Vegan or Whole food Plant based folks - I need some Math help - too many calories left over

Options
Hi folks. This is a major work in progress. My macros are looking good but I still have 700 calories left. What am I doing wrong? Appreciate your KIND and GENTLE input. Thanks!

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Do you mean your macro percentages are correct, or the grams are correct?

Macro percentages can be "right" at any calorie amount - whatever you eat will be made up of a certain % of carbs, fat and protein, and will always equal 100%.

If you're macros are right in grams, but your calories are really off (not just a little but that rounding may account for), you're using entries with incorrect or incomplete information.

(personally, I would work on increasing protein - your intake is generally very low)
  • TribeHokie
    TribeHokie Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Are you full after eating? Because the volume of your meals doesn't look like much. Perhaps just more of the same until you hit your calories.
  • onefortypoint6
    onefortypoint6 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    What does your exercise routine look like? ~600 calories per day might be high depending on what it is.
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    TribeHokie wrote: »
    Are you full after eating? Because the volume of your meals doesn't look like much. Perhaps just more of the same until you hit your calories.

Most of the time I am. I do get shaky at the end of the workday sometimes.
  • Balaru
    Options

Macro percentages can be "right" at any calorie amount - whatever you eat will be made up of a certain % of carbs, fat and protein, and will always equal 100%.

If you're macros are right in grams, but your calories are really off (not just a little but that rounding may account for), you're using entries with incorrect or incomplete information.

(personally, I would work on increasing protein - your intake is generally very low)

Not sure. I am just going by what's on the MFP food diary. I am a newbie. Thanks for the tip on the protein. I'll look into that.
  • Balaru
    Options
    What does your exercise routine look like? ~600 calories per day might be high depending on what it is.

Right now it's been walking about 3.5 mph either treadmill or outside for 45 _ an hour and yoga.
    Working back up to my regular routine.

When I am on point my routine is 30 minute yoga DVD and 1 hour treadmill before work, 30 minute walk break at work at work, another hour on the treadmill after work and 30 minute PM Yoga DVD.
  • FlyingMolly
    FlyingMolly Posts: 490 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    The easiest way to add calories is always to add fat, because it's the most calorically-dense macronutrient. Eat an avocado, a handful of nuts, cook your food in oil--a little here and there adds up.

But if you're happy with your macros and want to keep them the way they are, then keep on eating exactly what you've been eating--just eat more of it. Two blackbean burgers, a bigger salad, more rice, another crepe, an extra orange. Put more of whatever it is you've eaten on your plate--problem solved! :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Balaru wrote: »

Not sure. I am just going by what's on the MFP food diary. I am a newbie. Thanks for the tip on the protein. I'll look into that.

You said your macros are looking good - are you looking at the piechart, showing percentages? This could "look good" if you were eating 100cals or 10,000 cals...

If you're just starting out, taking time to get used to logging with a focus just on calories might be beneficial. Check out all your entries, make sure the info matches the nutritional info on a package, or cross reference with another website for things like vegies and fruit. Get used to weighing everything. Once you've got that, then start looking at your macros, tweak food choices and portion sizes to focus on things that may be beneficial (higher protein, sufficient fat, whatever helps you feel full and satisfied etc)
  • Balaru
    Options
    Thanks everybody.