Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Food Stamps Restriction

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Chiming in here as a SNAP recipient. I work full time and have considtently been employed for my entire adult life the only lapse was while on bedrest during a high risk pregnancy and recovery time after delivery which makes sense. People can buy anything they want with their card as long as its edible. Honestly, it bothers me that the budget we get doesnt account for how we should be eating but that doesnt mean its impossible to work with. Dry beans and lentils are way cheaper than canned, shopping the weekly sales gives you more bang for your buck, you dont need to buy fancy boneless chicken breasts you can use bone in pieces and still have a delicious healthy meal. Furthermore, the NYC green market has a token incentive which plays off the aforementioned study. Customers on SNAP can purchase tokens with their card and receieve bonus tokens at certain amounts (ex - if i buy 10 dollars in tokens i get 13 to spend so my nice bunch of kale is totally free) also, i take advantage of my local freegan food share. This is something that isnt in all communities but if youre bold enough and your area isnt crazy dangerous going dumpster diving could be fun. I personally have never gone because the cost of hiring a babysitter makes it not worth it for me but everyones situation is different

It sounds like you're doing it the right way. I'd be all for increases for SNAP recipients in exchange for eliminating eligibility of junk food, premium products, etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    gigmaster wrote: »
    Really. You can make that decision for other people? I guess it's lucky we have you to make decisions for everyone.

While we're at it, coffee and tea also have no nutritional value. Why don't we just ban it for everyone. Would you feel good about that? BTW, we are all taxpayers, even people on EBT, many who are actually working at jobs still are liable to taxes, just like everyone else. A lot of disabled veterans and other people are also on EBT, and let's not forget the elderly people living on fixed incomes.

Personally, I have little use for sodas, but I would not prohibit them for others, if that's what they choose to spend their grocery money on. If I understand the system correctly, you get X amount of credit toward approved food item per month. If you blow it all on candy, chips, popcorn, etc..., well, that's your business. You will just be hungry for the rest of the month. I also think EBT should cover necessities like toilet paper, soap, toothpaste, deodorant, aspirin, etc... I don't know why it doesn't. These things are just as important to your health as eating is.

Just my opinion. I have a problem with people assuming the authority to make decisions for others, unless it's done through due process. I believe everyone has the right to go to Hell in their own hand-basket, if they choose to do so. You reap what you sow, most of the time.
    There's zero nutritional value in soda, so sure, as a taxpayer I am totally not into subsiding either the soda industry or the energy drink industry, they should both be banned.

There is a big difference in banning soda and not wanting your tax dollars to pay for it for others. It really strikes me as sad and weird that anyone would such a fuss over free soda. smh
  • spazztazztic
    spazztazztic Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    Chiming in here as a SNAP recipient. I work full time and have considtently been employed for my entire adult life the only lapse was while on bedrest during a high risk pregnancy and recovery time after delivery which makes sense. People can buy anything they want with their card as long as its edible. Honestly, it bothers me that the budget we get doesnt account for how we should be eating but that doesnt mean its impossible to work with. Dry beans and lentils are way cheaper than canned, shopping the weekly sales gives you more bang for your buck, you dont need to buy fancy boneless chicken breasts you can use bone in pieces and still have a delicious healthy meal. Furthermore, the NYC green market has a token incentive which plays off the aforementioned study. Customers on SNAP can purchase tokens with their card and receieve bonus tokens at certain amounts (ex - if i buy 10 dollars in tokens i get 13 to spend so my nice bunch of kale is totally free) also, i take advantage of my local freegan food share. This is something that isnt in all communities but if youre bold enough and your area isnt crazy dangerous going dumpster diving could be fun. I personally have never gone because the cost of hiring a babysitter makes it not worth it for me but everyones situation is different

It sounds like you're doing it the right way. I'd be all for increases for SNAP recipients in exchange for eliminating eligibility of junk food, premium products, etc.

Its a super slippery slope IMO. Who is deciding whats "junk" or a "premium product"? What about dietary needs such as allergies or celiac disease? If we are able to give extra allowances for them, why not kosher or halal (yes, the meat is more expensive) vegetarian and vegan are diets typically taken upon oneself by choice but whats to stop them from jumping on the bandwagon? If it was so easy to make it happen, it would have by now. I also believe it would be helpful if similar to how WIC has meetings with nutritionists we also had that for SNAP. Some people just dont know what to buy or how to prepare certain foods (or maybe any at all) and theyre intimidated. I scored 10 bags of riced broccoli at my local freegan food share because i was the only one who knew the potential it had - i know if anyone in the crowd knew what an amazing find that was i would have only gotten 1, maybe 2 of the bags i did.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Its a super slippery slope IMO. Who is deciding whats "junk" or a "premium product"? What about dietary needs such as allergies or celiac disease? If we are able to give extra allowances for them, why not kosher or halal (yes, the meat is more expensive) vegetarian and vegan are diets typically taken upon oneself by choice but whats to stop them from jumping on the bandwagon? If it was so easy to make it happen, it would have by now. I also believe it would be helpful if similar to how WIC has meetings with nutritionists we also had that for SNAP. Some people just dont know what to buy or how to prepare certain foods (or maybe any at all) and theyre intimidated. I scored 10 bags of riced broccoli at my local freegan food share because i was the only one who knew the potential it had - i know if anyone in the crowd knew what an amazing find that was i would have only gotten 1, maybe 2 of the bags i did.

Respectfully, I think you're overthinking things. This thread started out about soda restrictions for SNAP recipients... the S and the N stand for Supplemental Nutrition... Sure there are gray areas, but I think any reasonable person would agree that candy, soda, and the like are poor choices for supplementing nutrition.

I don't think it would be too difficult look at RDA nutrient values vs. overall calories and come up with a simple means to determine what would be effective (from both a cost and a nutrition perspective) supplementation.

I don't begrudge people help if they need it, but as a taxpayer, I'd like to think the government is getting the biggest assistance bang for my taxpayer buck. After all, the more you can drive down the cost per recipient, the more people you can help, right?
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options

Respectfully, I think you're overthinking things. This thread started out about soda restrictions for SNAP recipients... the S and the N stand for Supplemental Nutrition... Sure there are gray areas, but I think any reasonable person would agree that candy, soda, and the like are poor choices for supplementing nutrition.

I don't think it would be too difficult look at RDA nutrient values vs. overall calories and come up with a simple means to determine what would be effective (from both a cost and a nutrition perspective) supplementation.

I don't begrudge people help if they need it, but as a taxpayer, I'd like to think the government is getting the biggest assistance bang for my taxpayer buck. After all, the more you can drive down the cost per recipient, the more people you can help, right?

Agree. Taxpayers expect the government to be good stewards of government funds. Shouldn't we expect/regulate recipients of government funds to do likewise?

Could take beverages with added sugar, the frozen dessert section, chip, candy and cookie aisles as a good start.
  • janesmith1
    janesmith1 Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    Foodstamps: I’m on the fence about whether we should restrict it or not. OTOH - the occasional softdrink should be fine, it’s the people that have their kids drinking powdered sugar drinks daily, soft drinks with and without caffeine, even fruit juice is apparently bad these days but in moderation it’s not that big of a problem.
  • jdlifsey
    jdlifsey Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    By SNAP restricting what foods can be bought with an EBT card doesn't mean the recipient can't drink soft drinks....it just means the soft drinks (or any other less than healthy food) just won't be bought with an EBT card/money. Just like if I saw a person selling "The Contributor" newspaper at an intersection and they're smoking (or a homeless person drinking alcohol), why would I support them by supporting their ability to purchase cigarettes (or alcohol)?
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    Some of the arguments in this debate are appalling! The people arguing that food stamps should be restricted to certain foods are basically saying that the people receiving them don't deserve treats. That attitude is straight out of the 18th and 19th century.

...care to elaborate how you reached that conclusion?

Probably by reading some of the responses in the thread....
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Some of the arguments in this debate are appalling! The people arguing that food stamps should be restricted to certain foods are basically saying that the people receiving them don't deserve treats. That attitude is straight out of the 18th and 19th century.

No, that's not what they are saying at all. It's not about what someone deserves it's about what they expect for someone else to give them for free.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I received SNAP benefits for just over 1 year, after my (now-ex) husband left. I went from 2 incomes to 1 with 2 children to support. I worked full-time and never stopped. The way people use their foodstamps irritates me because I was receiving roughly $170 a month. When I worked in the local grocery store in college, people who were known to be system-scammers (small town, it's not hard to tell who works, and who is able but refuses) who would come in with $900 balances every month. (And then use it to buy TV dinners, candy, and soda...then cash out their cash assistance and buy cigarettes and beer with it).

The WIC program gives out checks that very specifically state what you are and aren't able to buy. It's a pain but it gets the job done and ensures people are buying things that are nutritional or necessary. Not saying you can't have a treat on occasion but the inequity of the system is disgusting.

ETA - I picked up another job (part-time) after a few months when the ends weren't meeting... so 6 hours a week at minimum wage which was $9.00/hr at the time...and they dropped my benefit to $17 a month. That's when I gave up on it because I needed the money from my second job to make rent and pay the electric bill...I didn't have any extra to put toward groceries and then the axed it right down. Can't win.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So far as I know, only adults receive food stamps. So treat them that way.
  • SarahLascelles1
    SarahLascelles1 Posts: 95 Member
    Options

No, that's not what they are saying at all. It's not about what someone deserves it's about what they expect for someone else to give them for free.

it's not "being given for free", it's being entitled to as a citizen of a supposedly civilised country. Is funded by taxes, which everyone pays.

The attitude that people receiving benefits should be subjected to arbitrary controls is appalling.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    So far as I know, only adults receive food stamps. So treat them that way.

I agree, so unless they're unable to work or are working/actively looking for work cut the benefit off.
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

it's not "being given for free", it's being entitled to as a citizen of a supposedly civilised country. Is funded by taxes, which everyone pays.

The attitude that people receiving benefits should be subjected to arbitrary controls is appalling.

The flip side of that equation is that people who pay taxes have an arbitrary amount of money taken away from them to pay for this stuff. Everyone is subject to the arbitrary. There are always two sides to it - we have to find a balance.