Always hungryyy! Help!

Options
So basically as the title says, i feel like im always f**king hungry! I assumed i’d be a little hungry when i started this cause of me consuming substanitally less and having to get used to it but this is just craziness! I woke up and had an apple and a bottle of water and within minutes (seriously minutes) my stomach was growling like crazy. Now i just had a banana and my stomach is growling again almost immediately. It even happens after my meals as well which is odd, i get hungry within the hour. Its hard to stay under calories when youre so damn hungry. Im 5 foot 11 and eating 1800 as the goal. I workout (as of now) about two or three times a week. Is this normal to still be hungry all the time a month into this?!

Replies

• jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    What are your full stats?

I find I’m much less hungry when my protein is up and I eat a larger breakfast with protein and fat (I usually eat two fried eggs on Joseph pita with Laughing Cow cheese).
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    A banana and apple wouldn't be very filling for me either.
    You might need to experiment with food/macro combinations.

Another thing is how big is your calorie deficit and how much do you have to lose?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You're not supposed to stay under your calories, but to hit your target. What have you set your weightloss rate to? Maybe you don't have enough fat on you to sustain whatever deficit 1800 calories creates. What's your current weight, and how much have you lost in this month? Only fruit isn't really a good choice for nutrition/satiety, pair it with fat and protein and maybe more fiber - nuts, cheese, hummus, vegetables etc.
  • chrissywelsh10
    chrissywelsh10 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    It can be normal to be hungry in the beginning while you adjust to the lower calories. But not long term and not all the time.

Really try to focus on the foods which make you feel full, either protein, fats or carbs. Usually there’s one which will work for you & you need to plan to incorporate more into your diet. Also try & drink more water - it really helps.

It can also depend what you eat. Lower calorie foods in bulk should make you feel fuller. Where small amounts of high calorie foods may not.

If that fails you may need to see a nutritionist, to examine your diet.

Try experimenting every meal with what works for you. Also make sure your tracking right, weigh everything so you don’t over or under estimate.

Relax & remember you gotta pick your hard, it’s hard to loose weight & it’s hard to be over weight. Which hard would you like?
  • ShaeSweetness
    ShaeSweetness Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Okay so more details for yall. Im 25 years old. 5 foot 11. Athletic build but gained a few extra pounds over this year my activity slowed. I started 25 days ago at 208 and am now 197. So total ive lost 11lbs in about a month. I eat usually around 1600 but these days ive been extra hungry so im hitting just about 1800 or close to it. I start work at 5am though so my day is pretty much 4am-10pm or so. Its alot of time to try and stay under calories so i usually start the day with fruit and then i have a little break from work around 11am so ill make an egg with some turkey which fills me a bit but then by 1 or so im already hungry for my lunch and so on
  • ShaeSweetness
    Options

Another thing is how big is your calorie deficit and how much do you have to lose?

My goal is 185 and im at 197 now. I think for me maintainence is about 2200 so im eating 1800 or less some days. I started at 208 in mid January and am now 197
  • shadow2soul
    edited February 2018
    Options

My goal is 185 and im at 197 now. I think for me maintainence is about 2200 so im eating 1800 or less some days. I started at 208 in mid January and am now 197

That means on avg you have a really high deficit. If it's been 25 days your deficit is about 1540 a day. That means your maintenance isn't 2200, but about 3000-3300 a day. This is based on your loss and what you report your intake to be.

If you maintained at 2200, you wouldn't have lost 11 lbs already with your current intake.

You are hungry because your deficit is so large. The max deficit recommended by the National Institute of Health is 1000 calories a day.

BMR is roughly 1729 a day. That's the calories your body burns BEFORE daily activity. Daily activity and exercise just add to that.
  • ShaeSweetness
    Options

That means on avg you have a really high deficit. If it's been 25 days your deficit is about 1540 a day. That means your maintenance isn't 2200, but about 3000-3300 a day. This is based on your loss and what you report your intake to be.

If you maintained at 2200, you wouldn't have lost 11 lbs already with your current intake.

You are hungry because your deficit is so large. The max deficit recommended by the National Institute of Health is 1000 calories a day.

Wait im sorry but im a bit confused. How am i deficiting at 1500 a day?? I thought that was my weekly deficit. Break it down in slow people terms for me haha cause everytime i do my calorie calculators and such theyre all around 2100/2200 for maintainence so at 1800 that should be a 2000 or so deficit a week. I thought i was losing weight kinda quickly because before this i was probably wayyyy over eating at prob about 3000 a day or so
  • shadow2soul
    edited February 2018
    Options
    1lb = approx 3500 calories

11 * 3500 = 38,500 calories under maintenance
    38,500/25 = 1,540 calories under maintenance a day on average

Calculators are just estimates. You can figure a better idea based on loss and how much you have been eating. I often get 2000-2200 to maintain from calculators, but based on my loss and intake I actually maintain closer to 2500.

Even if we go with 3 lbs being water weight:
    8*3500=28,000 calories under maintenance
    28,000/25 = 1,120 calories under maintenance a day on average

Add that to eating around 1600-1800 and you maintain around 2720-2920.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    As described above, she's basing that on you actual rate of loss, not what the calculators say. Rate of loss over an extended period of time (weeks, at least) is a better indicator of what is actually happening than a generic calculator.
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I would keep in mind that some of the initial loss would have been water weight or less waste in her system.

I’d play around with eating more fat, fiber, and protein. Personally I’d also be hungry after an apple or banana too, but if I added a hard-boiled egg, cottage cheese, or string cheese that would help.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    You are losing more than 2 pounds a week but you don't have that much weight to lose. Set your goal to lose one pound a week. Eat back some of your exercise calories. Eat more protein, to see if that fills you up better than carbs. Experiment with your food to see which foods fill you long term and which don't.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Stomachs don't "growl" with hunger. They "growl" with stuff inside them which is moving around. It's digestion and peristalsis at work.
  • ShaeSweetness
    Options
    Stomachs don't "growl" with hunger. They "growl" with stuff inside them which is moving around. It's digestion and peristalsis at work.

Slightly irrelevant to my post buttttt alrighty then lol
  • onward1
    onward1 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    What kinds of food are you eating? Some foods are more satiating then others, meaning you'll feel full longer. I find proteins and fats, like peanut butter, avocados and nuts keep me satisfied, as opposed to fruits and breads. Good luck.
  • ctejed12
    ctejed12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    HI Shae,
    it appears your not eating enough. Usually if i feel hungry, its because i need more protein or a bit dehydrated. I would advise from my personal experience to figure your TDEE ( Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and get your macros count. Create a daily calorie deficit of 500 calories. Happy meal prep Sunday!