Women in their 40s!

Options

Replies

• kandfj
    kandfj Posts: 16 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    I’m a long time mfp user, and am extremely active, but struggle on the food side. Also a working mom. Would love to join the group to get (and give!) motivation and accountability. This is also my first time using the discussion forums, so trying to figure out how it works... how do I add people, when I do, where do you see the activity? Look forward to connecting and supporting!
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I've never added friends... How does it affect mfp? Sorry for the naive question!

Thank you those that pm'd me :) I appreciate it.
  • GoalGal50
    GoalGal50 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi I’m 44 and (God willing) I’ll be 45 in July, when I hope to be down at least 25 pounds. I’ve been here before, but not seriously. I started back in 2016, but went on vacation and that was it. Even when I was on here before I’d never come into the community. I think it makes a huge difference when you have some accountability. The fact that we are all here and can check in with one another is wonderful. However, now I’m in it for the win and I’m not stopping until I get to where I want to be.

I’ve always worked out and still do. M-F I’m in the gym doing 75 min of cardio, alternate strength training. 44 isn’t 24 so it’s a lot more effort and can de discouraging, but if we stick to it, we will all be in maintenance soon enough.

My first goal is out of the 200’s. I will post my first pic at that time!!

Let’s lose weight Ladies!!!

Please add me because I have no idea how to add you, lol
  • flowerhorsey
    flowerhorsey Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I tried to click on ppl on this thread to add them but I don't know how! Never had mfp friends b4....So feel free to add me and I'll accept if you leave a message too. I'm 43 and very health conscious and try to eat balanced. I've been lifting weights for about 8-9 months.
  • jrae75
    jrae75 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'll be 43 in a couple months. I joined MFP several years ago, but never really committed to logging consistently. Last June, I decided it was time. I am 5'5 and weighed 185lbs at the time. I have lost 30lbs since then and am now at 155. Ideally, I'd like to be 140-145, but that's kind of a soft goal. I'll reevaluate when I get there. I just want to be out of the overweight zone and be able to comfortably maintain it.

My weight loss has kind of come to a stand still. I eased up a little in December and January due to holidays and birthdays. I still logged every day, exercised regularly, and was mindful of my choices, but I wasn't so strict about staying within my calorie allowance. The good news is that I've easily maintained the loss and didn't gain any weight back during those months.

I would like to get that last 10-15lbs off, though, so I'm back to staying within my calorie allowance and not being as indulgent. My general philosophy is that anything goes as long as it stays within my allowance, but I've found that too many days in a row of not so great choices, even within the allowance, isn't an awesome idea for me if I want to continue to make downward progress.

What I've learned so far on this journey is that slow and steady wins the race. I have a sense of peace and patience that I've never had before where weight is concerned. I don't know if it the magic of being in my 40s, but I've been pleasantly surprised by it. If the weight goes quickly, it will likely come back quickly. I don't want to do this journey again, so I'm happy to pace myself if it means I will get to stay where I end up. Also, at 40-something, I don't think fast weight loss will do my physical appearance any favors with sagging skin and wrinkles. Maybe it won't be as much of an issue if my body kind of gets used to the losses along the way. That's my hope, anyway. Good luck to everyone! :-)
  • jrae75
    jrae75 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    p.s. Thanks for whoever commented about the stars saving the post! It drives me crazy not being able to re-find a post I've found interesting!
  • candicew70
    candicew70 Posts: 74 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    47 here. I've been on and off MFP a few times. Last time I achieved my fitness goals of 140, but most importantly I lost fat. I was at 155 and it took me a year to lose it--I was on the slow and steady track. Now I'm back at 150 after slacking off for a few months, but I'm hoping to make progress more quickly as I'm still in good shape. Mid-Jan I got back on my plan of tracking food, lifting, and doing couch to 5K 2-3x week. There are two pairs of pants that are really tight right now that I want to fit into again. Doing this now is soooo much harder that I'm in late 40s, but I'm not getting any younger. And I did it before. Onward! Good luck, all! We can do it.
  • jessbro1977
    jessbro1977 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    40 here and starting over training for SHE half I June, it's been 3 years since I was able to run my first half. I'm up 25 pounds from that run - funny how you can eat that much with stress.... mom of 5 and work full-time, add me if you understand ...
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    43 - not sure how or when that happened! I've got about 10lbs of injury weight to lose again. I'm shooting for 2lbs/month to hopefully get back to happy weight by summer.
  • safleyn
    safleyn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    kandfj wrote: »
    so trying to figure out how it works... how do I add people, when I do, where do you see the activity? Look forward to connecting and supporting!

To add someone, you can just click on their profile name on the left of their post. From this page, click on their name again, and it will take you to a page that allows you to add friend or send message. Add them as a friend and then you'll start to see them as a friend as well as their updates on your page.

I'm going to make another post about creating a group...a group would allow us to have our own space for posts instead of just following each other. Can make posts, etc.

Welcome!

• safleyn
    safleyn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've never added friends... How does it affect mfp? Sorry for the naive question!

Once you add a friend, you'll see them in your stream...updates, logging, weight loss results. You can comment, etc.
  • alleehill2
    alleehill2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, I'm Alicia, I'm 43. I need to loose about 40 lbs. I am a single mom, back in school, working full-time at a new job where I sit all day I have 2 teenage daughters (18 & 16). I'm excited to get to know new ideas, suggestions, and read encouraging things.
  • kandfj
    kandfj Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Yesterday was my first post, this is my second. Did some reflecting today and realized that I’d faithfully recorded weight and intermittently tracked food on mfp for nearly 6 years. In that time I’ve see-sawed ~10lbs, and am currently on the ugly side of that see-saw. For me, being active is easy, but maintaining good eating habits is hard. Yesterday I decided to try the communities to see if having accountability to and support of like-minded people would help. And you know what? I made better food choices today because I thought about this group! Thank you! (Now fingers crossed I say that at the end of the week - my resolve usually weakens after 3 days!). Go ahead and add me so we see each others’ status.