Afraid of exercise!!

Options
Hi! I actually enjoy moderate exercise....BUT...when I do it, I get hungrier!! So I find myself fearing any workout longer than 30 minutes because it will make me very hungry and want to eat more than I should.
Any advice on this?
Thanks!

Replies

• fatgirlslove
    fatgirlslove Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you eat before you exercise?...I usually don't so I know how you feel.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes! I bring a 24ounce protein shake in a blender bottle to every zumba class.... and it keeps me full and its good for you. Lots of water works for some peopel but I'm just not a plain water drinker. Also nothing wrong wtih eating after a workout -- just make sure you're eating high protein and low carb AFTER. I usually eat the carbs before a workout.
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    You Should be eating after your workouts. Post-Exercise is the prime time to be re-fuelling your body of energy stores and the insulin boost that comes from your recovery meal kick starts your fatty acid breakdown in your body.

You need a mix of carb and protein both in your post-workout nutrition, something simple that you can down right away as soon as you are finished. The carbs go directly into your muscles to replenish your glycogen stores while releasing insulin, and the protein counteracts the muscle tissue breakdown that happens from exercise stress, allowing you to recover more quickly.
  • cameralinds
    Options
    Your body gets hungry because it's fuel has been depleted. I always have a banana (carb) and drink whey protein powder with skim milk (PROTEIN!) That keeps me filled up for a few hours before moving on to the next meal...
  • Isrn2
    Isrn2 Posts: 160
    Options
    I have the same problem. I'm STARVING the rest of the day. What I've done is plan small snacks that fit within my calorie and nutrition guidelines for the day and then I eat about one every 1 - 1 1/2 hours. The nice thing is that at the end of the day I'm not all that hungry and I find myself eating less at dinner.
  • Jconner30
    Jconner30 Posts: 311
    Options
    I get RAVIONOUS hungry. I can eat a whole cow and have room to throw down a bag of cookies. I have to be VERY careful because I do not eat to live, I live to EAT!!!
  • kldmom3ga
    Options
    I actually have this issue. I work out in the AM, so I have a light snack before working out. I usually have fat free greek yogurt because it is high in protein. I have my breakfast after my workout. Hope this helps. :)
  • newme646
    newme646 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thanks y'all! I don't feel like eating/drinking right after a workout, however, if it will keep me from being ravenous the rest of the day, then I will do it!
    Cheers!
  • newme646
    Options
    Thanks to you all, I was brave enough to do a 42 minute brisk walk! Protein shake is in the works!
    Any recommendations for brands that are not too awful expensive?
  • nastytater
    nastytater Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Maybe try eating healthy foods when you get hungry...Kinda like snacking on a carrot or some celery,or possibly a cucumber...Pickles are always good...Flush it all down with water and maybe it'll tie you over until the next meal comes...
  • Bamacraft
    Bamacraft Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm not jumping on the "everythings gonna kill you" ban, just be careful of protein shakes. In a recent test they found very high traces of toxins. You can google consumer reports on protein drinks. Surprisingly it was several name brands. One of which was the one i bought by the case. i eat a couple boiled eggs after w/outs for my extra protein now.

"Some protein drinks can even pose health risks, including exposure to potentially harmful heavy metals, if consumed frequently. All drinks in our tests had at least one sample containing one or more of the following contaminants: arsenic, cadmium, lead, and mercury. Those metals can have toxic effects on several organs in the body."

Here is a couple links.
    http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/2010/july/food/protein-drinks/whats-in-your-protein-drink/index.htm

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/news/20100603/report-protein-drinks-have-unhealthy-metals
  • LauraMarie37
    LauraMarie37 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    You Should be eating after your workouts. Post-Exercise is the prime time to be re-fuelling your body of energy stores and the insulin boost that comes from your recovery meal kick starts your fatty acid breakdown in your body.

You need a mix of carb and protein both in your post-workout nutrition, something simple that you can down right away as soon as you are finished. The carbs go directly into your muscles to replenish your glycogen stores while releasing insulin, and the protein counteracts the muscle tissue breakdown that happens from exercise stress, allowing you to recover more quickly.

Agree with this. Also, chocolate milk is a good recovery snack - apparently the leucine (sp?) in milk helps muscle repair more than most proteins, and of course the higher carb value from it being chocolate milk instead of regular milk.
  • newme646
    Options
    Thanks!