely try this one!!!

Fresh Spinach or frozen??? Sounds yummy

I've only ever used fresh spinach...its SOOOOO delish!!!
  • frecklemouse3k
    Options
    add a veggie in most everything you eat - the taste can be masked most of the time. IE: Pizza-fresh tomatoes, salads can be made with everything, mushrooms chopped up into meatloaf, carrots, celery and onions are great bases with a lot of meals from spaghetti sauce to roasts. My kids favorites are : carrots with ranch dressing or steamed and lightly coated in syrup or butter, broccoli with cheese, and green peppers with ranch.
    I eat very little meat and one of my favorite veggie meals is a sandwich-sauteed zucchini, squash, and peppers with a dusting of the dry ranch sauce packet- quickly sauteed with EVOO then put inside favorite sandwich roll, a little bit of Swiss cheese then warm in oven until cheese is almost melted- can do just the veggies with the ranch sauteed as a side dish also
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Grilling veggies add great flavor!

What type of seasoning do you use when you grill them??

I don't season them... sometimes a little spray of olive oil, maybe a sprinkle of salt, pepper and or granulated garlic. We often grill asparagus, red/yellow/orange peppers, zucchini, eggplant, corn, onions, artichokes.

I used to dislike veggies too. Now they have become my favorite part of the meal because you can eat a TON for very little calories!
  • salmat77
    Options
    add a veggie in most everything you eat - the taste can be masked most of the time. IE: Pizza-fresh tomatoes, salads can be made with everything, mushrooms chopped up into meatloaf, carrots, celery and onions are great bases with a lot of meals from spaghetti sauce to roasts. My kids favorites are : carrots with ranch dressing or steamed and lightly coated in syrup or butter, broccoli with cheese, and green peppers with ranch.
    I eat very little meat and one of my favorite veggie meals is a sandwich-sauteed zucchini, squash, and peppers with a dusting of the dry ranch sauce packet- quickly sauteed with EVOO then put inside favorite sandwich roll, a little bit of Swiss cheese then warm in oven until cheese is almost melted- can do just the veggies with the ranch sauteed as a side dish also

mmmmm...mmmmm that sandwhich sounds wonderful!! Thank you!
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i make a dip out of light sour cream and powdered ranch. I eat that with bell peppers and carrots. Grilled veggies are amazing as well.

you can replace that dip occasionally with hummus. i like to roast poblano peppers & garlic and blend into the chickpeas... unbelievably delish.

also you can use white beans for humms if you're bored with or don't like chickpeas. celery is nice to dip, too.
  • H_Factor
    H_Factor Posts: 1,722 Member
    Options
    about 2 months ago, I didn't think I liked asparagus. then I tried something...I cut off a piece of tin foil, laid down some asparagus spears, drizzled on some EVOO, sprinkled on dill and Mrs. Dash's original recipe, and added some garlic (sometimes I also add mushrooms or bean sprouts). I close the tin foil, polk holes in the top, and throw it on the grill. truly YUMILICIOUS and easily one of my favorite things to eat now.

I also like veggie stir fry (you can also add grilled chicken). unfortunately, I didn't see too many veggies on your "like list" that I find ideal for sitr fy....but you might want to try to mix in stir fry because it might taste different this way. start with EVOO, throw in diced onions, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, fresh spinach, bean sprouts, snow peas...add some low sodium soy sauce and reduced Kikkoman Stir Fry Sauce. YUM!
  • Sonya1978
    Sonya1978 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I try to make something wonderful for dinner the night before and bring leftovers.
  • kayemme
    Options
    THIS DOES NOT REPLACE A MEAL; it is a nutritious thing to drink. it should not be your ONLY source of greens, but an addendum to your daily intake.

Sounds interesting.

i drink one every single day.
  • kayemme
    Options
    also grated squash in a vegetable lasagne with homemade ricotta... shut the front door.

in fact, grated squash & carrots in a pasta shell with a mushroom marinara.. .omg.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Sometimes just sticking with something pays off and you learn to develop a new taste. I've been on a no-salt diet to support my guy the past two weeks. At first - blah, but slowly my tastes are changing. Surprisingly I'm learning how crisp and fresh things taste when not covered up with salt. I hope the same for you with more veggies.

I like to mix the slower carb ones like zuchini, summer squash, green beans, tomatoes, carrots, shredded cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower and the like, spray non-stick food spray in a wok and stir fry. Add a touch of water now and then to keep the fry going without extra calories. Add garlic, basil, other Italian seasons of choice. Sprinkle with parmesan shreds. Yum and just around 100 calories a serving.
  • salmat77
    Options
    about 2 months ago, I didn't think I liked asparagus. then I tried something...I cut off a piece of tin foil, laid down some asparagus spears, drizzled on some EVOO, sprinkled on dill and Mrs. Dash's original recipe, and added some garlic (sometimes I also add mushrooms or bean sprouts). I close the tin foil, polk holes in the top, and throw it on the grill. truly YUMILICIOUS and easily one of my favorite things to eat now.

I also like veggie stir fry (you can also add grilled chicken). unfortunately, I didn't see too many veggies on your "like list" that I find ideal for sitr fy....but you might want to try to mix in stir fry because it might taste different this way. start with EVOO, throw in diced onions, mushrooms, zucchini, yellow squash, fresh spinach, bean sprouts, snow peas...add some low sodium soy sauce and reduced Kikkoman Stir Fry Sauce. YUM!

oh yea I do like squash, zucchini, asparagus... I guess I dont think about all of these veggies because I dont use them much.. Mushrooms only if they are cooked and I cant see them :sick:
    green beans are good and cabbage if its cooked too.. WOW, I had a duh moment I guess I really do like a lot of different veggies but I had hard times knowing what to do with them.. LOL
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    if you honestly hate veggies, try juice plus. it is 17 fruits, veggies and grains crush and dehydrated to pill form.

here is my friend's website: www.JPGail.com

try taking these for a month and slowly reintroduce yourself to the veggies you think you hated. you might find that you actually like them now after you have taken the juice plus vitamins.

the veggies in juice plus are:
    Beet: Folate, iron and calcium
    Broccoli: Folate, vitamin C, and several carotenoids including beta-carotene, lutein, zeaxanthin, and glucosinolates
    Cabbage: Vitamin C, folate, and glucosinolates
    Carrot: Several carotenoids including beta-carotene, along with vitamin E
    Kale: Vitamin C, folate, magnesium, and several carotenoids including beta carotene, lutein, and zeaxanthin
    Parsley: Vitamin C, folate, several carotenoids and flavonols
    Spinach: Folate, vitamin C, vitamin E, several carotenoids, iron, and calcium
    Tomato: Vitamin C, polyphenols, and several carotenoids including lycopene (depending on whether you consider it a fruit or a veggie)

we have used the 'chewables' as a family for over 7 years. i can't recommend them enough.
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Just remember that potatoes and corn are really starches not "real" veggies.
  • sexybeautifulme
    sexybeautifulme Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I don't like vegetables and my nutritionist recommended to drink V8 Fusion. It works for me because I get my serving of vegetable and fruits in one without that nasty tomato taste from regular V8.
  • dinahcernava
    dinahcernava Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I sometimes eat Annie Chun's natural udon soup and start by simmering 2 cups raw kale or another green with 2 minced garlic cloves for about 15 minutes in the cup of water called for in the soup then adding the soups packets simmering with the noodles about 2 minutes and adding a diced tomato and a half lime after its finished for a fresh flavor and extra vitimans..just an idea for an easy eat your greens meal..:smile:
  • kayemme
    Options
    one thing about vegetables is that because our (american) palate is saturated with fat, salt & sugars, we are not readily accustomed to what food really tastes like.

to make the switch, simply focus on removing one thing at a time - go a week with low salt or low sugar or low fat but not all three at the same time. then the next week (or if it takes 2, fine) reduce one other thing, then finally the last thing.

within a month or so your palate will have changed for the better and you'll start actually liking many vegetables you never thought you'd like.

for instance, i now love brussels sprouts. 2 years ago, you couldn't put them in front of my face without a gag reflex. turns out, they're delicious! same with beets & broccoli.
  • misstorrence
    misstorrence Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    my brother is like a supplement nut, and he started me on vegegreens. it's a drink mix, you take it once a day in the morning. (there's also phytoberry which is for fruits.) but it helps replace veggies if you don't eat all you need in one day. it also increases your energy levels and some other stuff! hope that helps xo
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that when it comes to food, NATURAL/WHOLE FOODS are best. Your body is meant to break down & digest foods. So, when you eat or drink something that is powder or juice form, it's already broken down and your body doesn't have to work very much to break it down. So, you may feel hungry again rather quickly. And the veggie/fruit drinks and pills are usually void of most, if not all dietary fiber. That's the problem with juicers, you remove all the good skin and pulp that contain all the fiber. And the fiber is what you need to help slow the process of all the carbs/sugars. So, in a pinch, those products are OK. But, there is no substitute for real food. The best thing to do is to learn to eat them. There are endless ways to prepare veggies and ways to "hide" them in foods. Blending them into smoothies is better than juicing since you are still eating all the parts; not just the juice. Hope that helps!