First half marathon recover tips...?

Options
Good Morning guys,

So yesterday, I completed my first half marathon. Now that the adrenaline high has come down, I am beginning to ache. However, nowhere near as bad as when I did my first 10 miler last year.

Now, I know I should have asked this prior to the event, but is there any tips people have for recovery? In the lead up to the run, all I was focused on was the day itself, rather than the follow up! I spoke with a couple of runners during the run yesterday, and some of them mentioned they plan to do a recovery run today?

Is there any food I should be eating? Or is there anything I should have done prior (incase I brave a second go!).

Thank you in advance, the only reason I managed a half in the first place is because of amazing advice from you lot!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    adequate protein, plenty of water.

a walk and some stretching.

i usually have couple of days off running after a half, and i don't often run consecutive days anyway.
  • rockymir
    rockymir Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My recovery protocol is:

As soon as I can eat after the finish line
    - recovery shake (30g whey, 60g maltodextrin, BCAAs, glutamine, salts, whatever else)
    - put on compression calf sleeves and/or pants
    - ice bath, if possible, 15 mins are enough for me or cold water when I get in the shower (legs only)
    - lots of talcum on the feet after drying up
    - lay down with my feet up, 15 mins for every 1/2 hour of race
    - then meals as I feel like because it's not easy to make me eat after a race so I better go with taste

Day after racing
    - time to assess the feet for damage (blisters, etc...) and take care of it
    - cycling, high cadence
    - foam rolling if/where needed

2 days after
    - swimming, 2000-2500m

3 days after
    - first run 30-40 min slow
  • KarenSmith2018
    KarenSmith2018 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    suitable recovery food: protein, veggies, carbs, some king of isotonic sports drink to get the salts and nutrients lost back in. Walk around, don't stay still for too long.
    a nice bath with espom salts potentially.
    stretch and walk around. an easy recovery run can do you some good as well. it does me.
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    congrats...you are getting some good advice
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    For a half, personally some protein and salt rich calorie replenishment and then relax on the day.

I'd be aiming for a short recovery run the following day, perhaps only 5K. No serious distance for about a week.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options

i usually have couple of days off running after a half, and i don't often run consecutive days anyway.

Agreed... emphasis on walking. Or really any sort of low intensity moving should help get/keep things loose.
  • _mr_b
    _mr_b Posts: 302 Member
    Options

This.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your race!! I like to do a lot of foam rolling and stretching, along with Epsom salt baths. If you enjoy, it's a good time to treat yourself to a massage. Drink lots of water too as others have mentioned!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    My first half was my first race of any length. I saw it in the local paper the day before and decided to give it a shot. I have never stretched before or after any exercise or foam rolled. I did notice that fresh oranges tasted so good at the finish line. Take it easy and drink lots of water but I may not be the one to ask. Congratulations on your race!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    One thing I learned the hard way is not to stop moving at the end of the race. I know it's too late for you, but for others who might be reading this, keep walking for 10-15 minutes after the race. If you sit or lie down immediately, your muscles will lock up and it is much harder to loosen them later.

I walk every day, race or not, so my post-race recovery mostly consists of a day off running the day after but with a two or three mile walk. Then the day after that a short easy run and another walk. Then back to my normal running. For post-marathon recovery the recommendation is a reverse taper, so you could do the same thing with your half.

Hot epsom salt baths help muscle recovery. Immediately after a race I usually find I'm not that hungry, but I'll take some Gatorade or beer if it's offered and something salty like pretzels or chips. Fruit can taste good too.
  • swebb1103
    swebb1103 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    The day after I get on the stationary bike for a long, slow, easy workout, nothing too strenuous. It really helps my sore muscles.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I think you have heard.
    Lots of water and gentle movement.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    GiddyupTim wrote: »
    I think you have heard.
    Lots of water and gentle movement.

And one more exercise I would recommend:

Bask in the gentle glow of accomplishment. Congrats on your 13.1.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options

After my first half, my knees ached and the arch of my left foot was pretty sore. Walking didn't seem to aggravate any of it, so I made sure I kept myself moving throughout the day. I waited until the left foot stopped hurting before I went out for a nice, easy 5k. The knees were done aching within 2 days.

Epsom salt baths and foam rolling might be helpful, or a massage if you can get one/have a fried that will help out :)

Some people that run a LOT find that they can handle a short recovery run the day after a race. You may not be one of those people, and that's okay!

~Lyssa
  • Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of the tips.

i went for a long walk last night which definitely helped :-)

@brightresolve - love this! I wish you could bottle the feeling! I am already looking for the next one to enter!

My ankles hurt quite a lot... I think I need to assess my footwear before I do many more miles in my current trainers!

Again, thank you so much for all the tips!
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Well @Skipper111 you inspired me - I started remembering why I have worked to get down to my running weight, why I was increasing my long runs ... It's because I really want to run another half! Thanks for the refresher course on what it's all about.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Walk. Stretch. Foam roll. Don’t just sit (even if you’re sore). Everything will cramp up even more if you don’t move.

Drink water, with added electrolytes if you sweat a lot or don’t get a lot of salt in your diet.

Don’t be shocked if the scale goes up A LOT in the days after the race. It’s water weight. I put on 8 pounds of water after my most recent half; it was all gone in a few days.

Give yourself plenty of time before running again. Your “recovery run” after a first half may be a walk instead; it probably won’t be an actual run. After a first half marathon, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to take a break from running for a week or more if needed, but your recovery time will probably get shorter after each race. Listen to your body.

Register for the next one :)
  • Skipper111
    Skipper111 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Don’t be shocked if the scale goes up A LOT in the days after the race. It’s water weight. I put on 8 pounds of water after my most recent half; it was all gone in a few days.
    /quote]

Ohhhhh my life, i am so trhilled you said this! I weighed myself this morning for the first time all week and have put on 4lbs, I was like, how is that even possible? I will keep an eye over the next few days!

@brightresolve I loved it and will most definitely be signing up for the next one soon. Hope you are too! :-)
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    Walk. Stretch. Foam roll. Don’t just sit (even if you’re sore). Everything will cramp up even more if you don’t move.

Drink water, with added electrolytes if you sweat a lot or don’t get a lot of salt in your diet.

Give yourself plenty of time before running again. Your “recovery run” after a first half may be a walk instead; it probably won’t be an actual run. After a first half marathon, it wouldn’t be unreasonable to take a break from running for a week or more if needed, but your recovery time will probably get shorter after each race. Listen to your body.

Does a half really beat you up that much if you're not looking to run it at race pace? I'm signed up for one in 6 weeks or so and plan to run it at not much faster than my easy training pace.

My longest run thus far is only about 8.5 miles but based on how I felt after that run I didn't really think that 13 would be a huge issue. (I will do longer runs before the actual race though).

Now I'm wondering if I should take off work the next day (the race is on a Sunday)!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Does a half really beat you up that much if you're not looking to run it at race pace? I'm signed up for one in 6 weeks or so and plan to run it at not much faster than my easy training pace.

My longest run thus far is only about 8.5 miles but based on how I felt after that run I didn't really think that 13 would be a huge issue. (I will do longer runs before the actual race though).

Now I'm wondering if I should take off work the next day (the race is on a Sunday)!

i have never taken the day after a half off work... i'm just a bit slow moving... but then i am office based so i'm not doing anything more strenuous than walking to the kitchen anyway!