Ladies - how many calories do you eat a day?

Options
Just wondering how many calories other women eat a day?

My main goal at the moment is to get fitter and stronger and I'm doing this through a programme (Kayla Itsines BBG) and by lifting heavy weights at the gym. I'd never say to to losing a few pounds but this isn't my main goal because I'm a healthy weight. I find that eating 1,400 calories a day makes me lose about 2 pounds a month. (Not sure if this is so low because I don't have much to lose, maybe I'm not eating enough or mainly I suspect because the scale doesn't give an accurate representation of progress).

The last 6 weeks or so I am SO hungry all the time. I workout about 5 times a week so clearly need to up my calories but don't want to end up increasing them so much I end up putting on weight. Any recommendations on what would be a good daily calorie intake for me?

Thank you!

Replies

• mortuseon_
    mortuseon_ Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?
  • moniqueholtman237
    moniqueholtman237 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Just wondering how many calories other women eat a day?

My main goal at the moment is to get fitter and stronger and I'm doing this through a programme (Kayla Itsines BBG) and by lifting heavy weights at the gym. I'd never say to to losing a few pounds but this isn't my main goal because I'm a healthy weight. I find that eating 1,400 calories a day makes me lose about 2 pounds a month. (Not sure if this is so low because I don't have much to lose, maybe I'm not eating enough or mainly I suspect because the scale doesn't give an accurate representation of progress).

The last 6 weeks or so I am SO hungry all the time. I workout about 5 times a week so clearly need to up my calories but don't want to end up increasing them so much I end up putting on weight. Any recommendations on what would be a good daily calorie intake for me?

Thank you!

I probably should have given my age/height/weight so I'm 34, I'm 5 foot 4 and I weigh 132 pounds (60 kilos)

• moniqueholtman237
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    Points of reference, cos comparing what other women eat depends on their age, weight, height, level of activity, goal weight, etc...

I am 43, 5 foot 5, weigh 174 lbs, I am not sat behind a desk at work, so fairly active normally...I have just finished a 3 month bulk...I lift heavy weights three times a week....to lose a pound per week I am eating an average of 2200 cals per day. I am trialling the 1600 cals rest days and 2710 cals training days, but I am still feeling hungry (only cos I am used to eating 3000 cals per day for the last 12 weeks!) I work on TDEE method, not the MFP method, so I do not plug in my exercise anymore. My goal is 140lbs...

If you exercise and use the MFP model, you need to eat back your exercise calories, which are listed after you log it, as the ladies above mentioned.

If you're losing weight eating 2,200 calories a day on exercise days that makes me think I definitely should be increasing my calories. Something I'm more than happy to do :-)
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    i avg 2600 cal a day and maintaining at 155lbs

Yep, my maintenance cals are aound 2600 at my current weight...

OP what is your goal weight? If you have a little to lose you are losing at the right rate, half pound per week...sounds just right. Although you can probably eat a little more on exercise days than 1400...how active are you normally?
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I eat about 2500-3000 (sometimes more or less) and am 5'7.5" 148lb. I lift 5-6 days a week. Not trying to lose or gain weight just be healthy, strong, look and feel good.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I maintain on about 1800 calories. Lately I've been eating 1200 a few days of the week, so I can have some super high days. I'm 5'4", 147, lift 5x per week, no cardio and lightly active.

1400 is my sweet spot for weight loss as well. If I log very carefully, I'll lose very slowly but it will come off.
  • moniqueholtman237
    Options
    nexangelus wrote: »
    i avg 2600 cal a day and maintaining at 155lbs

Yep, my maintenance cals are aound 2600 at my current weight...

OP what is your goal weight? If you have a little to lose you are losing at the right rate, half pound per week...sounds just right. Although you can probably eat a little more on exercise days than 1400...how active are you normally?

I would like to get down to 9 stone so 126 pounds. I go to the gym at least 5 times a week but on my rest days I don't move a lot because I work from home. On those days I will try to walk into town or something but that's only about a half hour walk!
  • moniqueholtman237
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I maintain on about 1800 calories. Lately I've been eating 1200 a few days of the week, so I can have some super high days. I'm 5'4", 147, lift 5x per week, no cardio and lightly active.

1400 is my sweet spot for weight loss as well. If I log very carefully, I'll lose very slowly but it will come off.

Sounds just like me. I feel like I have to eat much less than other people to lose even just half a pound a week. Which is what made me wonder if maybe I'm not eating enough so my body stores what I do eat!
  • CaliMomTeach
    CaliMomTeach Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    1200 plus I eat back exercise calories for elliptical and Body Pump class (whatever MFP database says for calories). I am 5'6, 47 year old female and weigh 142.1 this morning. I will up to 1500 when I get under 140 pounds. I will continue to eat back exercise calories and see what happens. The exercise calories vary from about 300 to 600 depending on the day, so I am eating 1500 to 1800 calories (when I am good about logging).
  • bbell1985
    Options

Sounds just like me. I feel like I have to eat much less than other people to lose even just half a pound a week. Which is what made me wonder if maybe I'm not eating enough so my body stores what I do eat!

No, bodies don't work that way. If you are eating very little, you will lose weight. Not store fat.

We are at healthy weights. I assume you are relatively lean as well. It is slow going. I sometimes feel sad when I compare myself to other women with similar stats who can eat so much more.

Also, may I ask...you say you have been hungry on workout days as of late. Like for weeks now or a couple days this week? I have felt this way this week too, but I'm close to my period. Just wondering if it could be that.
  • moniqueholtman237
    Options
    mortuseon_ wrote: »
    mortuseon_ wrote: »
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?

No I don't, I try to keep my calories similar regardless of whether I exercise or not!

I think that you should set your activity level at whatever you usually do re: your job, walking around etc., then log the exercise. Eat those calories back, up until you are at your correct number of net calories (MFP is set up to do that). To lose, you should be eating x net calories, not x totalcalories. You're probably feeling very hungry because your net intake is much lower than it needs to be!

I hope that makes sense? So if you eat 1400 and burn 300 on the same day, eat that 300 back (a total of 1700) because your net calories are still at 1400 when you do that, and you will absolutely still lose weight. If you didn't eat that 300 back, your net would be at 1100, which is really low!

Yes that's very helpful thank you! I will start eating back my exercise calories. If it was a week or so I was super hungry I'd put it down to hormones or something but my body obviously needs more calories so eating back what I burnt off seems like a logical place to start!
  • moniqueholtman237
    Options

No, bodies don't work that way. If you are eating very little, you will lose weight. Not store fat.

We are at healthy weights. I assume you are relatively lean as well. It is slow going. I sometimes feel sad when I compare myself to other women with similar stats who can eat so much more.

Also, may I ask...you say you have been hungry on workout days as of late. Like for weeks now or a couple days this week? I have felt this way this week too, but I'm close to my period. Just wondering if it could be that.

Yeah I am pretty lean so I think I'm just at the point where it's those last few stubborn couple of pounds. The hunger has been going on for about 6 weeks now (when I started the Kayla Itsines guide) so I think its the new routine causing the hunger rather than a hormonal thing. I am the same close to my period though, literally just want to eat everything in sight about a week before!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options

This doesn't even make logical sense. How could your body possibly store your food while simultaneously using it to fuel your body?
  • bbell1985
    Options

Yeah I am pretty lean so I think I'm just at the point where it's those last few stubborn couple of pounds. The hunger has been going on for about 6 weeks now (when I started the Kayla Itsines guide) so I think its the new routine causing the hunger rather than a hormonal thing. I am the same close to my period though, literally just want to eat everything in sight about a week before!

Yeah, try upping your cals to make up for the calorie burn on workout day. Kayla's program is really cardio. I don't eat back my lifting calories but it is a different kind of workout.