So tired of the underhanded jabs.

Options
2»

Replies

• ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Yeah, people suck! ;)

Do it for you, but if you can use some of that anger to help motivate you then go for it. When you get to your super fit self, just flaunt it at them and make THEM frustrated!

Anger and vengeance are never the path to a happy life whether you lose weight or not.
  • tyoung526
    tyoung526 Posts: 7 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    There will always be critics. Several people I work with have been rolling their eyes and making rude comments because I have worked hard to lose weight and be healthy and they are struggling. You can't please every one!!!!

My weight has yo-yo'd most of my adult life. Maintaining a healthy life style is not easy. Just pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and start again. Tune out the nay sayers and the critics and do your thing...You've got this!!!!

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    Learn to stab back with a velvet glove, not an iron knife!
  • StevefromMichigan
    StevefromMichigan Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    BissiH wrote: »
    I've heard for the last time 'You used to be so fit.' I'm committed to changing my lifestyle and leading a healthy life. For my sake, and my son's.
    Finally admitting that I've put on 70 pounds in the last 4 years was hard. I've been lucky enough to form a support group with my work family. Would love to have support here as well.
    I'm super excited about this journey!

Sounds like you are committed, and ready to get to work! Best of luck to you.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Learn to stab back with a velvet glove, not an iron knife!

Love this....its mine now!
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I've struggled with my weight for the last 25 years, my parents and inlaws being my most vocal critics. Never understood why the people who are supposed to love you most are the most cruel.

Anyway...I do my best, and have come to realize that what they have to say is irrelevant, and I've since told them that if they can't be supportive, then to keep their traps shut and keep the snide remarks to themselves.

My husband is my biggest supporter, my kids, being a close second. They are who keep me grounded when I'm having that bad day.

OP, I'm glad your work family are there for you! Support makes things so much easier!

Have a wonderful day :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    a quote I always keep in the back of my mind - no one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

I ignore people who are dicks because I won't let htem influence how I feel about myself and it has helped in the past
  • BissiH
    BissiH Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    use their comments as motivation to prove them wrong

Absolutely!
  • BissiH
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I've struggled with my weight for the last 25 years, my parents and inlaws being my most vocal critics. Never understood why the people who are supposed to love you most are the most cruel.

Anyway...I do my best, and have come to realize that what they have to say is irrelevant, and I've since told them that if they can't be supportive, then to keep their traps shut and keep the snide remarks to themselves.

My husband is my biggest supporter, my kids, being a close second. They are who keep me grounded when I'm having that bad day.

OP, I'm glad your work family are there for you! Support makes things so much easier!

Have a wonderful day :)

They think they're being constructive and honest but people need to learn that unsolicited advice or criticism is more hurtful than helpful. If your opinion is asked, then yes, please be honest. Otherwise like you said, keep your traps shut!

Here's to you! :)
  • BissiH
    Options

Anger and vengeance are never the path to a happy life whether you lose weight or not.

Ladyhusker39:
    I kindly disagree. I don't think he's telling me to take the path of anger and vengeance. He's telling me to take my anger (frustration) with the veiled insults I've received and use it to my advantage. Use that as motivation to reach my goals and have the last internal laugh. Let's face it, appearance can be altered, but if they're ugly on the inside, what can you do to change that?
    Nothing.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Yeah, people suck! ;)

Do it for you, but if you can use some of that anger to help motivate you then go for it. When you get to your super fit self, just flaunt it at them and make THEM frustrated!

As long as she is not overtly hurting anyone she has a right to take the path that gets her there. If people in the outer perimeters get pithy about it and were nasty originally.....not her problem!
    Sweet revenge is hers to have!
    Mommy lectures not necessary.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    People! So sorry! But you're making them part of that motivation! Here's to you and your son!
  • angiesfitadventure
    Options
    You’ve got this!! If you need an accountability friend, count me in! You can do it! Stay positive and keep a positive circle of people around you! Much success and happiness to you! :)
  • BissiH
    Options
    You’ve got this!! If you need an accountability friend, count me in! You can do it! Stay positive and keep a positive circle of people around you! Much success and happiness to you! :)

Thank you. I really appreciate that!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    People are awful.
  • jenngitch
    jenngitch Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    This! This is why I hate people lol not really but it feels good to say it ;) I also heard words similar to yours. Mine from my parents (mostly my dad whom is slim and fit @ 76 yrs old) but also from my mom who has been over weight my entire life until recently when she had heart surgery and the dr put her on a diet. I refuse to talk to them about my weight now. If they say "how much do you weigh now?" I just say something like I have no clue but you know what? I am getting healthy:) of course I know how much I weigh but it's not their business. Take all the negativity and make it into your positivity. MFP really help me because I could vent and have positive feedback. Just remember you are awesome and take one day at a time.
  • BissiH
    edited February 2018
    Options
    jenngitch wrote: »
    I know, sometimes it helps to raise my fists at people even though I'm not really angry, just frustrated. Life goes on though. As for people asking you about your weight...The number on the scale is private 100%. Thank you for your kind words, good luck to you!