Is it just genetics?

Options
amanda_deanda01
amanda_deanda01 Posts: 43 Member
edited February 2018 in Health and Weight Loss
ixd5wqvi5upa.jpg
Okay so, I've lost weight, went from 152 to about 125-127 at 5'1. I tracked macros, and it worked but I let it control my life and give me a bad relationship with food and now I'm finally intuitive eating and working on the whole food relationship thing. I'm currently training for a half marathon and I'm really excited for that, and all the extra carbs I'm eating to fuel my body for long runs! However, I have those bad days just like everyone and I can't lie and say I truly love my body/shape....I want the small waist and big hips and that's just not what I got. I feel like my rib cage is big and bulky and I carry a lot of my fat on my lower back...not sure if this is just genetically how I am and if my height has anything to do with it, but I guess I'm just looking for some input on if I can get the top half (above my belly button) to look smaller and mainly how to work with what I've got. I don't think I look horrible, but I guess we are our worst critics so I want to see what others have to say.....oh and I drew on some workout gear because apparently you can be in a bikini or sports bra and shorts but not underwear and a bra???

Replies

• amanda_deanda01
    edited February 2018
    Options

Are you strength training? I was unhappy with my shape until I started seeing results from that

At 5'1" and 127 if you wanted there is some more wiggle room in terms of dropping more fat.

Yes, I train full body 2x a week and a little on my 1x cross training day. I know I can drop some more fat but I'm not looking for abs or anything right now plus I have to seriously drop my calories to lost fat and that's not the best idea when running long distances
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    I'd say work in a moderate deficit. I'm training for an ultra while slowly losing weight, it's not undoable as long as it's gradual.
  • amanda_deanda01
    Options
    I'd say work in a moderate deficit. I'm training for an ultra while slowly losing weight, it's not undoable as long as it's gradual.

Yeah, idk I guess tracking macros again is the answer but that's just not healthy to me to go back to, for me it leads to obsessing and choosing lower calorie foods over real Whole Foods but I guess you can't beat the science of it
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    First of all, you look great and I think your mind might still be catching up to the new you.

If you want further improvement, start working on muscles (lifting) and core (planks/push-ups/etc). You said you have been strength training but how hard? You want to lift very heavy and lift to your limit during each set.

I see so many females (and some males) at the gym using 5-10 pounds weights. That's just taking the easy way out so you can feel good about "lifting". Unless you are pushing yourself and causing micro tears in your muscles, you probably won't see great results. Proper lifting means you feel a burn throughout the targeted muscles for hours (in some cases days) after the exercise. Building muscle is much harder than losing fat, and much more uncomfortable in my opinion.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,437 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say that you don't have a bulky ribcage, but just a normal one. And your legs look fantastic! I wish I had your bodyshape. Unfortunately, I have a very wide pelvis, really wide ribs and shoulders and all my padding on my thighs, and if I try to lose too much weight there's a sharp edge between the top of my pelvis and my waist. Dooesn't look good at all.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    First of all, I think you look fantastic and this means all of you from the pic. I see absoltuely nothing but a stunning body that I am sure many others would love to be where you are currently. Secondly, it takes a really long time, as in years to reach aesthetic body goals you desire. Thirdly, concentrate on one goal at a time, work on body composition or train for your running goals. Fourth, we cannot change our genetics.

I strength train and also run. I just finished a 'bulk' and now am training for a half marathon. I can't work on both goals at the same time. And while having dual goals are more than fine, just remember building muscle is very hard for us females in general. Concentrate on training for your endurance goals and then working on body composition separately. Each of these takes a different set of focus, discipline and nutritional needs.

Embrace you and your body everyday. This is a key component, putting yourself under a microscope may have you keep finding flaws and always be trying to fix them. You are young, you have time and if you keep working hard on it and have patience with the process you reach your desired goals.