Maintaining your weight loss during illness/injury

Options
I am working back from severe exhaustion. It looks like I will not be able to work out at full strength for at least a month, maybe more. I am basically eating BMR calories (1300 down from 1800) because I am not even walking 10000 steps let alone working out.

How have others maintained their weight when illness or injury put a damper on your activity levels?

Replies

• icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I did exactly what you're doing, eating less to accommodate the lower level of activity and sticking to it until i could exercise again, then you can up your calories accordingly. Keep your spirits up, hopefully you get better soon enough.
  • suzelle4
    suzelle4 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Keep your spirits up! You will get through this!
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,832 Member
    Options
    I found that I did not need to cut from maintenance through both an INJURY and an ILLNESS. Specifically you need to eat maybe more when you are fighting an illness. Just keep track and adjust if your weight trends up. But I was down with the FLU for 3 weeks and ate like crazy but stayed about the same. Maybe gained a pound.
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,712 Member
    Options
    I think it varies depending on what the specific injury or illness is.

Do you know what caused your severe exhaustion? That may affect whether you need to eat at maintenance or a little higher to regain some energy.

When I'm sick or injured food doesn't appeal to me. I make sure to get the nutrients I need so that I can recover as quickly as possible because I hate being inactive.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    Options
    This is going to be pretty individual, but watching your eating will be the most straight forward.

When I broke my leg/ankle, for the first couple months I lost weight like crazy, but I have no idea how much of that was atrophy vs fat, although I definitely lost some fat. I was having to force myself to eat though, as I knew I needed it, but my activity dropping that dramatically just killed my appetite.

THEN, the appetite returned, and the stress of trying to save my leg exploded, and things went downhill from there. I KNEW I could keep the weight off by watching my calories, but that was just a stress I wasn't up to dealing with...so, I chose not to worry about it.

Yes, I steadily put on a fair bit of weight, and yes, it kind of sucks having to lose it now, but I still don't really "regret" my decisions at that time. It was a choice I made. I could have dieted and been more careful about my food choices and have less to lose now, but oh well.
  • valine128
    valine128 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's interesting that many of you say to eat more. The cause of exhaustion came from too much work and too much working out. Typically I don't get laid up with it, but I slow down a lot. This time it hit pretty hard. I went from being able to workout as normal to not being able to handle the vacuum. I'm resting. My activity level now is moving around the house and gentle yoga so I don't get stiff. I guess I'm scared to death of losing all the progress I made. Luckily eating is not a problem, however, I want to make sure I don't get carried away.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,981 Member
    Options
    If you're working out pretty intensely, it's a good idea to include a "rest" week of lighter activity. Not sure what you've been doing, but I've seen it recommended enough, and my own experience says it's pretty important when I'm training hard.

For me, I'm doing 4 weeks of intense training, and every 5th week is a "light" week where workouts are easier, and about half as long. This gives me a full week with some extra sleep and my body a good chance to recover from the previous 4 weeks of pushing.
  • valine128
    valine128 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you're working out pretty intensely, it's a good idea to include a "rest" week of lighter activity. Not sure what you've been doing, but I've seen it recommended enough, and my own experience says it's pretty important when I'm training hard.

For me, I'm doing 4 weeks of intense training, and every 5th week is a "light" week where workouts are easier, and about half as long. This gives me a full week with some extra sleep and my body a good chance to recover from the previous 4 weeks of pushing.

I typically do 3 days of HIIT and 2 days of yoga and two days off. I think when I get back to it to try your method. I would rather adjust and keep going than to keep experiencing this. Since I overtrained 7 years ago, I have to be careful. It seems these episodes happen when work and working out get too stressful. Normally I get a sign before it gets bad enough to stop. This time it just hit me without warning.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

Deload? Lol
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I injured my foot awhile back and could no longer do my usual running and walking. I reduced my daily calories to make up for the loss of exercise. I actually lost weight. I also enjoyed the break to a certain extent.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    valine128 wrote: »
    It's interesting that many of you say to eat more. The cause of exhaustion came from too much work and too much working out. Typically I don't get laid up with it, but I slow down a lot. This time it hit pretty hard. I went from being able to workout as normal to not being able to handle the vacuum. I'm resting. My activity level now is moving around the house and gentle yoga so I don't get stiff. I guess I'm scared to death of losing all the progress I made. Luckily eating is not a problem, however, I want to make sure I don't get carried away.

I think it's totally understandable to fear losing your progress, but a little time off shouldn't set you back too much. Even if you do lose some of your progress, I think it's more important to give your body time to recover.

I agree that eating at BMR is probably too little, unless your goal is weight loss rather than maintenance. Try eating at maintenance instead. You want to be sure that your body has the nutrients it needs to recuperate.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

I typically do 3 days of HIIT and 2 days of yoga and two days off. I think when I get back to it to try your method. I would rather adjust and keep going than to keep experiencing this. Since I overtrained 7 years ago, I have to be careful. It seems these episodes happen when work and working out get too stressful. Normally I get a sign before it gets bad enough to stop. This time it just hit me without warning.

Re. the bold....
    Being pig-headed I tend to ignore the subtle signs such as struggling with recovery, plateaued or even declining performance (I dismiss these as "feelings" even though they aren't, in my mind it's just a bad workout or day and needs to be pushed through.....) but the one thing I can't ignore as a true sign is an increasing resting heart rate.

Mine went up from 48 to 54 (12.5%) during a spell of over-training.
    As it's data not "feelings" I take far more notice of it, might be worth you tracking?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I would be talking to your treatment team about this TBH, especially knowing that you ended up with a heart attack from extreme overtraining. Eating is one of the best ways to promote recovery from exhaustion so toying with your diet might not be a good idea, especially since you are probably in a fairly large deficit eating at your BMR. Have you spoken with an RD yet? They are the ones who understand your medical condition and can prescribe a proper diet for your goals and recovery.

Good luck on your recovery and may you be back to full health soon.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

Re. the bold....
    Being pig-headed I tend to ignore the subtle signs such as struggling with recovery, plateaued or even declining performance (I dismiss these as "feelings" even though they aren't, in my mind it's just a bad workout or day and needs to be pushed through.....) but the one thing I can't ignore as a true sign is an increasing resting heart rate.

As it's data not "feelings" I take far more notice of it, might be worth you tracking?

Most excellent point about watching your RHR which I think mostly the data is gathered from when you sleep? When I was down with the FLU mine increased from low 60s to mid 70's for a few days. It is STILL not back to pre injury 55 or FLU but I think it is a sign that your body is under stress and to take it easy.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options

Re. the bold....

This is really useful advice, and something I didn't already know. I also have a tendency to think I should "just push through it" when I'm not feeling well. I am getting better at listening to my body's signals and not dismissing them as just feelings, but sometimes I still don't take them seriously.

Can you tell us more about how you monitor your RHR regularly? Do you have a particular device you recommend, or do you just take your pulse manually?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »

Re. the bold....

This is really useful advice, and something I didn't already know. I also have a tendency to think I should "just push through it" when I'm not feeling well. I am getting better at listening to my body's signals and not dismissing them as just feelings, but sometimes I still don't take them seriously.

Can you tell us more about how you monitor your RHR regularly? Do you have a particular device you recommend, or do you just take your pulse manually?

Just simply take your pulse first thing in the morning. for me at least it's the most consistent time as nothing has been ingested so no food being digested, no external stimulus, no new stress of the day.
    I used to use my Polar FT60 HRM to make the recording/tracking easier but these days I just monitor manually and casually (a bit like my weight!). I'm remarkably consistent at 48 or 49 bpm. If it's different then it prompts me to think why.

It's something I only take particular notice of when I'm in preparation for an event, or unwell, or having repeated poor training performance.
    Another sign of increased stress/cortisol from the over-training was that my weight loss stopped despite a consistent deficit. Weeks 1 - 5 of an 8 week build up saw the expected consistent weight loss, week 6 weight loss stopped and RHR rose.
    I tapered off my exercise and increased calories to maintenance a week earlier than planned and lost the "missing" weight (which was clearly water) and my HR returned to normal.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

Re. the bold....

Most excellent point about watching your RHR which I think mostly the data is gathered from when you sleep? When I was down with the FLU mine increased from low 60s to mid 70's for a few days. It is STILL not back to pre injury 55 or FLU but I think it is a sign that your body is under stress and to take it easy.

When I had that nasty flu this past holiday, it took a solid month before my running HR was back to normal. That thing was no joke.
  • SummerSkier
    Options
    I use a Fitbit HR which tells you your RHR. I think if I took my pulse first thing in the morning it would be higher than that. But it is a way to check it as long as you do it the same time etc every day so you are being consistent.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    @apullum re heart rate/pulse.

I have a little free HR app on my Iphone from Runtastic.
    I use it pre and post workout, sometimes, it isn't a constant monitor.
    It works well for my needs.

Cheers, h.