Erythritol instead of sugar

Hello! I know that while losing weight it is recommended to keep it low with desserts, but what do you think about using erythritol or some other carb free sweetener for some rare occasions? I know that as long as it fits my calories, it's fine, but if I would like to have sth sweet, but at the same time keep my carbs low, would some substitute be a good idea? Or is the carb free sugar substitute even more unhealthy than sugar? Thank you in advance! Liis.

Replies

• sytchequeen
    sytchequeen Posts: 526 Member
    I use erythritol in cooking as a sugar substitute. Inulin is the only one I've come across that behaves like sugar though
  • Liisiil
    Liisiil Posts: 9 Member
    Thank you! So you say that inulin should be avoided, but erythritol is fine?
  • sytchequeen
    no, inulin crisps up and sets, like sugar. I've made alternative creme brulee with it! its fine but expensive, the erythritol is more financially viable for regular use.
  • sytchequeen
    from my Tom Kerridge low carb cook book

Carb count: 3g per person

Serves 6

750ml (1¼pt) double cream
    2 vanilla pods, split lengthways
    4 large free-range eggs
    20g (¾oz) erythritol
    6tbsp inulin to glaze
    Put the cream and vanilla pods into a heavy-based saucepan and bring just to the boil. Take the pan off the heat and leave to stand for 30 minutes. Bring the infused cream back up to a simmer.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, whisk the eggs and erythritol together to combine. Pour the hot vanilla cream over, whisking as you do so, then pour the vanilla custard back into the rinsed-out saucepan.

Cook the custard, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, over a medium-low heat until it thickens enough to lightly coat the back of the spoon; it should register 87°C on a cook’s thermometer, if you have one.

Pass the custard through a fine sieve into a bowl and leave to cool for 20 minutes. Once cooled, scrape into a blender and blitz for 20 seconds – this will give it a glossy finish.

Divide the mixture between 6 ramekins or similar heatproof serving dishes. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours, or overnight, to set. When you’re ready to serve, sprinkle the inulin on top of the set custards in an even layer.

Using a cook’s blowtorch, caramelise the inulin until it forms a deep, caramel crust (or place briefly under a preheated very hot grill). Leave for a minute or so to allow the glaze to set before serving.
  • Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    I use erythritol on occasion but I'm not a fan of the "cooling" aftertaste that comes with it. Is there any way to negate that?
  • gems74
    gems74 Posts: 107 Member
    Be careful with erythritol, too much at a time can cause some nasty side effects. If I need a sweetener, I’ve switched to pure maple syrup, a little goes a long way, it’s delicious and minimally processed.
  • sytchequeen
    Ohwhynot wrote: »
    I use erythritol on occasion but I'm not a fan of the "cooling" aftertaste that comes with it. Is there any way to negate that?

What are you using it in? I don’t use sweetener in anything other than baking/cooking, so never noticed an aftertaste. I certainly don’tt sweeten any drinks. Also I don’t use a lot, my “sweets” are probably less sweet than most recipes using sugar (my preference)
  • sytchequeen
    gems74 wrote: »
    Be careful with erythritol, too much at a time can cause some nasty side effects. If I need a sweetener, I’ve switched to pure maple syrup, a little goes a long way, it’s delicious and minimally processed.

I believe it can have laxative effects if you take a lot. I think it’s a warning label I’ve noticed on some sugar free candies.