New mum who can't lose weight

Options
lifa
lifa Posts: 25 Member
edited February 2018 in Motivation and Support
Hi I'm 17 weeks postpartum I feel like I'm on this journey to lose weight since forever.I am currently cutting carbs from my diet like bread, pasta etc .for 3 weeks now I've weighed in the same but last week I bought a new scales and gained 4.5 lbs I've uped my protein intake from lean meats and protein bar but I don't get why the weight won't shift.I am at my wits end nothing I do seems to get me any result at all.I feel like giving up but I just want to feel comfortable in my own skin again.please help I can't seem to get a break no matter what I do. Thanks

Replies

• notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Weight management comes down to calories, not carbs. Put your stats into mfp (be honest with your info) eat to that number. Food scale helps with accuracy.

You can also take body measurements to track progress. The scales will fluctuate due to high sodium meals, TOM etc... You can do this!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Are you tracking everything you eat on this app ? using a food scale?
    Losing weight happens when we consistently take in less calories than we burn. Plug in your stats here and start logging what you eat. It takes time but be patient and weight loss will happen.

All the best.
  • lifa
    Options
    Thanks notreallychrisI'm only on day 2 of counting my calories hopefully this works.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Keep on logging/counting calories then... it really is as simple as staying within your cals :smile:
  • lifa
    Options
    Keep on logging/counting calories then... it really is as simple as staying within your cals :smile:

I will keep going till I get where I wanna be thank u for ur help :-)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    As long as you've been cleared by your medical professional you can add in some exercise, whether a nice walk pushing the buggy or working out to a DVD while baby sleeps (or watches), then use those calories.

But don't cut out any food group unless advised to by a medical practitioner, just try to have a balanced diet and keep within your calorie limits (including your exercise/breastfeeding calories).
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? Don’t forget that burns around 300 cals a day so don’t go under your calorie allowance or you might start storing fat.

I’m still breastfeeding (she’s 21 months) - going to be such a shock when I lose those extra calories!!

You are right in saying don't go under your calorie allowance but not for that reason, you don't start storing fat from undereating, that is a diet myth (for a straightforward explanation of this https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/) .

However, if breastfeeding you should be bearing in mind that cutting too low can affect the nutrition you are passing onto your baby and can affect your milk supply.

OP 3 weeks isn't enough time to see if what you are doing is working. Cutting carbs is not necessary for weight loss either, calories is what matters and you have only been counting those for 2 days, eat normally, log your food accurately and stick to it for 4-6 weeks minimum before you convince yourself it's not working.

lfljfisg6br6.jpg
  • lifa
    Options
    Thank u.I will add in carbs as normal I don't think staying off it is doing me any good.
    mazdauk wrote: »
    As long as you've been cleared by your medical professional you can add in some exercise, whether a nice walk pushing the buggy or working out to a DVD while baby sleeps (or watches), then use those calories.

But don't cut out any food group unless advised to by a medical practitioner, just try to have a balanced diet and keep within your calorie limits (including your exercise/breastfeeding calories).

• lifa
    Options
    Are you breastfeeding? Don’t forget that burns around 300 cals a day so don’t go under your calorie allowance or you might start storing fat.

I’m still breastfeeding (she’s 21 months) - going to be such a shock when I lose those extra calories!!

You are right in saying don't go under your calorie allowance but not for that reason, you don't start storing fat from undereating, that is a diet myth (for a straightforward explanation of this https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/) .

However, if breastfeeding you should be bearing in mind that cutting too low can affect the nutrition you are passing onto your baby and can affect your milk supply.

OP 3 weeks isn't enough time to see if what you are doing is working. Cutting carbs is not necessary for weight loss either, calories is what matters and you have only been counting those for 2 days, eat normally, log your food accurately and stick to it for 4-6 weeks minimum before you convince yourself it's not working.

lfljfisg6br6.jpg

I've finished breastfeeding and have weened her off breast feeding before I started to diet as I didn't want it to effect my supply or her nutrition.I will continue with it and go by the calorie counter rather than just cutting carbs cause maybe my body thinks it is being starved because of this.I've been to the gym today and I gained extra calories am I suppose to use them up or continue with my normal daily allowance.thank u for ur help :-)
  • lifa
    Options

No I've finished breastfeeding as I will be returning to work soon.I found it a myth in that u lose weight breast feeding.That didn't happen to me as I wasn't really trying to diet while feeding.it may be hormonal as to the reason I cannot lose weight.I think I may be holding water.thank u for your help also I really appreciate it :-)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    lifa wrote: »

I've finished breastfeeding and have weened her off breast feeding before I started to diet as I didn't want it to effect my supply or her nutrition.I will continue with it and go by the calorie counter rather than just cutting carbs cause maybe my body thinks it is being starved because of this.I've been to the gym today and I gained extra calories am I suppose to use them up or continue with my normal daily allowance.thank u for ur help :-)

The way MFP is set up you are meant to eat back your exercise calories, HOWEVER, they can be overestimated depending on what method you are using to calculate them. Most people here advocate starting with eating 50% of them and then reviewing loss after 4-6 weeks and adjusting accordingly.

It's also not a myth with the breastfeeding, there are many people on the boards who have used the breastfeeding alone to create their deficit and lost weight doing so. If you weren't logging, you were probably just eating more than you thought you were and the hormones can make you retain more water and increase your appetite so that could also have come into play.
  • lisaepell
    lisaepell Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    When I had my daughter two and a half years ago, I struggled with losing weight in a way that I hadn't with my previous 2 kids. Turns out I had a post-partum thyroid dysfunction which cleared up on its own around 6 months pp. If you're logging accurately and having trouble losing the weight, see your OB or endocrinologist and get your labs checked.
  • lifa
    Options
    lifa wrote: »

The way MFP is set up you are meant to eat back your exercise calories, HOWEVER, they can be overestimated depending on what method you are using to calculate them. Most people here advocate starting with eating 50% of them and then reviewing loss after 4-6 weeks and adjusting accordingly.

It's also not a myth with the breastfeeding, there are many people on the boards who have used the breastfeeding alone to create their deficit and lost weight doing so. If you weren't logging, you were probably just eating more than you thought you were and the hormones can make you retain more water and increase your appetite so that could also have come into play.

Ya I think that's where I went wrong I didn't log in anything I ate and got carried away thinking I'd still lose weight anyways.I'm logging everything in now and avoiding picking at anything if I can't count it I don't eat it.hopefully it will work.I think I will eat half the calories from workout because like u said it cud over estimated.I'm sure if I shud go by the app or the timers on machines in the gym. :-)
  • lifa
    Options
    lisaepell wrote: »
    When I had my daughter two and a half years ago, I struggled with losing weight in a way that I hadn't with my previous 2 kids. Turns out I had a post-partum thyroid dysfunction which cleared up on its own around 6 months pp. If you're logging accurately and having trouble losing the weight, see your OB or endocrinologist and get your labs checked.

Thank u I will have to keep an eye on this.I had gestational diabetes when pregnant so I had bloods done after to make sure it was gone I'm due bk for results in a few days so I hope they can tell me then if there is or not.if not I will ask.I strongly believe there is something holding me bk and it isn't normal. :-)