What does your breakfast consist of?

I have been doing some research and came to the conclusion that every morning I will be having a cup of coffee (sorry but not black), oatmeal (tastes horrible but they say it’s one of the best), and 2 hard boiled eggs (with or without yolk?) Just wanted to maybe get some other options from you guys and hear what y’all make for your breakfast. As they say it’s the most important meal so I really want to focus on getting all the “goodies” in just in case the rest of my day doesn’t go as planned!

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,817 Member
    When I get to work, I have a cup of black coffee and a tall glass of cold water.
  • I usually try to have two fruits a main dish and a small side for about 320-370ish calories. For example, tomorrow I'm having a blood orange, strawberries, 2 healthy pancakes (with margarine and sugar free syrup), and 1/4 of a cup of egg beaters. This measures in at about 363 calories Hope this helps!
  • h1udd
    h1udd Posts: 623 Member
    generally during the week I dont eat a "traditional" breakfast, I'll wait until lunch or dinner ... and what ever it is it will come with protein

at the weekend I eat with my family .. I normally opt for greek yogurt and fruit with a Latte

This however is my deficit breakfasts .... when I move back to maintenance or a small surplice, then I'll supplement with a Pain au Raisin if I crave sweet or chicken, eggs, chilli etc if I crave savory

All that said ..... I agree totally with Anvilhead .... he speaketh the truth
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    It varies day to day, some examples:
    Yogurt w/ granola
    Steel cut oats w/ butter and brown sugar
    Eggs, bacon (scrambled, fried, poached, omelet, etc. Doesn't matter)
    Leftovers
    Protein, cheese, pickles.

Sometimes I just fast till lunch or dinner. But every morning always starts with green tea!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    This sounds dreadful! Noboby cares what you put in your coffee or how you eat your eggs (but your body keeps track). THEY will say just about anything, what YOU like is what's important, and that's the definition of "goodies". A healthy diet is balanced and varied, not limited to certain specific but random foods. You can plan your day to some extent, after a while you learn what you can and can't plan for.

To your question: Today my breakfast will be two rye crispbread, one with cheese, the other with prim, 100 grams of whole milk, a Granny Smith apple, and 80 grams of raw broccoli. Tomorrow it will be a little different, probably some porridge with butter, same veg, but another fruit.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited February 2018
    I pretty much have the same breakfast every morning, porridge with banana, berries, honey, chia seeds and soya milk. I like to make sure I get my carbs, protein, healthy fats and fruit in every meal and this covers it all. I never get bored of it either, but I'm a creature of habit.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    What is "good" about oats and eggs that you couldn't get from something else?

If I ate that every day (or any day), I'd be sad - life is way too short to eat things you don't like. I save my calories for later in the day and get plenty of "goodies" in then. Whatever they are?
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,956 Member
    edited February 2018
    That sounds so depressing. You don't need to punish yourself to lose weight.

I don't like breakfast, so i eat around 2. If i do eat early in the day, it's rarely "breakfast food". There's no law you have to eat so called breakfast food at all.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Breakfast is whatever you eat. Doesn't have to be specific "breakfast foods".

Breakfast isn't necessarily "the most important meal of the day". Meal timing is irrelevant, calories are what you track for weight management.

No need to label foods good or bad. Losing weight doesn't have to be miserable. Just eat less of what you normally do. Food scale for accuracy. Good luck dude.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    2 HB eggs and 100 g of cold boiled potatoes with skin and salt / pepper... It's pretty filling and doesn't spike my blood sugar b/c the cold potato is a resistant starch.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    edited February 2018
    Why eat things you don't like? Eat things you do like.

For me I have several breakfast choices: spinach/cheese omelette / poached eggs on wholewheat toast/ ciabatta toasted topped with sauteed mushrooms/wilted spinach/ cheese / scrambled eggs on toast / porridge with banana honey. I look forward to my delicious made in minutes breakfasts every single day :smile:
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    I usually don't eat breakfast anymore. I was once like you and thought breakfast was "important"; but eating those calories later in the day works a lot better for me. Because my calories are, let's say - restricted - I am really careful to choose all the foods I love - fruits, nuts, veggies, legumes, etc - I choose all the things I love and I really enjoy what I am eating. Eg I love strawberries and avocados so I might have that one morning / lunch.

What anvil said is correct. And there is no "good" or "bad" food. You have X amount of calories. Once you have your nutrients for the day - vitamins/minerals - it doesn't matter what you're eating. Re-think your approach. Stop thinking "diet" start thinking more freely.

When I began I would log something before eating it - look at the nutrition and calories, and sometimes have to re-think. All I would recommend is avoid take-outs and cut down as much as possible on packaged foods and you'll be fine. If you are really hungry in the mornings - what would you like? Eat that. Even Bacon is not evil - just moderation. Measure it, log it. smart choices will come with time.

Good Luck.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    I don't eat until I get hungry which is typically mid - late morning, but I eat what I like.

Sometimes it's a homemade blueberry protein Belgian waffle, a protein smoothie or cinnamon-raisin steel cut oatmeal etc.

Yesterday I had pizza and today I'm making a veggie omelette with berries on the side.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Why would you not eat the yolks? What are you going to do with them afterwards?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    I can't do eggs or oatmeal anymore. Oatmeal tastes like cardboard unless I put 300 calories of stuff in it, and eggs (unless sunny side up and runny, and forget just egg whites) make me gag. Especially first thing in the morning.

Really, starting your day eating something that you don't like will not help you.

For me, it's black coffee, then when I get hungry (typically 1-2 hours after I get up), whatever I'm in the mood for - sometimes leftovers, sometimes a yogurt and a granola bar, sometimes just some fruit if I'm just a bit hungry. Sometimes a bagel with cream cheese.
  • kjurassic
    kjurassic Posts: 571 Member
    I eat French toast almost every day (under 300 calories) or scrambled eggs with mushrooms/veggies in a 50 calorie wrap. Occasionally oatmeal (but I love oatmeal! ).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    It's not the most important meal of the day for everyone. That was a marketing slogan by cereal companies.

I like breakfast, and if you like breakfast, eat it, definitely, but if you don't you don't have to.

My own goals for breakfast (like all meals) is to get in some protein and vegetables. I really enjoy oatmeal,
    but don't eat it as much as I otherwise would since it's not so good for those purposes. I might make savory oats and add an egg (sunnyside up) and some green veg, and that's delicious, or I add some protein powder or plain greek yogurt plus berries and nuts and just have some veg on the side.

For months I had a 2 egg vegetable omelet with a little feta cheese and either greek yogurt, cottage cheese,
    or smoked salmon on the side. That was good for my vegetables and protein goals (higher protein than any of my tasty oats concoctions unless I use protein powder).

Now I often have smoothies. Many find them not filling, so I can't totally recommend them, but they work for me and I like being lazy and also that I can sip on them while doing on my other morning things (well,
    other than working out if I do that in the morning). My usually smoothie involves avocado, a LOT of frozen greens (spinach, kale, or both, usually), some other vegetable (often pre roasted winter squash, but there are many options), homemade cashew milk (this includes cashews, if I don't have it I might toss in some nuts or seeds), protein powder, and some fruit (a serving or two), usually berries. Obviously the details get changed up a bunch.

I'd say eat something that fills you up and that you enjoy.
  • alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    I eat eggs just about every morning either a 4 egg white omelette with a slice of american cheese (sometimes i add chopped tomato) or 3 scrambled eggs 1 or 2 whole eggs and 1 or 2 whites. if i have veggie bacon i will have a couple slices. i currently have diabetes so have to add a serving or two of carbs to keep my blood sugar steady so i will have either a piece of toast with a little butter or peanut butter or some fruit or a tiny bowl of cereal with skim milk or sweetened yogurt. i don't really care for oatmeal much but i find i prefer steel cut oats (not the quick cooking kind) and they have to be made fresh and to keep down the calories you can only have a little bit. (i add a bit of sugar) breakfast always includes coffee with soy milk and one teaspoon of sugar. these breakfasts generally run me about 400 calories. i find i do better when i don't eat so much for breakfast, but you as a guy you probably could afford that many calories.

i used to eat mainly egg whites and tried to limit myself to 1 or 2 yolks a week but a nutritionist i saw said that eating egg yolks is no longer linked to high cholesterol and recommends eating 4-5 egg yolks a week.