Which is the best diet for overall health and weight loss?

Options
124»

Replies

• 1houndgal
    1houndgal Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    A diet that helps manage your weight and gets/keeps you healthy.
  • vczK2t
    vczK2t Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I do follow the Slimming World eating plan, but not exclusively. I listen to my body. If I want junk, I eat junk until my body says ENOUGH. If i want a HUGE bowl of fruit, i eat fruit. This is what makes sense for me. When I want to be active, I am. When I don't want to be active, I try to make myself do SOME moving. I don't do extreme ANYTHING, because I just don't want to.
  • Dee_D33
    Dee_D33 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If your goal is something else other than weight loss then you may need a specific diet, but as far as weight loss goes there is no “best” diet. Any diet that helps you to maintain a calorie deficit will work, no matter what food that diet consists of.

And no, eating fat does not make you fat.
  • geneticsteacher
    geneticsteacher Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    strive356 wrote: »
    The goverment healthy plate diet is good if you use sourdough bread or sprouted bread, and sprouted grains. The paleo diet is so high in good fats that it may not let you lose body fat. Is fat fat whether good or bad? I don't know. In terms of losing weight I mean. Low fat dairy and low fat diets may cause inflammation of the organs, causing acne and diseases. Because low fat products are all too processed. This is just my experience, what's yours?

Thinking aloud, I need to start the best diet that will eliminate all possible disease. i just went through the healing leaky gut elimination diet with dr. axe and i didn't finish it properly. Then i went to a nutritionist who has a healthy plate diet, low fat dairy, and lots of carbs. I can't figure out which one will help me mainly maintain healthy gut and still lose weight. I think it's the paleo diet.

1. Fat does not make you fat. Excess calories from any source make you fat.

2. Leaky gut is not a medical diagnosis. Increased intestinal permeability does present in certain autoimmune conditions. See a real doctor.

3. The Healthy Plate is a good place to start. Sourdough bread, sprouted bread, sprouted grains are not a necessity. Any whole grain source of carbohydrates will do, and many that do not need extra fiber do just fine with regular old white bread. If you are looking for the beneficial microbes found in fermented foods, they are not present after bread has been baked. Far better sources include yogurt, kimchi, sauerkraut, or pickles, if they have not been heat treated (canned).

4. Of the many blood samples I have looked at, none showed food particles. Food particles would have to be HUGE to be seen with a microscope. This is not a real thing.

5. As mentioned above, tests run by Genova Diagnostics are included in Quackwatch. "Most of the laboratories listed below cater to practitioners who engage in nonstandard practices. All of these labs perform one or more nonstandard tests. Most also perform various standard tests. When evaluating practitioners, we would regard routine use of any of these laboratories as an unfavorable sign."
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    there is no one size fits all answer.
    Most important, it must be an eating plan that is sustainable. Wiggle room for treats now and then.
    For my cholesterol and triglyceride numbers, low carb high fat is best. That dropped my triglycerides from over 300 down to 45.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    If guts were truly leaking, sepsis would get you within days. Bleeding ulcers, ditto. I know someone on the leaky gut protocol, self-diagnosed of course. They're using it mostly as a cover or mask for an eating disorder. Nothing has improved in over 4 years. Still leaking and squeaking as they walk down the street.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,201 Member
    Options
    fishgutzy wrote: »
    Most important, it must be an eating plan that is sustainable. Wiggle room for treats now and then.
    For my cholesterol and triglyceride numbers, low carb high fat is best. That dropped my triglycerides from over 300 down to 45.

And my triglycerides dropped from 402 to 73 just from weight loss (as far as I can tell). Certainly, I was and am eating reasonably balanced macros, neither low carb nor high fat.

As you observe, everyone is indeed different in the details.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

And my triglycerides dropped from 402 to 73 just from weight loss (as far as I can tell). Certainly, I was and am eating reasonably balanced macros, neither low carb nor high fat.

Similar story here. Didn't change diet at all. Just reduced body fat and improved fitness.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,201 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

[/quo

Similar story here. Didn't change diet at all. Just reduced body fat and improved fitness.

I didn't even improve fitness! ;) (I've been pretty active for a long time, including have been so for quite a while when my tris & chol remained very high.)

I did probably increase my daily veggie/fruit servings from something around the recommended 5 most days, to a currently pretty ridiculous level (10-15 much of the time). Could make a difference, dunno. It's the only change I can really pin down, other than weight loss and related lower intake.
  • SagePeach
    SagePeach Posts: 37 Member
    edited June 2018
    Options
    ck2307 wrote: »
    I think that a Whole Foods Plant-Based “diet” is one of the most effective because it lends itself to more sustainable habits. Portion sizes are often larger and more filling due to the lower calorie foods and higher fiber intake. It’s also zero cholesterol. It has worked well for me thus far. It’s easier for WFBP to become a lifestyle more than a diet. Mindset and ability to sustain are everything!

(If WFBP is difficult at first- start with a vegetarian or with a regular plant-based diet and ease into it. Let your body adjust.)

As others have said, there is no one size fits all. Diets can be a lot of trial and error. Best of luck!

I'm currently transitioning to a mostly WFPB woe, and while I'm really enjoying it I have found that I still need to be careful of portion sizes-beans, whole grains, seeds and nuts (pistachios, I'm looking at you :p ), are pretty easy to eat a lot of, and the calories in these things add up quickly. Fruit is another thing I have to be mindful of because of how many calories some of them have.

I've found that my calorie intake is the same, or slightly higher, than the more SAD woe I was previously eating. I'm making corrections now, (measuring out portion sizes on my food scale, limiting myself to one serving of nuts a day etc), to get my calorie intake back down again.