Fatty on a mission.

Options
Hey guys! I am a 29 year old father of two from good ol Iowa. I was at 390 lbs and dropped down to 372 lbs in three and a half weeks. I have been using the Samsung Health App along with my Gear S3 Frontier. However When I started the weight management tool it jumped my needed calorie intake from 2150 a day to almost 4000 calories a day! So I am confused as to why I need that many calories when I have been loosing weight and feeling full around the 2150 mark if not less.. Also I am finding more stories about how inaccurate the Gear S3 watch and Samsung Heath App are. Does anyone have any suggestions to any of these issues? Should I keep using the watch and app? Is there a better app and device to track these things? And should I be consuming this amount of calories?

Well anyway Thanks for checking out my post and I am looking forward to hearing from more seasoned veterans of fitness.

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!

The 4000 calories does not sound right. I used the TDEE calculator using what information you supplied and think the 2150 is right though.

Track your calorie intake here and add additional calories burns from your tracker. Make sure you eat back at least half of your calorie burns.
  • atwiskus
    atwiskus Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you Tiny! I checked out a TDEE calculator, and I figured out my body fat percentage (34%) and the calculator showed me this.

Basal Metabolic Rate 2,763 calories per day
    Sedentary 3,315 calories per day
    Light Exercise 3,799 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 4,282 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 4,765 calories per day
    Athlete 5,249 calories per day

I have started a simple at home work out 3 days a week for 20 minutes. Also when it gets warmer out I plan on cycling. So the next questions is, how do I find out if my calorie counter on my Gear S3 is accurate or not?
  • darrenbeckworth
    darrenbeckworth Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    If you're 372 lbs your body fat percentage is way over 34% unless you're like 10 feet tall.

You should put your numbers into mfp and follow what it suggests for intake.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything regarding the gear S3, Im sorry!

You should post again in the Fitness board and title it "Help with Samsung Gear S3" or something like that.
  • atwiskus
    atwiskus Posts: 3 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    If you're 372 lbs your body fat percentage is way over 34% unless you're like 10 feet tall.

You should put your numbers into mfp and follow what it suggests for intake.

I measured my waist, wrist, forearm, neck, and hips and 34 percent is what I have calculated using online calculators for my Body Fat Percentage. My Body Mass Index is 56. Which measures height vs weight.
  • always4my2kids
    always4my2kids Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the app/device but I have heard from other friends that the calories burned for activity is off. I have lost 95 pounds so far and have a lot more to lose. I use a FitBit and since it's linked to MFP I only track and use MFP for my food/calories/etc. They sync. Can you link your device to MFP? I'd go with what you were doing. 2150 calories is a good deficit to lose weight. Good luck on your journey!
  • Golferdrone
    Golferdrone Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I use same setup: steps I use my watch, exercise health/watch, food=Mfp. Have it flow both ways. Eat around 2000 regardless