WTH is a “crisp”

Replies

• JustSomeJD
    JustSomeJD Posts: 416 Member
    Don’t forget “straight away” instead of right away or right now.
  • JustSomeJD
    What do they call their sanitation engineers? ;)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Tallawah_ wrote: »
    Oh people purleeez! To us Brits fries and chips are not the same thing! If we went to a fish and chip shop and were given fries we would be VERY upset! :lol:

6ocdo54vwaed.jpg

You actually use 'fries' in the UK too?
  • Tallawah_
    Tallawah_ Posts: 2,469 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Oh people purleeez! To us Brits fries and chips are not the same thing! If we went to a fish and chip shop and were given fries we would be VERY upset! :lol:

6ocdo54vwaed.jpg

You actually use 'fries' in the UK too?

Absolutely and very specifically! :smile:
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member

6ocdo54vwaed.jpg

this is actually quite helpful.

thank you.

so.. carry on and off you go, govanour !
  • Francl27
    Motorsheen wrote: »

6ocdo54vwaed.jpg

thank you.

It's kinda nice actually. Here I often order fries and end up with 'chips', it would be kinda nice to be able to make the distinction (I guess we have the same issue with 'hashbrowns' or 'homefries' in diners at breakfast too).
  • Motorsheen

6ocdo54vwaed.jpg

thank you.

It's kinda nice actually. Here I often order fries and end up with 'chips', it would be kinda nice to be able to make the distinction (I guess we have the same issue with 'hashbrowns' or 'homefries' in diners at breakfast too).

I agree.

While in the UK, the distinction is quite helpful.

I don't eat fries but will make the rare exception, when in London, to have Fish & Chips at a local pub.
  • tammyfranks2
    tammyfranks2 Posts: 290 Member
    now but i make cheese crisp , which are low carb piles of mozzarella and spices that i bake in the oven , they come out looking like lace cookies , called crisp LOL blow your mind yet ??
  • Francl27

6ocdo54vwaed.jpg

thank you.

I agree.

While in the UK, the distinction is quite helpful.

I don't eat fries but will make the rare exception, when in London, to have Fish & Chips at a local pub.

Kinda funny actually when you order fish and chips in the US, you never know what you're going to get!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    newmeadow wrote: »
    And the made up word "carer" has really taken off there. Pronounced Kaera in merry olde and is largely unpronounceable in American because we make the r sound guttural and generally gurgle and strangle on it. Hence we use the proper terms nursemaid, handmaiden or indentured servant.

Much like the weird American pronunciation of "caramel"?
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    And the made up word "carer" has really taken off there. Pronounced Kaera in merry olde and is largely unpronounceable in American because we make the r sound guttural and generally gurgle and strangle on it. Hence we use the proper terms nursemaid, handmaiden or indentured servant.

I say Karmell. Should it be more like caravan?

I know girls called Carmel... When I hear the American pronunciation of caramel, it always makes me think of the girls name! And yes! We say it more like caravan...
  • JustSomeJD

This is a very regional thing on how it is pronounced. Much like pecan. Some say “pe-cahn” others say “PEE-can”.

Fries here are fried potatoes. They can be shoestring (McDonald’s) thick cut (Wendy’s) steak fries (more like a slab of potato at least twice as wide as it is thick), and wedges.

Homefries and hash browns are a craps shoot. Some are shredded (my favorite) and some are cubed. No rhyme or reason as to who calls them what.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Oh and their use of the word partner and what it means to them. Don't even get me started.

I never appreciated the narrow USian use of partner until I was in Afghanistan and running a team that was largely made up of DoD, USMC and US Army.

We were about four months in when one worked up the courage to ask for clarification. Absolutely hysterical.

He couldn't proffer an alternative term though.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    I'm glad that I live in a place where the biggest debate is Coke vs. Soda vs. Pop :lol:
  • Motorsheen
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I don’t care what they are called. I eat all the food.

All the food?

... that's a lot of food; I'm impressed.
  • dazzyboy29
    dazzyboy29 Posts: 3 Member
    I know they don't vacuum, they Hoover. They put an s after the word math. And they order a lemonade in a bar when they clearly mean Sprite and/or 7 Up. Things aren't all set. They're sorted. And they're obsessed with the words lovely and brilliant. Oh and their use of the word partner and what it means to them. Don't even get me started.

We order lemonade in a bar because that's clearly what we Brits want, but you lovely and brilliant Yanks don't have it so we end up getting Sprite or 7Up (which is actually lemon and lime)!

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    dazzyboy29 wrote: »
    I know they don't vacuum, they Hoover. They put an s after the word math. And they order a lemonade in a bar when they clearly mean Sprite and/or 7 Up. Things aren't all set. They're sorted. And they're obsessed with the words lovely and brilliant. Oh and their use of the word partner and what it means to them. Don't even get me started.

We order lemonade in a bar because that's clearly what we Brits want, but you lovely and brilliant Yanks don't have it so we end up getting Sprite or 7Up (which is actually lemon and lime)!

That's funny. I served in American restaurants for 20 years. When I asked the very steady stream of touring Brits what lemonade was to them they said "that fizzy drink that's clear in colour and flavoured with lemon." Our lemonade is fresh or re-constituted lemon juice with added still water and flavored with sugar. It's opaque with a gently yellow hue and is, of course, not carbonated.

Sprite and 7 Up both taste different to lemonade. The texture is different as well, I find 7 Up sticky and quite unpleasant, Sprite is less sticky, but still a bit thick cf lemonade.