DRY FEBRUARY! Lose Weight-- Feel Great!

Options

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    @JulieAL1969 If you don't want to drink, look for deeper meaning of St Patrick's day and deeper purpose of the party.

@lyddiebugster: Wow! Tell us more!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    It is Friday once again and we are close to 1/3rd done with the month. Friday is always a challenge, but I'm getting pretty used to the dry lifestyle. Looking forward to a relaxing weekend with also some great outdoor fun!
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,193 Member
    Options
    Just celebrated 40 days dry. Really feeling good! No regrets stopping alcohol at all. Sometimes, I look at others and lament how I miss the buzz of the first drink or two. However, I sure don't miss the binging or headaches! Best wishes for continued success!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    My goodness, this Friday was a breeze! We celebrated the week with sundaes. (Mine was a Greek yogurt sundae, still incredibly good.)

Wishing good strength and resolve to everyone. If I can do it, anyone can.
  • karengineer
    karengineer Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I hit my initial goal of 4 weeks dry on Thursday! :)

Since Ash Wednesday falls on Valentine's Day this year and I will be fasting that day, I decided to make a special early Valentine's dinner for the family last night. I put out all sorts of sashimi grade fish, condiments, rice and veggies. Everyone got to prepare their own sushi / chirashi. I warmed a bottle of sake to share for the special occasion and celebrated my successful 4 weeks dry with ONE (stanard drink) serving of sake. It took a bit of discipline to stick to one but I did it.

I'm back on the wagon again today and plan to stay dry for nearly all of Lent. There are a couple more special occasions between now and Easter when I plan to have a single drink.

My long term goal is to permanently quit my previous habit of a nightly drink while still enjoying a social drink every now and then. Thanks for all the support in this group to help get me there.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    Well, @karengineer, isn't that great? Congratulations on your dry month!

My wife and I did sushi (restaurant) and a movie last night. We stayed dry, but it's all good! Lent is a great tradition. I may observe it this year as well.
  • mbmom413
    mbmom413 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Can I start late ?
  • lisatraver67
    lisatraver67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, wish I felt ready to do this. Winter in NY is depressing enough, maybe I'll shoot for a dry April or May.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    mbmom413 wrote: »
    Can I start late ?

Of course you can! And you really aren't "late." This is your rodeo, let us know what you are going to do!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    Hmmm, wish I felt ready to do this. Winter in NY is depressing enough, maybe I'll shoot for a dry April or May.

Well, alcohol really is an overall depressant except for the short time right after you first drink some. If you have been drinking regularly lately, you might try a short dry spell (a few days, a week, whatever) and see how it feels.

Also, feel the love on this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10638088/less-alcohol-february-2018-one-day-at-a-time
  • lisatraver67
    lisatraver67 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know it's a depressant. Unfortunately, ending my day with it (when I'm not working) has become a habit. At least in the spring I'll be able to get outside and occupy myself in the evening. There is nothing that I enjoy doing in the winter that will keep me involved enough to not want a glass of wine.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    Hello all my friends! We are half way through the Dry February challenge!

edantff1ngnd.png

And it's Valentine's day! You can eat a few sweets with your sweetie! All with a clear head!

Congratulations to all who have made it this far and I wish you all the strongest resolve for the final two dry weeks of the challenge! We got this!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    Hi All,

This is turning into my private thread, although I see a couple of likes on my last post, so I'll just pretend people are still reading. :)

We are headed into a 3-day President's weekend, which I will spend completely dry. Interestingly enough, our country was founded by people who apparently believed in the health benefits of alcohol (beer in particular). Perhaps it was such an scarce and expensive commodity that they rarely drank too much. (It is clearly true that food was relatively expensive and scarce, so people were faced with the problem of malnutrition far more often than obesity.) Many of us now suffer from the problems of abundance-- food is historically cheap and alcohol, although highly taxed, is fairly cheap as well. So, we have to learn to limit ourselves for other reasons.

In any case. I wish everyone excellent resolve, excellent weekends, and, generally, excellence. B)
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    I'll be dry too and loving it ! I
    Find it's easier for me to just stay dry than negotiate with myself. This weekend, one of my goals is to go to a tea place and drink and buy some new tea. I guess I got used to a new Drinking habit
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    @JulieAL1969: I love tea and "tisanes" (aka, herbal teas-- I think it is a funny word) as well. So many to try! Hope you find a great tea place.

(I order my standard (caffeine) teas from UptonTea.com. David's tea is has a wide variety of flavored caffeine and caffeine-free teas that I have enjoyed. I haven't been as much a patron of teavana.)
  • RubyRed427
    edited February 2018
    Options
    @JulieAL1969: I love tea and "tisanes" (aka, herbal teas-- I think it is a funny word) as well. So many to try! Hope you find a great tea place.

(I order my standard (caffeine) teas from UptonTea.com. David's tea is has a wide variety of flavored caffeine and caffeine-free teas that I have enjoyed. I haven't been as much a patron of teavana.)

Teavana is so pricey and Starbucks bought it. Thanks for the website for upton tea and Davids tea. I'll check them out:)
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    Here I am, back on my lonely little thread. Telling anyone who will listen that we are just about done with week 3 of this challenge. For those who have been able to get this far, I say: Yay! One week to go!

Wishing strength and resolve to anyone still with me! How dry we are!
  • Skyweigh
    Skyweigh Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Still dry after Karaoke bar with friends - --- 51 days down and dry!
  • RubyRed427
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Here I am, back on my lonely little thread. Telling anyone who will listen that we are just about done with week 3 of this challenge. For those who have been able to get this far, I say: Yay! One week to go!

Wishing strength and resolve to anyone still with me! How dry we are!

We are dry! I wake up every morning like I won a prize- no more headaches, sluggishness, fatigue, nausea. I'm with here with you! Month almost over and I will mark down two months AF! Xo
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Options
    Wow. Wednesday is the last day of the month. Who's still with me?