Danger close calls in the kitchen

Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    The first thing I cooked solo was popcorn on the stove. Unsupervised and without permission. The pan was too heavy for me so when it was done I set it down on a chair seat rather than drop it on the floor. A viynl chair seat. It melted the seat. I may have been 6 or 7 years old.
    When I was about 12 or 13 I baked a birthday cake for a family member. I frosted it with homemade frosting but didn't realize it was a recipe to make hard cake ornaments. The cake was completely encased in a hard shell. I remember beating on it to try to crack open the cake while my family laughed. It was pretty embarrasing at the time. Good for a diet I suppose!
    Dh says the worst thing I have made in 18 years together was some soup in year 2. I think I used frozen vegetables and canned tomato soup. I don't remember. I think the worst thing was some peach turkey burger that just turned into a pile of nasty goo and resulted in ordering in pizza.
    My stove broke spectacularly a month ago with loud noise, a flash and smoke. It was pretty old and the burners had been going bad for awhile but I thought the oven was okay. Nope. Was without a stove for almost 3 weeks. Learned I could bake banana bread in my slow cooker.

Mostly things go pretty well.

• alicebhsia
    alicebhsia Posts: 179 Member
    edited February 2018
    Options
    i forget what i was going to make, but i thought i'd try my hand at deep frying. i must've had the heat too high, because the whole pan of oil caught on fire. huge flames shooting up in my newly renovated kitchen. i don't know how but the backsplash of the maple butcherblock countertop my hubby had just made himself got all burned. thank God i had the sense to quickly put the lid on the pan and thank God i had it handy! will never deep fry anything ever again! would have been awful if i burned the house down!
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    One time I was skinning potatoes to mash and cut myself.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Made bacon before work one day. It took a LONG time to cook (kept it on low so it wouldn't smoke). The next day, I figured I could leave it unattended while I went to go brush my hair.

Note: bacon burns faster when it's not tended #science

I thought I caught in in time and turned on the vent but it still set off all of the smoke alarms in my apartment.... and in my neighbors' apartments.... at 6:30 in the morning.

That was a HECK of a reason to be late for work.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When my wife and I were dating, we'd often trek out to Tuscon to stay at her folks house for a long relaxing weekend when they would go out of town. We were having a cookout poolside and we were getting everything prepped...I was in the kitchen making potato salad and sliced most of the tip of my left thumb off by my in-laws crappy kitchen knives. It nicked the artery and blood was shooting everywhere...ceiling, cupboards, sink, counter-tops...like literally shooting everywhere.

My wife came in from outside and was wide eyed...I asked her to go get me a band-aid and she started dying of laughter while at the same time getting a cloth for me to wrap around my finger and hand and rushing me out to the car to the ER. They sewed it up good and we came home and commenced the detail cleaning of the kitchen.

That was over labor day weekend...we went out to visit them at Christmas and my gift to them was a brand new set of decent cooking knives.
  • _pi3_
    _pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    When my wife and I were dating, we'd often trek out to Tuscon to stay at her folks house for a long relaxing weekend when they would go out of town. We were having a cookout poolside and we were getting everything prepped...I was in the kitchen making potato salad and sliced most of the tip of my left thumb off by my in-laws crappy kitchen knives. It nicked the artery and blood was shooting everywhere...ceiling, cupboards, sink, counter-tops...like literally shooting everywhere.

My wife came in from outside and was wide eyed...I asked her to go get me a band-aid and she started dying of laughter while at the same time getting a cloth for me to wrap around my finger and hand and rushing me out to the car to the ER. They sewed it up good and we came home and commenced the detail cleaning of the kitchen.

That was over labor day weekend...we went out to visit them at Christmas and my gift to them was a brand new set of decent cooking knives.

That's funny ish
  • THeADHDTurnip
    THeADHDTurnip Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I was boiling nipples on the stove and "had" to check something on the computer. 20 minutes later and a fire was literally brewing in the pot.
  • blueheartrisen
    blueheartrisen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sliced my finger pretty good trying to cut frozen bread. The nerves mostly grew back after a number of years but it's still a little twangy if I hit it on something.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I was boiling nipples on the stove and "had" to check something on the computer. 20 minutes later and a fire was literally brewing in the pot.

Funny. I always bake my nipples.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I kept burning my belly - on the stove or the iron or whatever. I just grew too quickly to adjust my brain
  • ChrisBain18
    ChrisBain18 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Make sure there’s no hole in a frying pan full of scalding hot oil.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    My ex and I had a baked chicken dinner with neighbours the night before we were to leave on a 2 week holiday a few years ago. I put the leftover chicken on a plate and put it in the microwave, intending to put in the fridge after we'd eaten. I forgot and left it there.. the stench when we got home was dreadful as it was mid summer..not to mention crawlies everywhere. I had to throw the microwave away.
  • Versicolour
    Options
    Okay, now I am paranoid. I have put a batch of red velvet cupcakes in the oven and left them to fetch my son from school. Technically I should be back in time (I'm just across the road) but I am having visions of my oven bursting into flames while I'm gone!
  • Versicolour
    Options
    Nope. All good. Perfect in fact!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    Couple of years ago, I cut about 1/4 inch off my thumb, but it was still hanging on. Slightly. I didn't want to go to the hospital, so I cleaned it real good and taped it down tight. Hoping it would adhere and heal. Kept from unwrapping it for two weeks. Finally took the bandage off. End of my thumb was black. Had to go to the cutting board, grab a cleaver and cut the blackened end off. Hurt much more than the original wound. Now I have a funny looking edge on the side of my left thumb.
  • MonaLisaLianne
    MonaLisaLianne Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Many years ago I made homemade eggplant parmesan for a dinner with friends. A lot of work, draining the eggplant slices, frying them, making the sauce etc. etc. It always came out great though, so worth the effort. It was cooking nicely in the oven when our friends arrived. We had a couple of glasses of wine and then the timer went off. I opened the oven, picked up the baking dish and watched in horror as it made a complete roll-over, landing face down on the oven door. My wonderful friend walked in, saw what happened and said, "Here - I'll help you scoop it all back into the pan. The guys will never know the difference." Guess what? they didn't even notice that it was now eggplant parmesan casserole because it still tasted great - even with all that black oven crud mixed in.